AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m thinking of applying for a FFL License. what is the age range for getting one?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Let us know where your storefront is and what hours you
will be open so we can all come shop there!!

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a question. A manufacturer can transfer firearms just as a non-manufacturer FFL can, yes? And while generally a non-manufacturer FFL is required to operate a storefront, a manufacturer is not. Is the process the same for getting either, does either one cost more? Provided you keep the proper records, it seems like it would be better to be a manufacturer since you could sell stuff you build, you could do transfers yourself without keeping a storefront, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
they cost the same but you have to be capable to be a manufacturer!
you can be a home based dealer or manufacturer.
a manufacturer is right above a dealer in my opinion. especialy with the sot.

i am a builder by nature so the choice was clear. :grin:
i love building stuff for people. it has the same reward as building a expensive home. you can build it but most likely not afford it for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
10,320 Posts
My understanding was that you do not have to have a brick and mortar based storefront with the neon sign blazing "Big Johnson's Guns and Sex Toys" to get a FFL. Your place of business just has to be zoned for it with the proper business and sales tax licenses and published business hours.

So in theory, you can run a home base FFL so long as you prove you are zoned for running a home based business. The main problem with this is that you open up your whole house for inspection by the ATF. So during an audit in your side gun room you run your business out of, an ATF agent can by right be going through your wifes underwear and sex toy drawer upstairs if they so choose.

I know during the Clinton years, they clamped down on the kitchen table FFL's by mandating the zoning and business license requirements and to prove you were "in the business of the business" to make money and not be a FFL for personal gain of yourself and your buddies. (Nice run-on sentence)

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
" Your place place of business just has to be zoned for it with the proper business and sales tax licenses and published business hours. "

i have a city home based business license and a state assumed business name. oregon has a thing for home based ffl's. there is no commercial or zoning laws to stop me. no signs of business are to be displayed on my house is the rules.
this is oregon! :twisted:

"The main problem with this is that you open up your whole house for inspection by the ATF. So during an audit in your side gun room you run your business out of, an ATF agent can by right be going through your wifes underwear and sex toy drawer upstairs if they so choose. "

well, i will have my rum and coke in hand.:twisted:
i have nothing to hide!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hootbro said:
I know during the Clinton years, they clamped down on the kitchen table FFL's by mandating the zoning and business license requirements and to prove you were "in the business of the business" to make money and not be a FFL for personal gain of yourself and your buddies. (Nice run-on sentence)
Yep. That's when I turned in my FFL and records. Too much of a hassle. :roll:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm 19 years of age and i was thinking of getting a dealers FFL so i can bypass the hole background check process and i don't have to drive 15 - 20 miles to my local gun shop to get my gun that is transfered from where i ordered it. since Exothermia and turbothis where talking about a manufacturers FFL. which should i get?

·
Registered
446 Posts
oldschoolrussian said:
I'm 19 years of age and i was thinking of getting a dealers FFL so i can bypass the hole background check process and i don't have to drive 15 - 20 miles to my local gun shop to get my gun that is transfered from where i ordered it. since Exothermia and turbothis where talking about a manufacturers FFL. which should i get?
i think you'll find a manufacters ffl is cost prohibitive for just getting around the back ground check. turbo can chime in if he would as i am not sure. but i think they bumped the tax on all the ffls. i think the sot is something like a grand a year. plus the rest.

·
Registered
736 Posts
They won't let you have a FFL just so you can bypass background checks and driving to the nearest FFL.

You have to prove to the ATF that you intend to run a business to make money.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
yes, this is a business license not a hobby license.
the sot is 500 if you are under a million in sales or something like that. if you asre over the money amount it is 1000

·
Super Moderator
10,320 Posts
oldschoolrussian said:
You are wanting a FFL for all the reasons the ATF does not want you to have one.

Trust me, for what you want, it will be easier in the long run to miss a couple of episodes of Sponge Bob and just keep on getting your guns transferred through a preexisting FFL who is actual in the business of the business.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
i would ask any ffl want-to-be " are you a very good record keeper?"
if the answer is not an imediate hell yes! just support the guy that has a ffl.........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turbothis said:
i would ask any ffl want-to-be " are you a very good record keeper?"
if the answer is not an imediate hell yes! just support the guy that has a ffl.........
dude I'm 19 years of age and i have a 18 year old account's with Suntrust and Chevy chase. I still have the papers when they first opened i am 10 times more efficient then the banks. i know there policies better then there senior accountants.

oh and ya i'm trying to get my AK building off the ground right now. but money right now is tight so i have that on pause.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's good to know. now i just have to get bank of America to pay me what they owe me and i can start to get my AK building project off the ground an get my license.

·
Registered
491 Posts
dude I'm 19 years of age and i have a 18 year old account's with Suntrust and Chevy chase. I still have the papers when they first opened i am 10 times more efficient then the banks. i know there policies better then there senior accountants.

I do all my banking with John Belushi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts