AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an announcement in the local paper that the National Civil War Artillery Association was going to be holding a class today that would get you trained up and certified to be a member of a gun crew on a 20 lb'er, a 10 lb'er, and a 3" field piece.

I figured...."what the hell, that's a life skill I need!", and my friend Lora and I went out and got certified on these cannon.

Pretty damn cool. :twisted:

3" field piece

Mountain rifled cannon (Mountain Howitzer)

10 lb'er

20 lb'er

Certification!

So I'm now Certified Dangerous! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Steen Cannons used to be down on the corner of 13th Street and Bath Ave. here in Ashland. I remember them being for sale. I don't think that Steen is in the business of cannon making anymore, at least not in Ashland anyway.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Take one of the ten pounders to your next Vickers class. When he asks you about how you plan to do rapid fire, simply explain you will have to be winner by default as there will be no target left to fire at...

Or do grapeshot... :twisted:

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Awesome! My father builds old cannons and mortars (he one of those "Mountain Men" guys now). Cannons are great fun - especially firing out over a lake or river! :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Those are nice. Did you get to shoot one or was it just dry practice? Forgive my ignorance, but the 5th picture down shows the inside of the barrel. Is the first few inches rifled or is that for another purpose? You can never have too many certifications.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What a hoot, too bad there were not projectiles involved. My little D cell size turned out to be amazing at penetration. It penetrated thru a washing machine, 4' dirt and into an embankment. They are much more dangerous than most people would think.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Excellent. Old school "God Of War"!
Looks like fun & you never know when that certain skill may come into play. :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
You seem to have a knack for finding your way to all the cool toys... Congrats on the cert! I'd love to hang something like that on the wall of my cube at work!

·
Registered
774 Posts
that is very cool. there's a civil war re-enactment about 3 miles from us every year around the 4th of July. the kids are all grown and living on their own but they still want to go most years. the air bursts from the mortars are very cool but the cannons give you that "thump in the chest" feeling I like.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
you seem to hang out with this lora alot :wink:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Signs of a true Scott! Never pass up a chance to make yourself better!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good Deal, Sir!

I had been certified for years and years here in NC, with my
AWI unit(s) and had progressed from powder monkey up to
gun captain.

God alone knows how many rounds I have fired at private, State,
and Federal parks in a five-state area, mainly three-pounders,
Coehorn morters and swivel pieces.

Never thought too much about it as I am more of a "Direct Fire"
kind of guy.