AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm stumped!

1) I have lived and will live all over the United States. What defensive weapon (rife) is legal in all the continental United States? What's the best rifle that I can buy and be legal in the US? I don't want a 12 gage shotgun unless that's the best that I can do.

Am I wrong in thinking that rifles with the levers are legal but are not as good as other rifles seen on YouTube for instance?

What's the best rifle that I should buy to defend myself?

2) To a much lesser extent I'd like to know what's the best hunting rifle that is legal throughout the US?

Thank you,
Michael

P.S.: I have ammunition for a 45 Taurus handgun that I own.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Well you are on the AK-47 site. So the logical answer would be AK-47 rifle. What's your top dollar you want to spend?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well you are on the AK-47 site. So the logical answer would be AK-47 rifle. What's your top dollar you want to spend?
Isn't an AK-47 illegal in some states?

The dollar amount that I'm willing to spend really doesn't matter, less than $2k? Basically, I'd like to purchase two weapons and keep one as a backup. Eventually, I could buy two different weapons. Ideally, I'd like to save cash!

What are the laws to own the weapon?

What's the ammunition for this weapon?

Why would I buy this weapon over others? What makes it the best?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
So what state do you live in? You should know the laws of that state you are in right?

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Your question is a bit vague, and it sounds like you need some training in basic firearms safety before you make any decisions. Seriously....look into your local laws first, then decide what rifle and caliber would best fit your needs for the area your in before you go buying a rifle that you may not like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your question is a bit vague, and it sounds like you need some training in basic firearms safety before you make any decisions. Seriously....look into your local laws first, then decide what rifle and caliber would best fit your needs for the area your in before you go buying a rifle that you may not like.
This is practical advise. But, since I continually move from state to state I'm looking for a weapon that is legal in every state. I'm looking to do as good as I can with this single restriction.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
This is practical advise. But, since I continually move from state to state I'm looking for a weapon that is legal in every state. I'm looking to do as good as I can with this single restriction.
Pretty much if you want to pack a rifle while you travel coast to coast without a hick-up, I would guess a lever action rifle, 30-30's fill in real well here. Add a red dot to it, clean and polish the innards to smooth out everything and your good to go.
It's my Moms back up to her S&W model 10.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like you want an SKS...... any variant will do except the Yugo M59/66a1 as they have a grenade launcher that is regulated in California........ shoots 7.62x39 can be had in the $400-$1500 range depending on country of manufacture, and collectibility.

If I where you I would snag a couple of them, Chinese will be on the lower end of the price range..., this would leave you funds for ammo and practice. SKS’S are very reliable when left In Original configuration, they have an internal non removable Ten round magazine that can be fed with stripper clips.........when buying the clips make sure you buy surplus clips, not any of the new commercial offerings or you can have difficulty loading the rifle....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think a high powered pellet rifle. The nerf guns are cool, but ain't nothing like an air gun that shoots real deadly projectiles. Might consider one with a pistol grip and the thing that goes up in the back too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess SKS or Mini 14, depending on the caliber you prefer. Maybe even an M1 Carbine, it's one of the handiest rifles ever made and the caliber is perfectly adequate for the purpose. Really, if it's for personal protection you're probably better off with a pistol or revolver. Shooting a rifle inside a house it painfully loud, and there's an obvious risk of penetrating walls and cause collateral damage (especially if you live in an apartment). A rifle can be a bit cumbersome as well, especially if you have to move around, open doors or take cover. If I have to defend myself in my home I want something that can be used with one hand, keeps the other hand free and doesn't blow out my eardrums if I have to use it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
if you are not US citizen you can not legally own a gun in some jurisdictions. in others you can but it's heavily permitted and up to local LEO's discretion and in a lot of cases it's pretty much automatic 'No'. In other places you need to show the need and that it's justifiable i.e. in the course of your work as body guard or a armored truck driver. Self-defense argument is not going to fly just like all-lawful-purposes will not either, since second amendment does not apply to non-citizens.

if citizenship part is non-issue, there are couple of semi-autos that are 50-states legal or have models that are 50-states legal.

ARs and AKs are right out of the question because they are banned by name or by features in pretty much all west coast and east coast blue states.
you don't need to buy a lever gun to be compliant. you may go with Kel-tec RDB, Kel-tec SU16 have all-50-states compliant featureless model or second alternative is FightLite SCR.

Ruger MINI-s could be a second best alternative and so is the SKS, but both kinda not great choices, especially SKS, obsolete in all respects and also does not guaranty that it's will all-50-states legal 100%. I believe there are jurisdictions where are those two singled out by name.

Aside from certain choice of rifle you need to forget about standard capacity magazines. Only 10-rounders will guaranty that you will never unknowingly brake a law in some liberal shithole of a state.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello,

I'm stumped!

1) I have lived and will live all over the United States. What defensive weapon (rife) is legal in all the continental United States? What's the best rifle that I can buy and be legal in the US? I don't want a 12 gage shotgun unless that's the best that I can do.

Am I wrong in thinking that rifles with the levers are legal but are not as good as other rifles seen on YouTube for instance?

What's the best rifle that I should buy to defend myself?

2) To a much lesser extent I'd like to know what's the best hunting rifle that is legal throughout the US?

Thank you,
Michael

P.S.: I have ammunition for a 45 Taurus handgun that I own.

This will suit your needs and be legal anywhere you can legally own a gun.

Around $100, so you can buy a few, and ammo isn't off the charts expensive.

Crickett single shot 22.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 2 cents worth. I have AK's, AR's HK's, And a few class 3 things. My nightstand has a gen 3 Glock 21 in it. A Glock talks business every time you touch the trigger.
The Glocks job is to get me to the Salga 12 with the 20 round drum.
Handgun is first round of defense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
if you are not US citizen you can not legally own a gun in some jurisdictions.
Are you sure? As far as I know you don't have to be a US citizen, you can still own a gun if you're a "legal resident" (like a green card holder) and I have never heard of any local restrictions anywhere in the US. The only difference is that you have to show your green card and write down your INS number on the transfer form if you buy the gun in a store, which is simply a formality and not cause for denial. No problems if buying privately either, it's just cash and carry like anybody else (where private sales are allowed, of course).

I'm not a US citizen yet, so I checked this with ATF right after I moved here to make sure it was kosher for me to buy and own firearms. I didn't have a problem getting a CCW and FFL either. Of course, this was in TN so there may be some communist enclaves with their own laws regarding this.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts