·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever shoot "Golden Tiger?"

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Greetings all. May the Great Spirit smile on this council fire and this far-flung, electric tribe.
Yes. shot it. Not much of it but it strongly seemed to be more consistent than the lacquered Wolf I shot the same day. It is my understanding that the FMJ is a M43 type boat tail and has the airspace in the nose and should have the same tendency to yaw on impact as the Wolf FMJ M43.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I've shot a couple of hundred rounds. It seems to me that it is more accurate than Wolf.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
What Distributors carry it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just picked up 2k rnds locally for 139.00/1000 that was 10.00 less than what they were selling wolf hp for. I remember not that long ago seeing this same thing for 89.00/ case. Anyway I needed the ammo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up a couple thousand if it and can say it's good ammo. I like it a little better than Wolf. It's more accurate than Wolf out of my AK.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
made by VYMPEL plant in AMURSK . russias' most modern ammoplant . which is why the reports of it being noticably more accurate than others .

the FMJBT bullet is similar to WOLFs FMJBT , with the airspace tip but they seem to put a nice basecrimp on it while wolfs is just tubular . into water this design @100M turns to 90deg by 4.5" after immersion and is sideways through and through . sometimes that close the bullet flattens , twists or can look unfired except for the soot smear , riflings and the occasional drop of lead hanging out its butt . @500M is sideways by 3.5" and sideways through and through .

the normal axis spin converts to radial spin if sufficient flesh/liquid substance exists at the RMS of the 4.5"/3.5" penetration range , at 90deg yaw , to cause lead flow within the jacket . if so , it flows into the hemisphere facing impact and the "space" migrates into the trailing hemisphere . if insufficient substance , it just continues to tumble to base first sometimes making two or more loops because its severly baseheavy .

this kind of bullet action doesnt make the huge wounds that fragmenting bullets do but , its action is utterly reliable at any realistic range and nearly as damaging as a fragmenting bullet to liquid filled internal organs hit directly .

the range this bullet and the good 762x39 softpoints give about the same damage is around 175M . after that range , the softpoints dont expand much but still penetrate point first while the Wolf/Vympel bullet is still 1.040" long and .31" wide unflattend .

premo shtf ammo :bow:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent! I just put 200 rnds of it through my Mak-90, it does seem to be a bit on the dirty side. Perhaps I'll go get some more. Seems a bit steep though. :roll:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sportsmans Guide used to have it I bought 1k awhile back

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It's some good ammo. Wish I could get some more.

·
Registered
719 Posts
For anyone in the Detroit area, Gibralter Trade show (Taylor), a guy has 4-5 cases @ $160 I believe, $85 for 500 for sure. I couldn't bring myself to pay that, I still have a little Barnaul left to keep me for a while.

G

·
I like the Golden Tiger more than any other cheap ammo Ive shot.
Ive shot it through my SKS and my AK's very accurate.

I never notice the "dirty" part but whatever.

I'd buy more but the only that sells it near me is $6.95 a box.
For that I shoots some old steele core I have laying around. :evil:

Buy it cheap stack it deep.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a case of Golden Tiger at Knob Creek. We shot it all up and I didn't notice any difference in it and the Ulyanovsk I had been shooting. Seems to be good ammo, just like the Uly. I'd rate Uly and Golden Tiger well above Wolf though. I've seen a wide variety of quality control issues with Wolf. Buy the Golden Tiger with confidence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts