AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most amazing airplane in History....For the Airplane Buffs*.

Built in Russia during the 1930s, it flew 11 times before crashing and
killing 15 people.

The designer, Konstantin Kalinin, wanted to build two more planes but the
project was scrapped.

Later, Stalin had Kalinin executed.

Evidently, it was not good to fail on an expensive project under Stalin.

It's got propellers on the back of the wings, too. You can count 12
engines facing front.

The size would be equivalent to the Empire State Building on its side.

And you think the 747 was big... not only a bunch of engines but check out
the cannons the thing was carrying.

In the 1930s the Russian army was obsessed by the idea of creating huge planes.

At that time they were proposed to have as many propellers as possible to
help carry those huge flying fortresses into the air, jet propulsion has
not been implemented yet.

Not many photos were saved from those times because of the high secrecy
levels of such projects and because a lot of time has already passed.

Can you imagine what it would be like sitting in this thing when those cannons go off?

Looks like something out of a Jules Verne novel

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think it's kinda cool. Looks impractical, but I bet it would be a sight in the air!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've seen that picture before and thought is was a photoshop job .

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Looks like a flying aircraft carrier or something haha, interesting

·
Registered
678 Posts
Come on guys. This isn't a real airplane. There was an aircraft that looked like this that they scaled up and added engines and the guns and stuff with computer enhancement. The real aircraft they used as a basis for these silly pics was about 1/4 the size. Here's a pic of the real thing. It was so shitty that it could barely stay in the air and ultimately went down.

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/k-7-1.jpg

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
These pictures have been around for years. They were made by aircraft enthusiasts for fun, not to fool anyone. Fantasy upgrades to an existing a/c.

For Pete's sake, didn't this part send up any red flags?

"The size would be equivalent to the Empire State Building on its side."

·
Registered
678 Posts
HK,
The link you provided is of the baby brother of the world's largest aircraft. That's the Anotnov AN-124 in your link. You've mixed it up with the AN-224. The AN-224 is the biggest of them all.
There is only one flying example of the AN-224 in the world. It is the worlds largest aircraft. But to be fair, we have one that is nearly as big, the C-5 Galaxy and we have over a hundred of those. We were flying those in the late 60's. The Russians built the AN-225 in the 80's.
Here's a link to the AN-225, the ONE airplane that can say that it is the biggest to ever fly.
Antonov 225 'Mriya' Largest Airplane in the World | I Like To Waste My Time

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
MG,
Right you are, I totally spaced that airplane. Thanks for the correction.

HK,
The link you provided is of the baby brother of the world's largest aircraft. That's the Anotnov AN-124 in your link. You've mixed it up with the AN-224. The AN-224 is the biggest of them all.
There is only one flying example of the AN-224 in the world. It is the worlds largest aircraft. But to be fair, we have one that is nearly as big, the C-5 Galaxy and we have over a hundred of those. We were flying those in the late 60's. The Russians built the AN-225 in the 80's.
Here's a link to the AN-225, the ONE airplane that can say that it is the biggest to ever fly.
Antonov 225 'Mriya' Largest Airplane in the World | I Like To Waste My Time

·
Registered
864 Posts
Many years ago they had an International Air Exposition at Brown Field along the Mexican border in San Diego. The Ruskies had the Antonov 224 on display there. My wife, kids and I went to check out the planes the day before they opened the Expo. There were a few people checking out stuff and we went over to the Antonov and climbed the stairs to the door. We walked right in and the crew was pretty surprised, but actually gave us a short tour of the craft. They couldn't speak english and I don't speak russian. My kids were ecstatic and the one thing that I remember to this day is the cargo bay floor. Other than being huge, traction was provided by thousands of individual dots of aluminium weld. The next day they were charging admission to get into the Expo and no one was allowed on the Antonov!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Many years ago they had an International Air Exposition at Brown Field along the Mexican border in San Diego. The Ruskies had the Antonov 224 on display there. My wife, kids and I went to check out the planes the day before they opened the Expo. There were a few people checking out stuff and we went over to the Antonov and climbed the stairs to the door. We walked right in and the crew was pretty surprised, but actually gave us a short tour of the craft. They couldn't speak english and I don't speak russian. My kids were ecstatic and the one thing that I remember to this day is the cargo bay floor. Other than being huge, traction was provided by thousands of individual dots of aluminium weld. The next day they were charging admission to get into the Expo and no one was allowed on the Antonov!
Ha! I was at that air show. The one thing that stuck in my mind was watching that thing take off. At the time, it dwarfed everything there. Awesome thing to see in flight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts