AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
sorry, i was reading on my phone and didn't scroll all the way down.
not whole a lot of options i'm afraid. ATI i think is even more than tortort.
AWO if they are still around. i think i have seen them post on AKF but not sure if they posted galil or CZ-58.
galil receivers were always expensive. before tort was around 10 y. a. we paid higher prices for CNCW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, i was reading on my phone and didn't scroll all the way down.
not whole a lot of options i'm afraid. ATI i think is even more than tortort.
AWO if they are still around. i think i have seen them post on AKF but not sure if they posted galil or CZ-58.
galil receivers were always expensive. before tort was around 10 y. a. we paid higher prices for CNCW.
I guess I'm just going to have to save my penny's, and wait. I have two complete Galil builds minus the lowers, and I was thinking I would build one in 556, and one in 762x39, but it will be a while to save up a little over 1k for both.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Maybe this works out cheaper ... or not, certainly not by much..

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Milled receivers have never been cheap compared to stamped. I think the quality has gotten better along with the price though. I justify the price by considering that less work has to be done, and I want my build to look like original AK variant examples as near as I can build them.

The debate is open as to which stamped receiver company to go with for a stamped build and there is plenty of solid choices.

If you are looking for a milled receiver, there is really only one choice, Tortort. Tortort's attention to detail, quality and customer service has no peers.

I'm at around 15 from Tortort. Mostly mine have been "80%" with about a quarter of them being "100%" Either way they are easy to build on. These include my clone build variants in Soviet, Yugo M70, M64 and RPKs, Polish, Israeli Galils and some VZ-58s I just started building.

The AK building world is still small compared to other firearms. When these threads come up I just can't recommend Tortort highly enough. We are lucky to have such a good vendor and AK Forum sponsor in Tortort.

One of my two Galil ARM rifles built on a Tortort, click on the pics and zoom in for more detail.

I'm just a home/hobby builder. Some of my tools are common, some AK specific, some homemade. My 4 Galil kits came from Numrich and Apex. All of my barrels came from @ApexGunParts, they clocked in, torqued and head spaced with a lot less effort than I thought would be needed. These Apex barrels shoot very well.

@Clarms, I don't see how you will be disappointed by using Tortort for your builds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Milled receivers have never been cheap compared to stamped. I think the quality has gotten better along with the price though. I justify the price by considering that less work has to be done, and I want my build to look like original AK variant examples as near as I can build them.

The debate is open as to which stamped receiver company to go with for a stamped build and there is plenty of solid choices.

If you are looking for a milled receiver, there is really only one choice, Tortort. Tortort's attention to detail, quality and customer service has no peers.

I'm at around 15 from Tortort. Mostly mine have been "80%" with about a quarter of them being "100%" Either way they are easy to build on. These include Soviet, Yugo M70, M64 and RPKs, Polish, Israeli Galils and some VZ-58s I just started building.

The AK building world is still small compared to other firearms. When these threads come up I just can't recommend Tortort highly enough. We are lucky to have such a good vendor and AK Forum sponsor in Tortort.

One of my two Galil ARM rifles built on a Tortort, click on the pics and zoom in for more detail.

I'm just a home/hobby builder. Some of my tools are common, some AK specific, some homemade. My 4 Galil kits came from Numrich and Apex. All of my barrels came from @ApexGunParts, they clocked in, torqued and head spaced with a lot less effort than I thought would be needed. These Apex barrels shoot very well.

@Clarms, I don't see how you will be disappointed by using Tortort for your builds.
Thank you for the detailed information, and your builds look very nice!!!. I will end up going with tort tort, I would like to find an 80 percent instead of the 100%. I have not been able to find any, only the 100% for the Galil 556. I went with Atlantic Firarms for the kits I got, and I'm very pleased with the quality of parts, that came in, but wish they would have come with the complete cut receiver pieces.

I really was wanting to jump into the build, but will have to put it on hold for now. With the Holidays, and everything going on.

Would you happen to know anyone that has a CETME C receiver flat binding JiG? I have had the build kit for a while now, just got a stamped flat, and weld kit, but either have to find the plans to make one. Or find someone that has one that will let me rent it, and then send it back.

Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Thank you for the detailed information, and your builds look very nice!!!. I will end up going with tort tort, I would like to find an 80 percent instead of the 100%. I have not been able to find any, only the 100% for the Galil 556. I went with Atlantic Firarms for the kits I got, and I'm very pleased with the quality of parts, that came in, but wish they would have come with the complete cut receiver pieces.

I really was wanting to jump into the build, but will have to put it on hold for now. With the Holidays, and everything going on.

Would you happen to know anyone that has a CETME C receiver flat binding JiG? I have had the build kit for a while now, just got a stamped flat, and weld kit, but either have to find the plans to make one. Or find someone that has one that will let me rent it, and then send it back.

Thanks again for the information.
I have a HK/Cetme bending die I picked up from RTG parts, RTG Parts - Gun Parts and Militaria - RTG Parts, LLC. I don't know if they are in stock or available anymore.

My AK builds are sadly coming to an end with a few more kits to build, I won't pay rape prices for AK kits. However I have plenty of AR, HK and some misc. kits to build. I've never tried my RTG jig out but plan to over the winter.

I'd try to buy or less likely rent the RTG jig or you can join Weapons guild for more options like a homebuilt jig to build your Cetme and possible rental.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
besides RTG, HKparts has them too.
I personally did not like that particular jig though. it's gonna work in the pinch but there is just no comparison to properly rolled receiver.
i bent probably a dozen of them (G3) and only maybe 2 came out more or less well. some of them came out so bad - flat was ruined. some i could un-ben and re-bend again.
i'm talking about CETME/G3 flats. those show the worst results. MP5s bend much better though.
so if you could find a rolled 100% receiver that would be best, trust me on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts