AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a Yugo captured K98 soaked in Cosmo but pristine underneath :mrgreen:

put the smallest parts and the handguard in the oven last night, got some of the cosmo off the metal, but not a lot, thinking about dropping them in boiling water (heard that works), the handguard however completely baked out the cosmo like I wanted.

But the stock body won't fit in my oven.

It's March, it's not really warm here yet and I don't feel like waiting another month or so for it to heat up and put the stock in the trunk to sweat out the cosmo that way.

I've read on surplusrifle.com of their trashcan cosmo removing furnace using light bulbs. Would like to avoid this, as I'd have to go out and buy everything in that setup (although it might be the best option).

and what's the best way to remove the cosmo from the barrel/receiver?

thanks.

-mark

·
Registered
185 Posts
if it wont take off the finish you can use brake cleaner on the metal

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
After pulling off the stock, I use boiling water to remove the cosmo on my C&R rifles. I hit the whole gun with it, and it works very well. Be sure not to pour the excess water down the sink, as cosmo will act like grease in pipes, and get 'em all cloged up.

I remember that my grandfather's WWII fighter squadron also used the boiling water technique when they had MG's for their planes shipped over from the States.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I use action/brake cleaner for the action, barrel, and gas tube. For the stock I just wipe it down good enough to take the cosmo off the exterior but it still leaves the cosmo smell there. Call me crazy but I enjoy the smell of cosmo.

G

·
I don't like using hot water because water tends to raise the grain and make the wood "fuzzy," requiring scraping or sanding to make smooth again.

If you don't have and oven, use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the stock incrementally, and use paper towels or newspaper to absorb the liquid phase preservative that cooks out. DO NOT use rags because cloth rags with preservative can spontaneously ignite.

Noah

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
i just used some hoppes to get the majority of the parts and the inside of the stock. The next couple times i shot it I brought some rags and just wiped the cosmo off when it got hot.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Here's what I do.

Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a 36" plastic window planter and a $2 bottle of mineral spirits.

Strip your rifle, put everything in the planter, pour the MS over it, and scrub with an old toothbrush. (You'll want to wear rubber or nitrile gloves. The MS is a little harsh on your skin if you soak too long in it.) Keep ladling it over the parts.

Wipe the parts off with rags and oil everything. Pour the MS back into the bottle for next time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys thanks for all the ideas.

last night I boiled all the metal parts, minus the barrel/receiver, and did a slow heating process with half the stock and a hair dryer. Looks like for the stock, it's gonna take a few weeks maybe of doing that every night. The Barrel and Reciever however, might just be hit with brake cleaner and a lot of scrubbing.

And thanks for the Window planter idea, going to Home Depot tonight for some new ideas for the stock, will check that out.

-mark

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
I've been cleaning this crap off rifles for years, I'm telling you Keroseen works the best, try it out you'll see. For a stock I put it in a black garbage bag and put it in the trunk of my car during a hot day with the stock suspended in the bag.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Motorcityman said:
I've been cleaning this crap off rifles for years, I'm telling you Keroseen works the best, try it out you'll see. For a stock I put it in a black garbage bag and put it in the trunk of my car during a hot day with the stock suspended in the bag.
I'd be on this right now, but it's not hot in my city and won't be for a few more weeks at least. :neutral:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Call me crazy (and I probably won't do it), but couldn't I put the stock under my hood somewhere, let the car run on idle for a little while or would that be dangerous?

G

·
i have had good luck with TSP. i put the stock behind the wood stove to get nice and warm. once the cosmo started sweating i took it to the bath tub and scrubbed it with the TSP mixture, and then rinsed toroughly make (sure you let it dry slowly over a couple of days before trying again). TSP has worked the fastest that i have seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts