AK Rifles banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
It is a great museum, I have been there three times.

Depending on how much time you have, there is the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapak and Waco airfield in Troy. The Dayton Air Show is July 30 - 31 at the Dayton airport. Champaign Aviation Museum is in Urbana at Grimes Field.
We're flying up very early on the morning of the 29th, so that should give us at least a complete full day to look around. I've been to the small one at Eglin AFB, as well as the one at NAS Pensacola many times, but I've always heard this one is much better.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
We're flying up very early on the morning of the 29th, so that should give us at least a complete full day to look around. I've been to the small one at Eglin AFB, as well as the one at NAS Pensacola many times, but I've always heard this one is much better.
It has been about 25 years since I was there last. It was great then. It has expanded a lot since then.

Reactions: corpsman5

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Been to Eglin and NAS Pensacola myself, but living not far from Dayton I have visited that museum many times, most recent last year and you will be in for a treat. Put the two Florida museums together and they would fit in about half of Dayton.

I am sure you will enjoy it and wish you had a couple of days to take it all in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My son-in-law has a plane, and he invited me to fly up to Ohio with him, his dad, and his son, to the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB for the day. I've always wanted to see that one, but just haven't had the opportunity. Should be a good day.
Awesome.....Some of my dad's buddies, got him a tour of the museum before opening hours, and the staff gave him the run of the place. They let him go behind the ropes and they even allowed him to climb on the F-4 on display. He left his old F-4 Crew Chief Checklist in the front seat of the F-4 before he climbed down.

My dad was terminal with cancer, and his buddies did it as a surprise for him. The museum staff were awesome, and over accommodating that is for sure.

My dad did Aircraft Maintenance in the Air Force, for 26 years, and spent the majority of it on the F-4. So the Phabulous Phantom was his favorite bird. The bird in the museum was one that he actually worked on at one time, for him it was like seeing an old friend one last time. He passed away a few months after the surprise trip.

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
119 Posts
Been to Eglin and NAS Pensacola myself, but living not far from Dayton I have visited that museum many times, most recent last year and you will be in for a treat. Put the two Florida museums together and they would fit in about half of Dayton.

I am sure you will enjoy it and wish you had a couple of days to take it all in.
That the Museum of Naval Aviation is smaller makes perfect sense; naval aviation is but a fraction of the size of the Air Force. It’s not only smaller, but much more mission-specialized.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Did Pensacola NAS twice, and Eglin AFB about 10 times, our unit even did one of our Post 9-11 Awards Ceremonies there.

Regardless of museum size it's always fun to see aircraft, but it made me feel old when I started seeing tail numbers I worked on showing up in the museums.....

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Got a gallon of red raspberry and a couple of gallons of black raspberry wine started, found 4 "milk cartons"of 762 39,2 ammo cans with 762 and 45 automatic, a rock chucker press,and a chicken and rice mre I forgot I had

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I accepted an offer for my house today, got list price. Not sold yet, buyer is having an inspection done.

I put my house up for sale on Monday, signed a contract to sell it with a realtor and it was listed on line to sell. Realtor placed for sale sign in yard on Tuesday. Had someone look at it on Wednesday and they made an offer on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I accepted an offer for my house today, got list price. Not sold yet, buyer is having an inspection done.

I put my house up for sale on Monday, signed a contract to sell it with a realtor and it was listed on line to sell. Realtor placed for sale sign in yard on Tuesday. Had someone look at it on Wednesday and they made an offer on Thursday.
Seems like the market is pretty hot now. Not too long ago you had to sit on two houses for a while, now it's the other way around. You need to buy a new house before you put your old one up for sale, or else you might end up homeless for a while.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Seems like the market is pretty hot now. Not too long ago you had to sit on two houses for a while, now it's the other way around. You need to buy a new house before you put your old one up for sale, or else you might end up homeless for a while.
I plan on renting an apartment and waiting for the housing market to crash to buy another house. Should not be too long with the potato in chief we have.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I plan on renting an apartment and waiting for the housing market to crash to buy another house. Should not be too long with the potato in chief we have.
I have a some friends that did just that. Their houses became so valuable that they decided to sell while the gettin' was good, and live in a trailer or apartment for a while. Brandon has sure turned the world upside down.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts