AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All- A newbie here and have a question. I bought a Century Arms AK some time ago. Looked clean when I bought it and test fired it. ran about 6 rounds through it, no issues, then stuck it in the closet. Decided to strip it down and give her a good cleaning. Issue I have is, I couldn't get a pipe cleaner or even a piece of wire of any kind through the gas port hole and into the barrel. I can do this with my old AK made in Romania. Anyone ever have or heard of this problem before. TIA!

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
If there wasn't a gas port, you would not have been able to test fire it successfully.

Is this a US barrel? Common for the guys assembling on new barrels to drill the ports at 90 degrees instead of 45 degrees. That would make it hard to push anything through the port from the gas block end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought as well...doesn't make sense for it to fire without one; but not being able to see it from the end of the barrel while shining a light through the bore made me wonder. Not sure who made the barrel, how would I check for that? The only markings are the serial number and Century Arms info stamp.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Spray some Carb Cleaner using the little red tubes most cans come with down into the gas block as you look down the bore, it will spray through so don't get it in your eye. Also you can remove the punch tool from your buttstock cleaning kit and the pin end will go down through the gas port.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is it an AK-74 type "90 degree" gas block? The hole in them is drilled at a right angle apparently. My old Chinese and Romanian AK's had the 45 degree gas block and you could use the reaming tool or a Q-tip and swab out the hole real easy, but the AK-74's I've dealt with require a 90 degree bend in something to get into the port.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Harbor Freight sells a cheap little set of air brush nozzle cleaning brushes. I've had good luck detail cleaning 90 degree gas blocks/ports with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the suggestions. I believe it is a Yugo. It has the paratrooper folding stock, with a grenade launcher front sight. I tried the carb cleaner blast (thanks for that suggestion Omega) but do not see any spray in the barrel. I can see the hole for the gas block in the barrel when I tilt the bore light but cannot get anything to poke through no matter how I bend anything. I have tried 3 strands of copper wire twisted together hoping to get some sort of visual confirmation that it is free and clear, but no luck. This doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies if you know what I mean. It appears to be a 90 degree rather than a 45 degree from what I can tell. I will probably put it all together and take it out and hopefully run a magazine through it. As I said previously I have not shot much through it. Does anyone know if the diameter in the barrel is a lot smaller than the hole in the gas port. It may just be a combination of the different hole sizes and the angle. But it seems that a blast of compressed air or carb cleaner would be visible in the barrel like it is in my Romanian.

Any suggestions on removing the gas block. Looking at it, it seems to be a couple of pins. Looks like a pain and a lot of drama to get it off....would rather not have to do that, if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Thanks again for the suggestions. I believe it is a Yugo. It has the paratrooper folding stock, with a grenade launcher front sight. I tried the carb cleaner blast (thanks for that suggestion Omega) but do not see any spray in the barrel. I can see the hole for the gas block in the barrel when I tilt the bore light but cannot get anything to poke through no matter how I bend anything. I have tried 3 strands of copper wire twisted together hoping to get some sort of visual confirmation that it is free and clear, but no luck. This doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies if you know what I mean. It appears to be a 90 degree rather than a 45 degree from what I can tell. I will probably put it all together and take it out and hopefully run a magazine through it. As I said previously I have not shot much through it. Does anyone know if the diameter in the barrel is a lot smaller than the hole in the gas port. It may just be a combination of the different hole sizes and the angle. But it seems that a blast of compressed air or carb cleaner would be visible in the barrel like it is in my Romanian.

Any suggestions on removing the gas block. Looking at it, it seems to be a couple of pins. Looks like a pain and a lot of drama to get it off....would rather not have to do that, if I can help it.
I have been watching this thread closely and here is the solution. When the grenade sight is up it blocks the gas port to the piston. Lay the sight back down and your pipe cleaner will go in through
the lowest opening on the grenade sight. Clever design indeed but it will throw you off on cleaning the gas port if unaware of it's internal function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been watching this thread closely and here is the solution. When the grenade sight is up it blocks the gas port to the piston. Lay the sight back down and your pipe cleaner will go in through
the lowest opening on the grenade sight. Clever design indeed but it will throw you off on cleaning the gas port if unaware of it's internal function.
EUREKA!! That did it!!!! Thanks a million TRAAK's!! That did the trick. Lowered the grenade launcher sight and my cleaning tool slid right in. Thanks again for everyone else for their contribution as well. You guys rock!! :smile:

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It helps when the person asking., ID's the weapon type they are referring to. The "I have an AK that..., does so and so".., is hard to diagnose without caliber, country, model; info etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts