AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's the SA basic GI model champion.

What should I replace first parts-wize speaking. I know there's a million ways to customize this thing, or should I just keep it simple? :wink:

·
Registered
715 Posts
No, just relax and enjoy it. It's great, as is. Congrats. Save up for a Crimson Trace Laser Grip down the road....if it will be your carry piece.

Get good ammo, try a variety until you find one that shoots to POA at the range you want....then stock up. 90+% of 1911 "problems" are Magazine related. Stick with USGI Mil Spec. , Colt or Chip McCormack (SP).
Rooskie, Winchester White box or UMC ball is fun for plinking, but, you will see a big change from premium stuff. Some of mine like 185gr Corbon and most like Remington 230gr Golden Sabre.

I never liked 1911s when on active duty..(pos, worn out, heavy, ammo availability (then))...but, I developed a serious addiction for personal use...I likes them...:goof:

Looks like my Colt Mod. 04860XS LW Commander , but is not aluminum framed.....

I have an SA PV 9129 longslide and an SA PX 9195 6", V-16 Compensated .45 SUPER....from them and never have had a reason to complain.

The others are Colt, Norinco, Kimber or Sistema..

My S&W 945 is just out of 1911 zone...LOL

I have a Chrome LLama .380 1911, that is a real pimp-gun...

Enjoy your version of a dependable, old war horse.

They are "living" American History IMHO.

This is the best place I've ever found:

http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

:grin:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.

Gonna keep it simple if possible, would like some different grip panels for sure though. :mrgreen:

Also would like to know if there are any plans on dumping surplus Colts back onto the market, I heard something about this a while back, I'd go nuts. :twisted:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ive got the full size model.....all I did was put Houge slab rubber grips on it. Shoots great, its on my CCW. I mostly shoot FMJ in my 1911 as it was made to shoot. Sometime you run into trouble with certain hollow points. Test it out to see what compatible with your gun. I think FMJ .45 will do the job...always has. It seems the more you customize or mess with a .45 the less they want to work. Go with what works.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OldTroop said:
It seems the more you customize or mess with a .45 the less they want to work. Go with what works.
Sounds like good advice, I'll keep that in mine.

Yep, I planned on only using FMJ for practice and carry, I've had problems with HP in a lot of different calibers, don't know if I'd trust them with my life.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Youll love it. I got a SA loaded black and stainless about 6 months back. I really enjoy that gun everytime I take it out. I ran across some wilson combat mags and they seem to work perfect. Also replaced the guide rod with the traditional style also wil/comb. It makes it quicker to dissasemble without the allen wrench.

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
I own one and love it! Matter of fact....(true story I swear) I bought it from Rob Leatham....and no idea who he was!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If it's a 1911 A1 I would change out the main housing spring, I never did like the curve to it. Other than that I would say shoot, shoot, shoot. Around the 1000 rd mark if any MIM parts were to break or develop any fracture you would tell by then.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a SA WW II also. I kepted mine stock. I have a Colt series 80's I played alittle with. So Im keeping it stock. Partly because I wanted a WW II model Clone without the Big $$$ involved with the real thing. I have shot about 200 rnds through it so far and had been flawless. Mostly FMJ. But did run a mag of HP's and it ate them up. Im even keeping the cheesy grips, ust because they came with cheesy grips way back then. Con grads... wardawg

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I run Wilson combat mag's and use the $19.99, 100 round Wal-Mart 230gr FMJ Winchester for plinking in my SA..Eat's it up!!!

ETA: A good PD round is the Federal Premium 165gr Hydra-Shock, low recoil...It has no recoil...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I also have one of the SA G.I. milspec 1911's. The only thing I did was order a set of actualy U.S. military grips. I think they cost me about $10.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys thanks for the feedback.

StreetTrends what can you replace the guide rod with? I kind of don't like that either, doesn't look original to the 1911.

And what is the housing spring?

thanks.

-mark

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frostbite said:
I also have one of the SA G.I. milspec 1911's. The only thing I did was order a set of actualy U.S. military grips. I think they cost me about $10.
where from? gonna start ordering parts this week, before it gets here.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
I found mine at a gun show for $20 W/C. You probablly see the same guy at the shows around you. Its the guy that sells all the mags and wears a nose strip all the time. Main spring housing is the one on the back of the grip. You can change it with a curved or flat piece.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
StreetTrends said:
I found mine at a gun show for $20 W/C. You probablly see the same guy at the shows around you. Its the guy that sells all the mags and wears a nose strip all the time. Main spring housing is the one on the back of the grip. You can change it with a curved or flat piece.
wasn't sure what you replaced it with, that was my question. Like if I see this guy at a Houston gun show, what should I ask him for? (the part that replaces the need for the guide rod).

thanks.

-mark

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OldTroop said:
Springfields use Springfield parts...most colt or USGI parts will not work.
I've seen them though with wilson parts such as the hammers and grip safeties. Is this not really the case?

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you order from Wilsons or anybody with a reputation you tell them its for Springfield....larger companies have the Springfield parts and Colt and USGI parts. Ive been thru this before. MOST USGI AND COLT PARTS WILL NOT WORK.....except if maybe you feel like altering parts which is a huge no no. Email Wilsons and ask them if theres a difference.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is this generally speaking for all the parts, the only ones I was considering switching right off were,

1) Grip panels
2) a better hammer
3) a better grip safety
4) a different trigger

and that's about it. and whatever streettrends replaced his guide rod with.

-mark

·
Registered
368 Posts
If I remember correctly 2,3 and 4 need to be Springfield parts. Better hammer is achieved thru mostly a little polishing and spring selection which I believe all springs are interchangeble. Grips no problem. I was going to buy a new Colt grip safety and found it wouldnt work. The guy selling the parts told me it wouldnt work. Email Wilsons and tell them what you have and what you want to do with it and ask them to tell you if you need Sprinfield or USGI/Colt parts.

Let me add some of the Springfield parts the only differences in other parts of the same kind just might be a small cut or milled indentation in the part.....which has no effect that I know of by using Sprinfield parts in say a Colt. Wilsons can sell universal parts that have those cuts and it wouldnt effect or show on another type 1911.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts