AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
950 Posts
No. GSAD incorporated on July 27th, 1984. According to Kokalis in the September 1984 issue of Solider of Fortune, ClayCo AKs were present at the 1983 SOF Three-Gun International Match, so ClayCo AKs would have beat GSAD AKs to US shores by almost a year.

And some Clayco's came in with Green Bakelite furniture.

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
And some Clayco's came in with Green Bakelite furniture.
Clayco's never came in as purpose green furniture. It is only a recent phenomenon the last 5 years or so of people saying Clayco's have a greenish furniture.

All the Clayco's came in as Black color furniture. The "green" that has been noted by some is due to the aging of the resin used in the manufacturing of the black furniture giving a greenish hue due to the prism effect under certain lighting conditions. Anybody that advertises these Clayco's of having a premium tied to these rifles for having a green hue, are perpetrating a farce.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Clayco's never came in as purpose green furniture. It is only a recent phenomenon the last 5 years or so of people saying Clayco's have a greenish furniture.
Well, the last 10+, as I remember it being mentioned back when I first got into AKs (and saw a set of two ClayCos exhibiting this detail at a local dealer). Still though, it definitely appears to be something that developed over time. The SOF article, which goes into pretty deep detail, just mentioned the furniture as being black phenolic plastic. Can't really make out any coloration detail, as the pics are in black & white.

·
Banned
950 Posts

All the Clayco's came in as Black color furniture. The "green" that has been noted by some is due to the aging of the resin used in the manufacturing of the black furniture giving a greenish hue due to the prism effect under certain lighting conditions. Anybody that advertises these Clayco's of having a premium tied to these rifles for having a green hue, are perpetrating a farce.

Yes but it's still greenish looking. Perpetuation must go on!!! Anyway, I always wanted one- but I sold off my Chinese Ak collection, can't keep them all I guess. The Red Poly sidefolder and the Clayco Green underfolder would round out a collection nicely.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very old ass thread. GSAD were no where near the first imported.
First of all, chinese aks are chinese aks. GSAD, Poly, Woodland, Clayco, etc... All the same quality, maybe subtle in finish. Thats probably attributed to factory, time of import, and freshness of blueing solution at the time of contract.
First mass import? - Clayco, 1984.

GSAD were 1986-87 time frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the value of this rifle now? Mines very similiar to yours except....

ak47.jpg ak471.jpg ak472.jpg

Mine has the Golden State Arms Dist. and Manht Bch CA. stamped on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magazine holder. We have very close serial numbers too, mine is 8708022, hard to see in photo. My father purchased this AK back in 1989 from a dealer in Texas then passed it on to me. Never been fired, NIB. I wonder why they changed where they stamped the Golden State Arms Dist, Manht Bch, CA from when my rifle came in with serial #8708022 to yours at 8708200 only 178 rifles later from the factory? Does yours have the open top front sights or the closed ring with adjusting hole on the top sights like mine does?

·
Registered
279 Posts
If they did, what would happen to the value of the pre-ban Chinese rifles today? I don't imagine it would be good for some of these collectors who have 10+ preban Chinese AK's.

What would be interesting is to see what kind of pricing would be put on these in today's market. I know it wouldn't be like it was back in the 80's, early 90's!

The days of selling a Polytech Legend UF for $4700 like the one that sold on GB a few days ago would be GONE! CRAZY!!!!

I wish political winds would change and Chinese rifles came back with the same volume of variety we have seen from Arsenal.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
If they did, what would happen to the value of the pre-ban Chinese rifles today?
Probably comparable to what Mitchell Yugos go for now vs. before Century started building kits and importing new production rifles.

We'd probably end up seeing the same modern issues as well...Century or a similar importer would probably would work out an exclusive import deal that prevents anyone else from resuming imports, and they'd only import the most generic fixed-stock T56 rifle configuration at the cheapest possible price, with little or no quality control.

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
If they did, what would happen to the value of the pre-ban Chinese rifles today? I don't imagine it would be good for some of these collectors who have 10+ preban Chinese AK's.

What would be interesting is to see what kind of pricing would be put on these in today's market. I know it wouldn't be like it was back in the 80's, early 90's!

The days of selling a Polytech Legend UF for $4700 like the one that sold on GB a few days ago would be GONE! CRAZY!!!!
I could care less what any "collector" has in whatever pre-ban and the market tanking. It is a petty reason and argument to keep the ban just for the sake of a 1% and their collector values.

Same argument comes from guys with pre 1986 full auto stuff and never wanting a repeal because of the value would go down.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts