AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a mak next week suposedly russian. Comes with 2 clips,2 grips(orig red and black), holster, and cleaning kit. Mint cond. In the box. Imported by century.300 bucks. To me it sounds military so I'm thinking it might actually be bulgy. A friend at work set me up with the guy (old gun dealer). Says he's had the thing for years. Anything I should look for when I go to look at it? I'm somewhat familier with the family as I ccw a p64. But any advice would be apreciated.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Don't assume that it's chambered in 9x18. The Russians made many commercial Makarovs chambered in 380ACP. There's really nothing wrong with the 380ACP Makarovs, but all of mine are in the original 9x18Mak chambering.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I would be willing to bet Bulgarian. Great pistols and exactly like the military Russian version. Circle 10 arsenal stamping right behind the slide catch will be the most notable clue. Enjoy as they are great shooters, not to mention a little piece of history.

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
Post pics when you get it, I love Makarov pistols! provided its a real deal Bulgarian ((10)), I think your paying a very price. Unless I'm mistaken, some CAI import Maks had a Houge style rubber grip included several years ago.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I did find out it is bulgarian military. My coworker who is friends with the guy checked it out on wed. Mint condition with all the stuff above and aparently some ammo too!! He said it had the red grip and a black one with the thumb rest installed on it. I sold some k-var funiture and a spam can to fund it lol so now I'm just waiting for the last check to get here so I can go check it out and bring it home

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
Good deal! When you get the pistol, check to see if your mags are numbered to the weapon. One will have the serial number, and the second should have the serial number and the "2".
Unless this has been shot a few hundred times, you might find the trigger a little gritty at first, but it will smooth up after a few range sessions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got it home! Circle 10 bulgy with date code 19 so I'm guessing 1979? Exelent conndition looks almost unfired as there is no finish wear on the barrel from the spring other than me putting it back on (its tight) and no wear on the rails. Finish is real good except a few spots from storage. 1 mag is serialed to the gun with the last 4 digits-1 and the other mmag has another serial-2.
I was really excited to see it was a 79 as I was born in 80. That woulda been real cool. The bad news: I need a grip screw. So if anybody could point me where to find one that'd be a big help! Sorry I don't know how to post pics unless sombody could post them for me if I sent them to you. Thanks again guys!

Edit: nevermind found the thread about where to get grip screws

·
Super Moderator
25,787 Posts
Sounds like a good example, and matching mags is always a plus. Posting pics is easy...try using Imageshack. All you need to do is register an account, then put whatever pics you want on your desktop, hit the browse button, upload, then use the forum link. Copy and paste that link in your thread, and your done.

If I can do it, anyone can. :smile:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Joe! Yea I tried to do imageshack, unfortunatly my son messed up the screen on my laptop so all I have right now is my crappy old work blackberry and it froze after I signed up. Brett said he would be nice enough to post them for me. Thanks Brett!
Pics kinda suck cause they are phone pics but you can get a feel for it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Here you go...

ak-74hero, is there actually a circle 10 engraved on it? If I remember correctly (which is doubtful), my commercial Bulgarians don't have the circle 10, but the military Makarovs do. Regardless, they're pretty much identical anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts