AK Rifles banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A sniper rifle is a specialized weapon, and normally pretty useless for anything else than its designated purpose. An accurate semi-auto battle rifle or carbine would be a better all-round weapon. Something like a PTR-91 (one of my favorite .308 rifles) or a FAL will hit hard and accurately at long range, but can still be used for CQB. The PTR is a heavy SOB, but if you know how to shoot you can consistently hit a man sized target at 200-300 yards without even using a scope. If you want to use a scope and go out further, you will need to learn a lot about how temperature, wind and other factors affect the bullet, figure out the best load for the gun, practice a lot, keep a log etc. If I had to take a wild guess, this is not really what you have in mind.

The PTR-91 (Precision Target Rifle) looks more impressive than the other suggestions that are really legal, but would it be my best choice.

Time will tell

PTR rifle - Wikipedia

Thank you,

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would that think if you want something 50 state legal with the LEAST amount of hassle, you'd be stuck with pump action shotguns or a bolt/lever-action rifle, but even then you'd have to do your homework on all 50 states to make sure there aren't finer prohibitions on arms. It's possible there are auto-loading weapons that are 50 state legal, but you'd have to do a lot of homework to confirm it. I think Hawaii and D.C. require all guns to be registered, and there may be other locations, so it's not as simple as just buying a "50 state legal gun" and then never thinking about it again.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you're in an SHTF scenario and need to cover some friendlies while they do something, any rifle with a scope will do the trick. You don't need some precision rifle with a high power scope to do that. Something semi-auto with a low power scope will do the job much better as you have better follow up, plus such a rifle is more useful in more situations.

A bolt action with a high power scope is useful, but not so much for actual combat. It would be more useful for hunting game than any potential hostilities unless you are involved in some large scale group action where having a super specialized person is possible and useful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I'm stumped!

1) I have lived and will live all over the United States. What defensive weapon (rife) is legal in all the continental United States? What's the best rifle that I can buy and be legal in the US? I don't want a 12 gage shotgun unless that's the best that I can do.

Am I wrong in thinking that rifles with the levers are legal but are not as good as other rifles seen on YouTube for instance?

What's the best rifle that I should buy to defend myself?

2) To a much lesser extent I'd like to know what's the best hunting rifle that is legal throughout the US?

Thank you,
Michael

P.S.: I have ammunition for a 45 Taurus handgun that I own.
Lever Action rifle. Get a 45 Colt. Or get a pump shotgun. I don't know of any states that these are illegal. A 1911 pistol or 45 colt caliber revolver. I am picking 45 an you mentioned 45 so you may be fond of this caliber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Step 1.
do your research on basic firearms safety, otherwise you will be like all the other idiots who want to buy a gun because the saw it in COD.
Step 2.
Go to a local gun range and look at the prices, rent a few and see what you like and can use, ask the guy behind the counter for his recommendations.
Step 3.
Do your own research on federal and state laws. (It will only take a couple hours) Instead of getting on some online forum for Ak’s and asking about guns that aren’t Ak’s.
Step 4.
Make the purchase. I would recommend if your budget is $2k spending 1000-1500 and the rest on training and ammo.
Step 5.
don’t be a dumbass. Be safe and don’t act better than everyone else.

Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I sent an email to my, more or less, local "store" to ask them for a list of semi-automatic rifles that I could purchase there.

I'm still looking.

I'll do research on my own as recommended.

Thanks everyone for the invigorating advice,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you want an SKS...... any variant will do except the Yugo M59/66a1 as they have a grenade launcher that is regulated in California........ shoots 7.62x39 can be had in the $400-$1500 range depending on country of manufacture, and collectibility.

If I where you I would snag a couple of them, Chinese will be on the lower end of the price range..., this would leave you funds for ammo and practice. SKS’S are very reliable when left In Original configuration, they have an internal non removable Ten round magazine that can be fed with stripper clips.........when buying the clips make sure you buy surplus clips, not any of the new commercial offerings or you can have difficulty loading the rifle....
The old style phosphate coated stripper clips are smoother out of the box vs the ‘newer’ manufactured enamel painted ones which tends to resist the pushing into the internal SKS mag or thru the AK loading guide/spoon without using a beeswax in the rails.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If you want a rifle that is 50 state legal, you really need to do research. Laws vary from state to state and even within states at times. Illinois has different laws for some counties around Chicago. Some states might have different laws for cities too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Seems like the best candidate for a non-scary rifle that will be least likely to be on ban lists would be what Ruger calls a "police carbine". I do not know what the industry name for the category is. These are magazine fed rifles in handgun calibers that are available with the non-scary conventional butt stocks that do not have a pistol grip. These use handgun magazines and 10 round magazines are generally available for all of them.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Seems like the best candidate for a non-scary rifle that will be least likely to be on ban lists would be what Ruger calls a "police carbine". I do not know what the industry name for the category is. These are magazine fed rifles in handgun calibers that are available with the non-scary conventional butt stocks that do not have a pistol grip. These use handgun magazines and 10 round magazines are generally available for all of them.
Called Pistol Caliber Carbine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I haven't decided on a weapon, yet?

Called Pistol Caliber Carbine.
I like the black Hi-Point 4595 carbine with its 9 rounds. The extended magazine (Red Bull etc.) might jam and not feed right.

I don't like all of the accessories that are out there. The Hi-Point magazine holder can throw off my shooting accuracy because of the weight shift when the mags are removed. I don't think I need the Folding Broom Stick.

I can live with the plastic Weaver Rails because I probably won't purchase a lot of the accessories for the top, side, or bottom.

The red/green dot (EG: Tasco PRO Point etc) would be nice at night with a good battery, but again, I think I can live without it.

I can live without the flashlight. I wouldn't want a 100 Lumins flashlight anyway.

I'm worried that the front sight can fall off.

I can live with the plastic trigger.

❓What would be a good scope (EG: UTG Buck Buster 3 by 9 by 32) for the carbine?

So, I like shooting accuracy, range, reliability, and do not want to damag the gun.

I don't like the sling strap that comes with it.

I've heard it's hard to keep it clean!

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you're thinking a PCC, step up to a CZ Scorpion EVO. Heck, I think I'd even buy a Kel-Tec Sub2000 before the HiPoint.
Damn. I've heard a ton of bad shit about the High point 995. Although ugly as sin, I've run a shit load of everything through it and it eats everything and goes bang everytime. And not to mention, they are dirt cheap, or used to be. I fkin love my little P.O.S. but if you have the extra cash, get a better shooter if that's your desire. It will serve my purposes for me however. Just my $.02. @ 50 yards... It hits fairly close to where I'm aming. LMAO. I'd like one of them Bareta's, but I'm just a poor ass dude. To each their own. Get what y'all like and want. This high point of mine ain't picky of what I feed it. To me, that's important!.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I'm sure that you will think that I'm just being a dick, but in all seriousness, it sounds to me like you need to start off with a BB gun, and go up from there. You've obviously never been around firearms, so you need to first spend a good while learning firearms safety.

My advice, would be to attend a hunter's safety course, or some kind of firearms safety course. You can find the closest one to you, by looking online or asking at your local gun shop.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I'm sure that you will think that I'm just being a dick, but in all seriousness, it sounds to me like you need to start off with a BB gun, and go up from there. You've obviously never been around firearms, so you need to first spend a good while learning firearms safety.

My advice, would be to attend a hunter's safety course, or some kind of firearms safety course. You can find the closest one to you, by looking online or asking at your local gun shop.
Or start with a .22 LR rifle.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts