AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I would suggest you find out what the laws are in your area first.
No one rifle is better than another it just depends on what fits your needs better.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
in Mass for instances, licenses are 'may issue' and are completely up to local chief's discretion. In many towns they won't give them to regular citizens, never mind green card holders. It's a defacto ban. while mass specifically does not prohibit ownership by non-citizens, they impose annual renewal (vs every 3 or 5 years), renewal application fee is high, and then chief is not obliged to even move the paper for up to 90 days. Since every gun owner in MA is on 'the list' it's really easy for them to use lapsed license as a reason for future license denial. when i was there i was filing for renewals often 6 month prior to expiration just to make sure i'm in the clear even if they decide to sit on it for maximum 90 days. but even then it's not a guaranty. chiefs tend to do it in batches and then when paper works goes out from local PD to Staties, they not exactly jumping on it the first moment they got it. It's not really too-too bad (or at least it hasn't been 10 years ago) with most chiefs but in some town it's essentially impossible to get it and sometimes keep it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
in Mass for instances, licenses are 'may issue' and are completely up to local chief's discretion. In many towns they won't give them to regular citizens, never mind green card holders. It's a defacto ban. while mass specifically does not prohibit ownership by non-citizens, they impose annual renewal (vs every 3 or 5 years), renewal application fee is high, and then chief is not obliged to even move the paper for up to 90 days. Since every gun owner in MA is on 'the list' it's really easy for them to use lapsed license as a reason for future license denial. when i was there i was filing for renewals often 6 month prior to expiration just to make sure i'm in the clear even if they decide to sit on it for maximum 90 days. but even then it's not a guaranty. chiefs tend to do it in batches and then when paper works goes out from local PD to Staties, they not exactly jumping on it the first moment they got it. It's not really too-too bad (or at least it hasn't been 10 years ago) with most chiefs but in some town it's essentially impossible to get it and sometimes keep it.
I couldn't imagine dealing with stuff like that.

I've only lived in two states, Ohio, and now Florida.

Only thing I ever had to get a sheriff to sign off on was a ATF form 1 or form 4. They always did it while I waited in the lobby. Now we don't even need that anymore.

·
Registered
859 Posts
M1 Garand, although I think even NY guys use special 4 round clips, after that lever guns but a couple states are starting to net those now too. This country is fucked and I HIGHLY suggest all members reading this to get involved at your local state level. In OK we're working on 2nd Amendment Sanctuary but even here we have liberal democrats who wanna block good bills. OK SB631 OK HB1630

Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sounds like you want an SKS...... any variant will do except the Yugo M59/66a1 as they have a grenade launcher that is regulated in California........ shoots 7.62x39 can be had in the $400-$1500 range depending on country of manufacture, and collectibility.

If I where you I would snag a couple of them, Chinese will be on the lower end of the price range..., this would leave you funds for ammo and practice. SKS’S are very reliable when left In Original configuration, they have an internal non removable Ten round magazine that can be fed with stripper clips.........when buying the clips make sure you buy surplus clips, not any of the new commercial offerings or you can have difficulty loading the rifle....
But, a 10 round magazine is illegal, isn't it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
M1 Garand, although I think even NY guys use special 4 round clips, after that lever guns but a couple states are starting to net those now too. This country is fucked and I HIGHLY suggest all members reading this to get involved at your local state level. In OK we're working on 2nd Amendment Sanctuary but even here we have liberal democrats who wanna block good bills. OK SB631 OK HB1630

I like the sniper M1C rifle, 8 round clip. It may be hard to find though. Is the M1 Garand a good defense against more modern weapons?

It might be a backup weapon, a better than nothing weapon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
if you are not US citizen you can not legally own a gun in some jurisdictions. in others you can but it's heavily permitted and up to local LEO's discretion and in a lot of cases it's pretty much automatic 'No'. In other places you need to show the need and that it's justifiable i.e. in the course of your work as body guard or a armored truck driver. Self-defense argument is not going to fly just like all-lawful-purposes will not either, since second amendment does not apply to non-citizens.

if citizenship part is non-issue, there are couple of semi-autos that are 50-states legal or have models that are 50-states legal.

ARs and AKs are right out of the question because they are banned by name or by features in pretty much all west coast and east coast blue states.
you don't need to buy a lever gun to be compliant. you may go with Kel-tec RDB, Kel-tec SU16 have all-50-states compliant featureless model or second alternative is FightLite SCR.

Ruger MINI-s could be a second best alternative and so is the SKS, but both kinda not great choices, especially SKS, obsolete in all respects and also does not guaranty that it's will all-50-states legal 100%. I believe there are jurisdictions where are those two singled out by name.

Aside from certain choice of rifle you need to forget about standard capacity magazines. Only 10-rounders will guaranty that you will never unknowingly brake a law in some liberal shithole of a state.
I'm a United States citizen.

Kel-Tec RDB - Wikipedia

Kel-Tec SU-16 - Wikipedia, see stock closed length

Connecticut may ban it because the length has an overall length of less than 30 inches:

Assault weapons legislation in the United States - Wikipedia

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like the sniper M1C rifle, 8 round clip. It may be hard to find though. Is the M1 Garand a good defense against more modern weapons?

It might be a backup weapon, a better than nothing weapon.
A sniper rifle for self defense? This makes me wonder if your question is serious.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
Its also hard to argue with a shotgun. You don't need a riot gun, just a nice pump action with a slug barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
A sniper rifle for self defense? This makes me wonder if your question is serious.
I'm serious. Basically, my thinking was when I said that was. Let's say, heaven forbid, all services in the US stopped and money was worthless.

This is a long story which I'm just summarizing. Well then, people would start trading for things like they did in the past.

I don't know about you, but I'd be a little scary cat if I didn't have a really good weapon. When my group trades, I'll let others on my team go and do the physical trade. I'll watch them with my sniper rifle to protect them.

That's my summation. I'm serious.

A sniper rifle is better than nothing in the above scenario. With a sniper rifle, I'm physically helping my team (family?). Imagine what could happen if they didn't have a sniper protecting them!

Reference

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it is a fixed mag not detachable...... I am unaware of anyplace in the USA where a SKS is illegal to own.......again as long as it’s not the Yugo m59/66 with grenade launcher.
According to Wikipedia, the SKS (Samozaryadny Karabin sistemy Simonova) might be legal throughout the US.

SKS - Wikipedia

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you want an SKS...... any variant will do except the Yugo M59/66a1 as they have a grenade launcher that is regulated in California........ shoots 7.62x39 can be had in the $400-$1500 range depending on country of manufacture, and collectibility.

If I where you I would snag a couple of them, Chinese will be on the lower end of the price range..., this would leave you funds for ammo and practice. SKS’S are very reliable when left In Original configuration, they have an internal non removable Ten round magazine that can be fed with stripper clips.........when buying the clips make sure you buy surplus clips, not any of the new commercial offerings or you can have difficulty loading the rifle....
Mag fed SKS is illegal in some states due to being classified as an assault weapon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm serious. Basically, my thinking was when I said that was. Let's say, heaven forbid, all services in the US stopped and money was worthless.

This is a long story which I'm just summarizing. Well then, people would start trading for things like they did in the past.

I don't know about you, but I'd be a little scary cat if I didn't have a really good weapon. When my group trades, I'll let others on my team go and do the physical trade. I'll watch them with my sniper rifle to protect them.

That's my summation. I'm serious.

A sniper rifle is better than nothing in the above scenario. With a sniper rifle, I'm physically helping my team (family?). Imagine what could happen if they didn't have a sniper protecting them!

Reference
A sniper rifle is a specialized weapon, and normally pretty useless for anything else than its designated purpose. An accurate semi-auto battle rifle or carbine would be a better all-round weapon. Something like a PTR-91 (one of my favorite .308 rifles) or a FAL will hit hard and accurately at long range, but can still be used for CQB. The PTR is a heavy SOB, but if you know how to shoot you can consistently hit a man sized target at 200-300 yards without even using a scope. If you want to use a scope and go out further, you will need to learn a lot about how temperature, wind and other factors affect the bullet, figure out the best load for the gun, practice a lot, keep a log etc. If I had to take a wild guess, this is not really what you have in mind.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts