AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my MAK-90 for 20 years and not had any misfeed issues until I bought and tried to use some mags made by Gibbs Rifle. At the gun show, they were labeled as Yugoslavian mags. I took my new mags yesterday to the range and every third (or less) round misfed. THis has never happened to me before. The tips of the FMJ rounds are hitting just below the chamber and stopping. Upon comparison with one of my tried and true mags that I have had for 20 years (unknown origin), I found that the rounds in the Yugo mags are not aligning straight ahead, but skewed to the center. See the attached photos - The mag on the right is the Yugo mag, the one on the left is my tried and true mag. The round in the Yugo mag is angled toward the center; also when I add more rounds, the round below the one on top slightly points upward to be level with the round above. I think this is an issue contributing to the misfeeding as well. Looking for advice on what to do... modify the Yugo mags in some way, or get rid of them, or something else? If there are better mags for the MAK-90, I am up for suggestions. Thank you!
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Hand Drinkware Tableware Revolver Hand Finger

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
For giggles, swap the followers between the two and see what happens. If that works, grab some $3 followrs to fix, if not, mags are cheap, grab some new ones that are in spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I swapped the follower and spring assemblies. Seems to work. Wow. So, what do you suggest for a good source of an assortment of followers to choose from? I checked K-var and they do not seem to have the followers I need. See the pic below. The raised section on the follower plate runs the length of the plate. Do you know the manufacutre/origin of this follower and where I can find them? Please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Post a "want to buy" in the Marketplace section and see if someone has a leftover Yugo follower to sell/send for cheap. Buying from a commercial source is going to have you almost at the cost of a new mag.

FWIW, mags are considered expendable and they made a bazillion of them so a few turds will get through. Do not get in a loop of burning more money and time trying to fix it. I also check a couple of my Yugo mags for bullet placement like your first pic and they do seem to center the round a little more than a Chinese mag but not quite as bad as your pic shows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If those are the Gibbs/Matra mags, Gibbs has a no explanation replacement policy on those mags. Just call them. They will replace them.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
maybe it was the improvements they made in the mag design that made it jam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts