AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That fancy chest that comes with Marcolmar's PKMs does a lot to complete the package IMO.

I can't afford a PKM so I figured I'd try to find a transit case for my RPD. After searching all over hell I decided that it was a lost cause and started to research Soviet transit cases so I could get an idea of how they were built.

Here's what I came up with. The design is based on an SVD transit case I found a picture of. I just need to add some lettering and install the rails for the wood blocks that secure the gun from the top.

Might add another little compartment for the tool kit and drill some holes for the cleaning rod.

Aside from that it's pretty much finished! :dance:

Its not the real thing but I think the gun looks pretty natural in there.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Freakin sweet!

Needs some mothballs though....winter is approaching...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
:hail:

I've been considering a similar project... that is VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

Post some pics when you get the lettering on there!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenelm52 said:

I've been considering a similar project... that is VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

Post some pics when you get the lettering on there!
I'm working on getting the stencils made today. Hopefully It'll be done by thursday.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jetskrtal said:
Great job!!!
Now I have to build one for my RPD!!!!
Thanks...this was just the prototype so I learned a lot of shortcuts along the way. The next one will be better with far fewer exposed screws etc.

The design will be the same....just the order of assembly will be different to result in a cleaner finished product.

I already cut up the sides and top for Chest #2 this morning
:grin:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RepeatDefender said:
Awesome! I need something like this to store a half dozen Mosins in....
I'm planning on making one of these for my sidefolders and one for my mosins too.

It's kind of addicting.

My wife's not too happy about the new piece of "furniture" in the corner of the living room though.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Wow...this looks good.

What is the wife going to say when see notices transit case #2...LOL..

keep up the good work..I like..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Nice Job, years ago a neighbor of mine got into a fantastic deal on East German manufactured microscopes, made with the usual German high degree of mechanical precision and excellent optics. He must have bought at least 1000 of them and was selling them to high schools, junior colleges, etc. and making a literal killing in the deal. They came packed in these Soviet manufactured crates that like most things Soviet was hurkin strong, he gave me one when he moved away, I use it to store my hvlp painting equipment and other "delicate" items, because I know whatevers inside is safe from the occaisonal bump and bang in my shop, plus the fact that until a few years ago there were a few leaks. The thing was even lined with tar paper, a good idea considering the conditions it could have been shipped in.
The U.S. military being as cash flush as they have nearly always been usually build a crate out of lightweight materials, look at the all the surplus ammo, mortar, artillery rnd, cases flooding the market...wasteful.
Allthough the one thing the Russians could always count on was a vast number of troops to do nothing more than move material, hump ammo, etc.
Did the PKM, RPK team carry everything in the crate, unload set up, fire, then repack and carry. Or was the carrying case primarily used to transfer from one area to another and left at base while under engagement?
All I recall of the M-60 use was a gunner that carried the M-60 and his ammo carrier plus the rest of the squad carrying as many belts as possible, no case, I don't ever remember seeing one in the armorer's area. It must have been originally shipped in something, probably a nice fitted metal case. I recall a bag in OD Green that carried an extra barrel and required tools, cleaning equipment, which was probably the limit of a type of "carrying device".

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I imagine cases like this were just used for shipping. They're pretty heavy to be lugging around form place to place.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Any suggestions for markings that might be semi-correct for an RPD transit case?

I have no clue what would have been on one.

Was planning on just putting a hammer & sickle on one side of the top, on the inside lid and the following in the center of the top cover:

Test shot of the hammer & sickle stencil. I just wanted to see how it would look. It's getting painted over when I do my third coat and I'll do it again in yellow.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
thats awesome thorfinn !!!!
looks very cool and functional and now I have RPD envy :smile:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
p

Real nice ,you should hook up with the guy WTS page for cyrillic stencil's

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I've got two genuine G.I. footlockers I pilfered from my Air Force days in the attic,you've given me a great idea.
Thanks thorfinn.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stencils...The overspray touch up is still drying.

Lid is the name of the gun (it's clearer than it looks in the picture....angle and lighting washed it out a bit)

Inside lid is obviously the hammer & sickle

The left of the front is the stamp of the Kovrov Arms Factory

The right is the data from the top cover of the kit my gun was built from.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kenelm52 said:

That looks GREAT with the lettering and factory stamp! :allright:
Thanks!!

For the record....making stencils by hand.....not a good time :wink:

It was all worth it in the end though. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts