AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the ak in .22lr today. I've got to say it is probably the roughest looking new ak style rifle I've ever seen. It ain't pretty, which is ok with me as I kinda like my ak's to look a little used. It's got knocks, dings, scratches and generally looks like a used gun.
It has black plastic of some sort furniture with a wierd buttstock that has a rise right at the top of the butt right at the end.
Oddly enough I think it is made from a full size reciever, has the scope mount thingee on the side and everything. All the major parts I looked at had matching numbers, even the top front handguard.
It comes with one mag, and I ordered three additional at about twenty bucks apiece.
Cleaned most of the big shit out of it and took it to a drainage ditch near my place and tried three of the four mags each with a different kind of ammo. The trash remington worked with no malfs. The cheap golden hollow point stuff had a feeding problem, plus this mag didn't work completely. The cci hot stuff worked good but the mag had a weak spring or something and it wouldn't push up the last two rounds. I think that weak mag springs are going to be a problem with all these mags. The mags are built like tanks but the springs seem to be mushy and the followers seem like they want to hang up in the mags. Maybe some wd40 and an air hose with fix the sticking problem. I don't think I want to take one of these mags apart. One of the mags was so rough it wouldn't go into the mag well. A file got it to fit but only after returning from the initial firing in the canal..
Tomorrow I'll take it out and see how it does when I got time to deal with new gun problems.
Thanks for the responses on the original thread.
Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
We'll need to see some pics. East German trainer? The one at my local Dunham's is the Romanian with b-hole stock. Are the mags that came with it plastic or converted metal? I had to trim a little plastic from inside the converted metal mags, same problem as you had, wouldn't feed last few rounds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got the ak.22lr

This is a Rumanian made gun, purchased through SOG.
The mags seem to be the least of my troubles with this rifle. Can't seem to get a complete mag through it without the thing kicking the expended brass back into the trigger works. The butt stock is hollow and they travel all the way back into the buttstock. They get under the trigger return spring, block the hammer, and just generally get anywhere to cause a failure to work properly. Failures to feed, completely eject, double feed, just plain wierd shit happens when you pull the trigger. You never really know what to expect.
Every mag from one to four of the ejected rounds ends back up inside the reciever.

The bolt itself allows them to past to the rear I think. There is a large space betweet the spring tube and the side of the reciever cover. They just bounce back in there and get trapped. After shooting a mag ful, you can shake the rifle and it sounds like you got a big indian rattle.

All the mags look like hell but after a couple of times used they seem to be working a little better. Now the ejector problem is the big thing. Is it the ejector thats bad, or the extractor? Wish I knew.

Anybody know how to fix this problem? I don't think SOG is going to give me back my money, but if they would, I'd send them the gun back and the mags too.

Even though it don't wanna work right it doesn't seem to shoot badly. It seems to like most any ammo and shoots it into an acceptable group at fifty yards, about an inch. If it was working better I would have really tried for some good groups but by the time I even considered seeing how it would shoot I was really pissed at it

I put about 200 rounds through it this morning and had constant trouble with the rifle. If there hadda been a tree nearby, I mighta just wrapped it around that tree.

Any help with this would be appreciated, I don't really want to deal with the distributer, don't know how they will act with this.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I got my feed problems cured, but same sort of thing on ejecting empties. Too cold now up here in Michigan to work on a rifle at the range. I took off the dust cover and shot it, empties clear, problem solved for now. I will continue to work on this when weather warms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drillin n tappin

I been thinking it might be possible to drill two small holes and tap them on the top of the left side of the bolt and attach a small bent piece of metal to block the empties from entering the rear of the reciever.
It wouldn't be much of a piece of metal, just large enough to disallow the casing from going back there. Don't know if the additional weight would slow down the bolt impulse.
Don't really know whether I want to do this but I'm thinking about it.

Michigan, ain't that way up north somewhere? Here today it's 85, sunny, light breeze. The reasons why I moved here are all out there today.
Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Re: drillin n tappin

[/quote] Michigan, ain't that way up north somewhere? Here today it's 85, sunny, light breeze. The reasons why I moved here are all out there today.
Kelly[/quote] Oh yeah. I went skiing yesterday afternoon, pretty soft snow but what the heck, I get a full 5 months of winter here. Snow flakes in the air again today, but no real accumulation. Anyway, I am going to try a dust cover off of a conventional AK to see if the empties clear. I may get out tomorrow, will let you know. I would really like mine to work properly, good enough that anyone could shoot it without any problems.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Even with all of the problems,I still want one!You Guys get the bugs worked out and I'll try to pick one up in the next couple months. :grin:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to tighten the extractor up a little. Don't know if I got it any different or not. Turned the screw on the bottom of the bolt til it wouldn't go any further.
After fooling with it for awhile and putting an empty in the chamber then extracting it easily, then with more force, it seemed to be working like it is supposed to. I thought maybe the hi speed ammo might be some of the problem.
I have two kinds of standard velocity ammo available. One is winchester and it is kind of a grease lubed bullet (older ammo), and some cci standard velocity.
I loaded one mag with the winchester stuff and it worked for about two shots then didn't want to feed, then double fed, didn't want to extract well.
The cci standard velocity worked perfectly for three straight mags. No feeding or extracting or ejection problems.
Those who are having trouble keeping the extracted casing out of the reciever might try a less potent standard velocity round. Preferable a round with a coated bullet like the cci ammo has.
I don't know if this is a permanent fix as it was only 30 rounds, but it is a start.
Kelly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, hopefully the problems are over with this rifle. Only time will tell.
It is possibly a little ammo sensitive, not completely like it was yesterday. I tweaked the extractor, tightening it a little. May have made the difference in some of the ammo.
Some of the stuff that wouldn't work yesterday, cci mini mag works today. The winchester ro grn hp rounds still wont work and the Rem. golden bullet hp won't work.
CCi Standard velocity, and mini mags work fine. Only the win and the rem sent expended brass into the reciever.

