AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
My apologies on getting the designation wrong. It is marked Centurion 58. Was getting it mixed up with another. Oops, I am human. :D

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
FALs and all their variations can be so hit and miss. Many times one that looks horrible can easily be turned into a great shooter.

I bought an Imbel receiver SA-58 made by Century. Not only were there no part numbers that matched, but I had to be careful buying replacement parts as it was a nice mix of inch and metric. The receiver was an inch pattern, which when I bought it wasn't a problem. As to the part numbers not matching, I went over the rifle carefully and found the Century two piece op-rod was not straight, which could explain why I got it for a great price. A call to Tapco back in the days when they sold to the public purchased a one piece rod and a couple of other parts and I wound up with a very reliable and super accurate shooter. I have no problem holding a 4 inch group at 100 yards using the iron sights, while standing! I can't imagine how accurate it would shoot with younger eyes!

I write the above to let you know that diamonds in the rough are out there. Learn as much as you can so you can tell whether an all numbers matching is really a good buy, or one like mine with no numbers matching but a tiny bit of work to make it a great buy! Your question here is a great start.
I had one of those. It's not a SA58 just a Century S.H.I.T 98! Mine had a hacked metric Imbel receiver capable of taking inch mags and the rest was Indian/Australian and a little bit of Brit

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
SA58 is a DSA designation and are all metric. You won't fine a DSA SA58 with L1A1 parts. You won't find a DSA SA58 with an IMBEL receiver. You won't find a DSA SA58 made by Century. You won't find a DSA SA58 on an "inch pattern" IMBEL receiver. I think you may be confused.

Two piece pistons were junk, Tapco did sell a one piece stainless unit that was good to go and found their way into many a home build.
Some of the last good rifles that DSA came out with a few years back had NOS inch bolts. FWIW, the bush carbine ARS built for me had one as well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Some of the last good rifles that DSA came out with a few years back had NOS inch bolts. FWIW, the bush carbine ARS built for me had one as well.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why? It’s expensive for a 3-4 MOA gun. Parts are more scarce than other options. DSA can be hit and miss but the only new option out there. If you want one for it’s history and sheer beauty, try to get a matching numbers kit built on an Imbel or early DS prefix receiver. A quality kit from Austria, Argentina or Brazil built on one of those will be around $1500-$1800 on the FAFiles marketplace. Sometimes less for a mix master of random sourced parts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Say what you want about century, I’ve rebuilt 6 century inch receivers I got for under a 100 each into metric and they work great now. Bargain if you have machine skills to completely rework the geometry 🤣

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Without starting a new thread, I figured I'd jump in:

Looking to get my first 7.62/308 rifle. Always wanted an FAL type rifle. After learning more about Rhodesia, I'd really love to have something similar to that place and period. (perhaps paint)
DSA seems to be very common in marketplaces. Are these pretty much clones of FN FALs? Is the U.S. furniture easily replaceable like an AK?

Looking at the DSA site, there's 3 pages of rifles. Some patterned after different nations, barrel sizes, bipods, rear sights, carry handles..... It's dizzying.

It's there a "standard" to look for?

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Look for original barrel kits. Stay away from Vulcan, Hesse (duh) and know that Enterprise and Entreprise are two different animals. Imbel (gear logo preferred) DSA and DCI should be good to go but my knowledge is outdated. I think even DSA had a run of not so great receivers but I only saw a blip and not sure what the specifics were.

Inch rifles can be picky about magazines but not Metric, or something along those lines.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Rhodies are great, but it may be slightly cheaper to go the Imbel kit route. Try and stick with an Imbel receiver if possible because the word on the street is that DSA quality has really slipped these past few years. I have no idea if that's true or not, so its best to do some research on your own with that.
If you can, try and find a FAL for sale that is built by someone who knows his way around them, and they do come up for sale all the time. The only thing I'll add is get some mags NOW, and make damn sure you can feed the thing ammo, because now is not the time to try and stock 7.62x51. FALs are great rifles when you have one built out of quality parts by a builder who knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you can, try and find a FAL for sale that is built by someone who knows his way around them, and they do come up for sale all the time. The only thing I'll add is get some mags NOW, and make damn sure you can feed the thing ammo, because now is not the time to try and stock 7.62x51. FALs are great rifles when you have one built out of quality parts by a builder who knows what he's doing.
It was actually my wife's idea to buy a 308. I've been slowly acquiring 7.62 over the years and came across another few hundred rounds last week. I suppose it makes sense to get something that will eat it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
lately I have wanted a Rhodie and they are around, my buddies wife is from there. I missed the boat shame as I have Ar-10

the few rhodie's are for sale, but in the $1,500 range, kits are also dear, spendy, out there

nice rifle

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The reason I went with DSA is because the market was empty nothing out there but the extremely expensive ones.
I got lucky and happened to check DSA's site and they had one style 1 receiver in stock so I bought it.
I was worried because I had read stories about DSA being off on dimensions and milling work needing to be done to get the barrel timed correctly.
But in my case the dimensions were right on the money and going by what the gunsmith that finished the build said everything went together as it should.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
It was actually my wife's idea to buy a 308. I've been slowly acquiring 7.62 over the years and came across another few hundred rounds last week. I suppose it makes sense to get something that will eat it.
Seriously, I would try and look for one built right that's for sale. By the time you get a kit, receiver, and 922 parts, your going to be close in price anyway. Buy mags now....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Seriously, I would try and look for one built right that's for sale. By the time you get a kit, receiver, and 922 parts, your going to be close in price anyway. Buy mags now....
Best place for a good kit build? FALFiles? GunBroker? $1500 is probably top of the budget

I'll have to strike while the $ irons hot. So I need backup rifles to consider as well. Is a G3 realistic to find? CETME? Springfield Scout also has my interest.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
FAL Files is your best bet, but be cautious about a WTB add, because there are lots of people willing to sell you want you want at a high price, especially now.
ARS builds are good, same with Moses. Stay away from anything with a barrel under 18 inches, and snag an Austrian if your able to, because those are hands down one of the best you can get without getting a real deal Belgian made one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
got metric mags, just need a rhodie to "slot the floppies"

Reactions: JoeMomma
21 - 40 of 59 Posts