AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on having some engraving done on my G3 clone to give it that original look. I can't find any good pictures of the German markings, does anyone have a few good pics?

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Let me look around today.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Rob, I know you and I discussed an early G3 for your special project. Not sure on the background of this one without a little research, but I would say it is right up your alley....

Reactions: JoeMomma

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! From what I can find, it seems pre 68 G3s used by the Bundeswehr were marked:

G3 HK
2/67 (as an example for the date)

Was the serial number on the left side, or the right side?

Also, I believe the older ones that were made/issued before 1968 were parkerized, correct?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nice rifle. I used to have one of those Golden State Arms rifles back in the 1970s. Also got another one out of a collection in 1986 which was one of the first 25 (#2001-25). It had no G.S.A. markings. The seller told me the first 25 were imported by Interarms. Strangely it had a metal handguard, but had been in the possession of the original buyer since the early 1960s.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a great read, and I added that link to my favorites for future reference. I recently snagged an original HK complete bolt carrier group that is dated 12/61, but the bolt head is Pakistani. If I told you what I paid for it, you would not believe me. I have other parts coming; old style cocking tube, trigger frame (stripped), and some other smaller items.
I'll get the weld kit, sights, and paddle release parts next week.

Still working on the barrel, but if my friend comes through, I will have a complete Portuguese front end with everything.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Let me know if you run into a spare carrier. I have to source one for my 11 project.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
M4 Carbine has a nice story on the rifle, as well as additional examples:

The HK G3 Semi Auto Rifle... - M4Carbine.net Forums
I had no idea whatsoever that there were earlier imports than the 41. That was an amazing read. Considering how much an hk41 goes for, how much do you think one of those runs??

Great thread. G3 is one of my favorite rifles, but it is going to be a long time before I can afford to add one to the collection

1 - 9 of 9 Posts