I will stick with the cci stuff for the time being and hope they work well for the duration.

there are a couple issues with mags, basically try to double feed, and sometimes rounds just pop up out the top of the mag. Not real often , but it does happen.

The rifle shoots really well. Didn't group it but shot at various targets plinking, shot shells, cans, rocks and pieces of pipe etc. Out to about 50 yards a beer can didn't have a chance. Gotta put this thing on paper.

Anyhow, I'm a more happy camper than I was yesterday with this rifle.
Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I have finally got the bugs worked out of the Romanian RPK trainer. I, being a glutton for punishment bought a WASR .22 to go with the RPK version, here is the story. OK, Here goes. I made it to the range with the WASR .22. This one came with the plastic converted 5.56 mags. It performed flawlessly, no feed problems with the plastic as well as metal mags. All shells ejected a good 10 feet to the right. It was fun to shoot. The RPK .22 was another story. As I may have mentioned on an earlier post, the feed problems were overcome by shaving a little bit from both sides of the inside the front [bullet end] of the mag. I trimmed until the front of the shell would freely slide up and down. I now believe the feed problems are due to the front of the shell not rising up to meet the feed ramp. I tested mine by lightly pushing down on the bullet end of the shell and releasing to see if it popped back up. On both of the steel mags before modifying, the shell would not. After trimming, the front would not stick at all, and would then rise high enough to meet the feed ramp properly. It is my theory that the mag internals are a 2 piece construction and get too tight when inserted into the modified mag body. As for the ejection problem....., here goes. Since I had a new rifle that ran flawlessly parts swapping might help me to understand the problem. I started by swapping the bolt from the new rifle to the RPK. what do you know, no more ejection problem. All the empties cleared out with the cover on! [remember, the RPK .22 would cycle well, but only with the cover off] So, I put the bolt from the RPK in the WASR. Yup, empties would not eject with the dust cover on. So whats the difference between the 2? The extractor! If you look on the bottom of the bolt assembly, you'll see what looks like a straight slotted screw. It is not. I believe it to be an eccentric to control extractor spring pressure. [turn it all you like, it never turns out] When closely examined, the slot is off center as a reference to position. As my next step I matched the position of the eccentric of the WASR to the RPK. Glory be, the RPK cycled with no problems for 3 mags! On the 4th, problem returned. Hmmm. Removed bolt to find that the eccentric had rotated to a lighter extractor spring pressure. I took a center punch and made several "set" punches to keep it in place. Here is a pic of the correct position of the extractor spring eccentric.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
???? Pics ?????

....please :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I've posted this several times on several boards, but here is a pic I took of my RPK version last winter. Now that I've solved the feed and ejection situation it is really fun [and cheap] to shoot!
[/img]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Harlan and I played with one of the WASR22 verisons a while back. I had the same problems you guys have.

One thing I think will fix the ejection issue is to change the ejector angle.

If your guns have the same back angle our test piece, it will send some of the cases to the LEFT, instead of the right. I confirmed this while firing it with the top cover off.

It can be adjusted in the same way as a 1911. I might open the top cover too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dieter122 said:
those .22LR AKs are pretty tempting also right now with the ... 'ammo shortage'
I add to that the steep ammo prices when it's available. You can shoot a few hundred rounds of .22LR and a magazine of 7.62x39 instead of the few hundred rounds of 7.62x39 like we used to shoot.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is mine

Used a Romy stock, grip, bayo, and sling, Bulgy hand guards, and tig welded the bayo lug back on. Oh and I also swapped out the dust cover for a real one.

I had almost no problems with mine (almost; when I first got it, I had a few cases get stuck in the dust cover, BUT the problem seemed to just go away, with no tinkering). However I worked on a friend of mine's until I was blue in the face. Every shot would get stuck in front of the bolt. I played with the bolt, and extractor, and nothing seemed to work. My solution was to swap out the dust cover with one from a MAK 90, and to use high velocity ammo. CCI stingers, and a wider space for ejection, seemed to be the key for his to function well. Neither of us had any "magazine" related issues.

I could not get over how nice the triggers are on these rifles! Nice and light, hell, I can even bump fire three or four rounds at a time with mine, from the shoulder!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts