AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the pleasure of visiting the IWI facility and spending some Quality time with the New Galil ACE Rifles and Pistols. Both the IWI Facility & staff we hospitable and Impressive & Very well organized . We were a bit skeptical of the rifle due to the price but after actually being able to filed strip the gun & look over the features we now believe the gun to be a great value. You really can not get a sense of the Quality of the gun until you can closely look it over etc ,Here are a few pics of the Rifle

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Pictures are fantastic, looking forward to owning one. Price will come down, particularly after IWI discovers that debuting the rifle in 7.62x39 was a significant marketing mistake.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

Pictures are fantastic, looking forward to owning one. Price will come down, particularly after IWI discovers that debuting the rifle in 7.62x39 was a significant marketing mistake.
Could not disagree more on introducing the 7.62x39 rifle first being a mistake. The market is glutted with ergonomic, modern, 5.56 semi-auto choices. The field is wide open in 7.62x39.

Reactions: Tantal

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
The market is glutted with 5.56 products because it is dominated by AR/5.56 consumers. That enormous market share will, in general, not be wooed over to 7.62x39 by the debut of a rifle they know will ultimately be available in 5.56. The ACE stands out dramatically when compared with other 5.56 offerings, and that market segment will be on it like a rash (if only for the sheer novelty) when it comes out in that caliber. 7.62x39 consumers are a much smaller subset of the overall market, and no matter how popular the 7.62 ACE is within that group, it will sell much better when available to a far larger market in the smaller caliber.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
The market is glutted with 5.56 products because it is dominated by AR/5.56 consumers. That enormous market share will, in general, not be wooed over to 7.62x39 by the debut of a rifle they know will ultimately be available in 5.56. The ACE stands out dramatically when compared with other 5.56 offerings, and that market segment will be on it like a rash (if only for the sheer novelty) when it comes out in that caliber. 7.62x39 consumers are a much smaller subset of the overall market, and no matter how popular the 7.62 ACE is within that group, it will sell much better when available to a far larger market in the smaller caliber.
SIG disagrees.

As does Rock River, Colt, and others.

All have produced 7.62x39 rifles that accept AK47 magazines, and are just variants of 5.56 rifles (or 7.62 NATO in Colt's case)

I have considered buying a modern 7.62x39 rifle, as I find the recoil of the caliber fun, but want to be able to have modern rifles advantages like a thumb safety, and the ability to ergonomically mount optics.

As for the price, thats the MSRP. As in, you walk into an average gunstore. If you belong to the "assault rifle of the month" club, you don't do that.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
whoa where did the nearly 2k price tag come from. Mac was guesstimating 1300 area wasn't he? For a price of 2k I'll be buying one like I bought a tavor and the scar. Which was not at all. They are neat and all but I'm not out to have iwi build my 7.62 guns. That belongs to the folks who invented it. I would only be interested in 5.56.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was interested but not so much now that the price is coming in at nearly $2,000. I'm in the camp that believes 7.62x39 was not the best choice for the Galil ACE debut. 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 would have been better choices IMHO.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree, i was planning on buying 1 maybe 2 of these but not at $1900. If I'm dropping that much coin it won't be on one of these. Id still be in at the $1300-$1400 range ..

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 1899.00 price is the MSRP , We believe the price will be tad bit less expensive but will not know for sure until we get closer to the actual release date . I will say the guns are quite impressive /

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I don't know how I feel about the polymer receiver. Then again, if it was steel, it would be over 10lbs.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The main parts that count are METAL not plastic , it really does not have a plastic receiver it si only the mag well area and pistol grip / trigger

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If the plastic mag well and grip piece lower the weight to a manageable amount then it's an acceptable modification in my book. Weight has always been a downside to the Galil rifle. If the selling price is $1500 or below I will probably pick up one of the pistols. Hopefully someone comes up with a quick stock adapter for it also for those like me that want to SBR it.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I like the look, but I cannot deal with that stock. I do not enjoy AR stocks. Any chance you know if the hinge/rear of the receiver is compatible with original Galil parts?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
It looks like the stock is pinned just like a regular Galil. More I look at it, more I see a regular Galil put in a plastic piece that is the magwell, pistol grip and trigger guard. If you remove that bottom plastic piece, I wonder if you can still install regular Galil pistol grip, trigger guard, etc.

I like the look, but I cannot deal with that stock. I do not enjoy AR stocks. Any chance you know if the hinge/rear of the receiver is compatible with original Galil parts?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts