AK Rifles banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
Yeah i agree..there was a couple for sale a couple months ago that were only 100or2 above what they sold for originally. Shoulda jumped then but I’ll keep looking

Btw are they gtg? I really dig the markings and that the serial and such is hidden in the magwell. Haven’t heard the best things about DSA but everything I’m reading on these says people are happy with them

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've watched more than one of the DSA Israeli rifles sell for $2k+ on GB, do a search. Didn't believe it myself when I saw it claimed so had to go look.
Right now DSA has a couple of versions of the rifle for sale, one with a cast receiver and one with a forged receiver, which is about $400 more than the cast for some reason.

DSA has made crap and good all within the last two years and have even had some spotty QC in just the last year. Since the introduction of the Israeli rifles (that took nearly six months to ship) I haven't heard a lot of complaints about function or quality. There've been a few trolls bitch about wood quality, knowing full and well they were buying a rifle built from surplus parts but aside from that most all comments have been positive.

DSA has done a lot of positive things recently and it's easy to see they are trying to make improvements. There are still hit and miss problems, one such example recently was a forged G1 receiver that mags wouldn't fit in. I saw this myself in a 2018 vintage type 2, a well documented issue that DSA never acknowledged. So they can still make a turd rather easily in spite of doing it for a couple of decades, no doubt. But they are improving, I'll give them that.
DSA is finally trying answer the call for more receivers, better QC, and forged offerings. Good for them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There's an Argentine on Gunbroker right now. But I'm still at a loss of what to look for. Spent some time on FALfiles yesterday. I now know I want metric, not inch. Stay away from L1A1. Though these appear to be assembled, putting together a Kit is not for me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863341004

·
Banned
2,301 Posts
I've watched more than one of the DSA Israeli rifles sell for $2k+ on GB, do a search. Didn't believe it myself when I saw it claimed so had to go look.

DSA is finally trying answer the call for more receivers, better QC, and forged offerings. Good for them.
Yeah the ones I was considering that sold on gb a couple months ago were like 1700&1800 for the higher priced refinished officer grade. Didn’t seem too bad considering their limited numbers and i think the original prices but I’m not positive were like 15-1600. Anyway lots has changed in a couple months..still holding out for a unrefinished soldier model.

Thanks for the dsa insight!

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
There's an Argentine on Gunbroker right now. But I'm still at a loss of what to look for. Spent some time on FALfiles yesterday. I now know I want metric, not inch. Stay away from L1A1. Though these appear to be assembled, putting together a Kit is not for me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863341004
Although I know never go by looks, it does look ok, but find out who built it. Provided it runs, and has a good barrel, the price is actually not that bad. I passed on an all original Argentine years ago because the receiver was several numbers off the trigger group...stupid I know.

Its my understanding that early Coonan receivers were ok, then the quality slipped, so dig into that a little bit. If it passes the smell test and you decide to go for it, ask for a non firing 3 day inspection period. If the seller agrees and all checks out, I say go for it.

Did I mention buy mags now?

Reactions: scottyb and Bansh88

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a Imbel kit a few years back I sold it,

I am gonna wait and see how things go with the economy, now is not the time to buy not yet anyway, if this turns bad then bargains will be everywhere if it does not oh well

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I had a Imbel kit a few years back I sold it,

I am gonna wait and see how things go with the economy, now is not the time to buy not yet anyway, if this turns bad then bargains will be everywhere if it does not oh well
If there is something in the way of guns you want, and the price has not spiked, now is can be a good time provided you have all your other important bases covered. We will probably see some inflation from the current world situation, and its really anyone's guess as to how bad it will get. I do agree there will be deals in the coming months or years, but will the buying power of the dollar be then?

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up an German G1 built on a Dan Coonan receiver a few years back on GB for $1800. That hurt a bit at that time but it was high on my "want list" and it is a beauty with all original parts. I felt it was only going to be worth more over time and seems I was not wrong.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Regarding pricing, I think you're better off looking off of Gunbroker. I bought two FALs off of Proxibid, both STG58s (one on an Imbel, the other on a forged DSA receiver), for $1400 and $1000 respectively.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on an Arizone Response Rhodesian Kit (repro). Now I need a receiver. Anyone round here have one to sell? I plan to have ARS build it.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
PM sent.

·
Banned
565 Posts
I built this Rhodesian using an IMBEL barrel that was in really good shape. I replaced all the springs with NOS Israeli springs and put a NOS FN gas tube in it. I bought the painted Rhodesian parts one piece at a time. I used a newer DSA Type 1 receiver, worked over the finish to match the lower, milled a hole in the mag well where the Belgian contract SA crest would have gone, and used a Dremel electro-engraver to force match the RA# on it to the bolt carrier. Has a Belgian bolt that came out of a Rhodie kit in it w/new extractor and extractor spring. Got 10X 20 round Rhodesian mags from Sarco when they still had them. Had to do some bending and hammering on a couple to get them to all work properly but they are good to go now. Might replace all the springs in the mags one of these days just for poops and giggles. I blasphemed the gospel of our Lord and Savior The Great Vickers and put a SA carry handle and SA R1 sling on it. The sling took 3 weeks to get here from JoBurg.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts