AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a galil on an ORF receiver and bought a new torttort receiver. I see the barrel is threaded in so should come out fairly easy, no? I will be sending to Jeff at hillbilly firearms but want to disassemble before sending to Jeff Miller.

Seems easy enough but looking for any heads up before starting. Thanks

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Iv removed stubs by clamping barrel in vice and turning receiver with wrench
All Iv installed were ... barrel chucked in lathe - lock chuck in place - turn receiver with wrench
That all I got

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
figured it was just a matter of secure grip and brute force to un thread the barrel just hoping there isn't any sort of thread locker but who knows.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
heat the stub with the torch or to release threadlocker as well as make thing easier to unthread.
DO NOT HEAT THE BARREL. better yet wrap it into soaking wet rags

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a galil on an ORF receiver and bought a new torttort receiver. I see the barrel is threaded in so should come out fairly easy, no? I will be sending to Jeff at hillbilly firearms but want to disassemble before sending to Jeff Miller.

Seems easy enough but looking for any heads up before starting. Thanks
What all are you getting Jeff to do? I would love to see some pictures of your progress from the start to finish .

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lightening cut in the new receiver right side and scope mount cut on left side engraving and assembly. I would attempt to assemble the thing but I have no means of pressing the rivets. I figure and could be very wrong but the populated barrel just needs to be threaded into new receiver and probably timing set by a go/ no go gauge. That is my hope anyway, Jeff says it's and unfired IMI barrel. The stock just gerts pinned into receiver, that leaves the bullet guide and mag release and trigger guard to rivet on. Trigger and such I can install also. If I am missing something please advise, never built a rifle but have swapped out triggers and populated barrels with a toth tool.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took the Galil apart this morning. Took about an hour. No thread locker on barrel and just took some oomph to get it started. The rivet removal took the most time but all attack from inside the receiver except the bullet guide. All parts in good order.
Now can anyone explain the process of mailing this thing? It will be going with the new receiver.
Also what has to be done with the old receiver, do I need to keep this for legal purposes, do I have to inform anyone that the rifle with that receiver is now defunked. Should I cut up the old receiver?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
you can sell old receiver.

as far as sending it to Jeff, first go on his website and use order form to generate the form. once you receive email confirmation Jeff should contact you and send you his FFL, you need to include FFL and printed order form in the box with your parts. call him to find out when you should ship. he is typically backlogged 2-3 month

1 - 10 of 10 Posts