AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here shortened the barrell to 16 inch overall including flashhider? Somewhere between the AR and the SAR. Don't have the parts kit to make and SAR and not sure if SBR is worth the trip.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought a factory IMI 392 arm "Post Ban" off of Buddy Hintons board about a year ago , for around $1000.00 . The only catch was that it had a 14 inch barrel with a welded on Cobray barrel extension to make it legal but with the extension, the barrel was close to 22 inches ! It just looked dumb ! Diamond in the rough I thought ! The finish on the outside of the rifle also looked beat up. I had my buddy who is not a gunsmith[ But should be one] cut the barrel extension off . Recrowned the barrel. He then took a piece of round stock and turned it down to the size of the barrel . Then he threaded the barrel , front and rear of the extension [One side for the barrel and one side for the flashider] He made the OAL of the barrel 16 1/4 . He then blind pinned the extension and flash hider to make it legal . Man that thing seemed like a SAR ! I broke down the whole rifle , Parkerized it and applied GunKote over the park like the factory and you could not tell the difference in the finish between my Factory IMI ones and this one. Bought a "AR" handguard , hanger and required amount of 922R US parts . I ended up trading it plus cash for a mint factory pre ban IMI AR model 361 . It seemed really short for 16 & 1/4 and wish I still had it ! :neutral: Jerod

1 - 2 of 2 Posts