AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you all ride so figured I'd come ask for some advice. I haven't had a bike in 12+ years so I'm kinda starting all over with this. Can you recommend a good web forum to do some research/reading?

Here's the story.. my uncle had a pretty serious car wreck about a year and a half ago. they basically had to reconstruct his face and his left leg. He's held onto his bike since then but realizes that he won't be able to ride like before so I mentioned my interest and he said yes, he'd sell it.
It's a 1988 883 XLH High Output and other than needing a new front rotor and a speedometer cable it's in really good shape. Chrome is bright and it's been garage kept, fires right up. I'd tell the price I got but you'd all be hatin me so I'll just say that I've spent more for an ak. Anyway, my cousin who just got out of the coast guard and moved back here traded his crotch rocket for a Honda Shadow, I'm getting my permit this week and now I've got a ridin buddy. Glad it's not the end of summer, I'm really excited about this.

· Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Got me a Harley...

MKM said:
Congrats on the ride!!!!

Try http://www.hdforums.com
Bookmarked, thank you Sir.

btw I found out he's throwing in all the extras he has too, saddlebags, helmets, service manuals, etc. I'm gonna give him payment tomorrow and then my cuz is gonna drive it here to the house for me so i can get busy detailing it. I'll be sure to post some pics.

I'm also going to find a safety course to take, like I say it's been a long while and I got two little girls to think about so I'm definately gonna take it easy and be safe.

· Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Those two mentioned forums are great, answered alot of my questions already. Thanks again.

Found out my local college offers a 3 day safety course every weekend for 150. so I'm gonna register for it in a week or two. I'm going in tuesday to get my permit. :party:

Haven't called my insurance company yet for a quote, but I'm with USAA so I'm not too worried. Can't beat them for prices anywhere.

Nice Bike there Mr. Holiday, this thread definately needs more pics, feel free to post em up guys and gals.

· Registered
6,477 Posts

Progressive is a breeze to deal with, I loved them when I had my auto insurance with them. Too bad they don't offer home owners insurance, this is the only reason I switched to Allstate.

· Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Street Legal :thumbsup: Got my permit, insurance, and registration done today. Just have to take the safety course and in 30 days I'll get my license. I showed up for the permit and there was a (suprise to me) written test, didn't even have a chance to look at a book yet but I got a 28/30. Not too shaby.

btw USAA still does the insurance thing through progressive. I got liability and comprehensive for 160. for a year. 40. dollars more and I can get collision which I may just throw on there, can't beat that price.

· Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Sir. I've got a couple helmets to choose from and boots already. My uncle is gonna sell me his double breasted leather riding jacket and chaps, but I'll probably save the chaps for colder weather.

What about gloves, do I need em?

· Registered
752 Posts
I have two pairs depending on the weather.

summer :size med
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... loves.aspx

winter: size XXL
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... loves.aspx

From what I hear Firstgear gloves run small. They're a little pricey but are water proof and really warm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

If you find the jacket too warm for the summer I would recommend this.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... acket.aspx

It comes with two zip out liners and the shell is "mesh"> their description :(Armor-Link mesh material and 600 denier Carbolex® combine with 1680 denier ballistic polyester in the impact areas creating a well-ventilated garment that provides exceptional protection.) You may sweat a little at the stop lights but once you start rolling its like someone turned on the AC. I wear this jacket year round.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.