AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating back and forth about all the different ways of refinishing all the metal parts and decided why not ask the group. So here it is.

What in your opinion is the best looking and most durrable AK finish?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I really like the Gunkote finish on my Overland Romy G build.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Moly Resin is durrable, but what do you think about appearance? I only own blued and stainless firearms and have no issure keeping them all clean and very well maintained. In your opinion, does the Moly Resin finished rifles as apealing to the eye as a proper sandblased blued rifle?

·
Banned
698 Posts
Rust Blue.

Costs almost nothing, takes no fancy equipment and is the way the Germans, Americans, British, Japanese and Russians did things before WWII.

Paint is just faster.

·
Registered
945 Posts
For protection nothing beats Gunkote over fresh zinc parkerizing . Gunkote does not have the little "Flecks or Specks" in the final finish like the molycoat tends to. Rust blueing or black oxideing are a controlled form of rust that dates back to the middle ages . It looks great hanging on you wall but it will not hold up well to the elements of nature if you use your weapons at all . A salty fingerprint left on a blued rifle unchecked will rust your blue job. Ask me how I know. I had a mint pre-64 model 70 that had the same thing happen to it. I almost puked pulling it out of the gun safe. :doh:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
fisherman said:
Ok Moly Resin is durrable, but what do you think about appearance? I only own blued and stainless firearms and have no issure keeping them all clean and very well maintained. In your opinion, does the Moly Resin finished rifles as apealing to the eye as a proper sandblased blued rifle?
For the AKs that originally had a paint finish, it looks authentic to my eye. And chemicals don't faze it. Wipe it with acetone, nothing happens.

So for my Hungy builds, it was the perfect thing to use. A cloth and CLP will wipe it clean of all dirt.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have had the slightest amount of wear on the rails with a couple of my builds that i used molyresin on.

However, all of my rifles are parked, then molyresin applied, so that doesn't worry me. I take that back, I have one AK in the safe that doesn't have molyresin, it's Duracoated. In Electric Lavender--my wife's Tantal. :grin:

And I didn't even notice any wear until a few thousand rounds went through them. So it takes a lot before it starts to wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts