AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Navy members make it? Gents, your very own member "Riverine" has finally been selected!

I still have a lot to learn and a long road ahead of me (12 years of service). Just wanted to share my excitement with you guys.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heartbreakridge01 said:
Congrats man! I will have to wait another year :sad: lol
Sucks to hear that brother! It's a good year for Gunners Mates.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Congrats Chief, wear the right brass next time you are around jarheads and enjoy the salutes! :goof:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
USN^Riverine said:
Any Navy members make it? Gents, your very own member "Riverine" has finally been selected!

I still have a lot to learn and a long road ahead of me (12 years of service). Just wanted to share my excitement with you guys.

Cheers!
So CPO that's what like about equivilent to a Corporal in the Marine Corp. :twisted:

Joking of course...you are now officially an "Old Goat'..Congrats

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Elliot308 said:
<-- not Navy or a Marine.

Wut are you guys talking about?
In order to make the Rank E7 in the Navy, you take a test and if you "make board" (aka your test score/performance is higher than the minimum number they put out) you become board eligable. Then a whole bunch of E9's and Officers look over your service record, and performance evaluations to determine if you are the ready for the next pay grade. They only take the best of the best and competiton is pretty stiff. Other things come into play like your Rating (MOS), time in, quotas (this is determined by the magic man in the sky as to how many they want to advance for the year determined on rate, manning etc).

Its not real easy to make the rank of E7+ in the Navy due to this, E4-E6 is based off test scores, time in rate, performance, awards, education, and the quota number for the cycle. Basically they put out a number they want to advance say 100 out of 300, then they will determine a final multiple for that say its like 150.08 for advancement to E5 in rating AD (best rate in the Navy ;) ) So in order to advance from E4 to E5 you would need to score a minimum of 150.08 overall on that exam cycle and thats it. (Test score, time in rate, performance, awards, education and any PNA points you have).

So in order to make E7 you would need to meet the 150.08 requirement with just your test score and performance points, THEN they review what you have been doing, how qualified you are, leadership, community service, off duty education and a slew of other things. Pretty much as an E6 you should be at a minimum be performing at an E7 level in order to get selected as CPO. Riverine is at the top of his game most people pick up E7 in their careers at the 14-16+ year mark due to how competitive it is, some guys never attain the rank of E7 and retire as an E6 at 20 which is higher tennure for the pay grade on active duty.

** sorry the rank E7 in the Navy is Chief Petty Officer or CPO. Hope that clears it up!

I cant speak for other services, but I do believe this how the USMC rates E6 and up. Not sure about the Army and Air Force.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Elliot308 said:
<-- not Navy or a Marine.

Wut are you guys talking about?
Riverine got picked up for promotion to CPO (Chief Petty Officer) It is I believe a E7 rank....kinda a big thing in the Navy for career enlisted personnel.

It is a staff NCO rank requiring not only good job performance, time in service etc. but it also is a peer review promotion as I understand it. To be a Chief the other Chiefs (promotions/review board) have to give you the nod.

"Wetting down" refers to a alcohol fueled celebration where the promotee gets to buy a few rounds for his mates. Traditionally this was a party for newly promoted Officers and they got dunked in the sea or doused with water during the event.

In the USMC they had pinning's...yeah pound the pins of your insignia into your chest, punch in the arm, knee in the thigh and a handshake from everyone in your unit of equal or higher rank...could be brutal....the sea water and booze sounds better...lol

From wikipedia:

Unlike Petty Officer First Class and lower ranks, advancement to Chief Petty Officer not only carries requirements of time in service, superior evaluation scores, and specialty examinations, but also carries an added requirement of peer review. A Chief Petty Officer can only advance after review by a selection board of serving Senior and Master Chief Petty Officers, in effect "choosing their own" and conversely not choosing others.[7]

Advancement into the Chief Petty Officer grades is the most significant promotion within the enlisted naval ranks. At the rank of Chief, the Sailor takes on more administrative duties. In the Navy, their uniform changes to reflect this change of duty, becoming identical to that of an officer's uniform except with different insignia. Sailors in the three Chief Petty Officer ranks also have conspicuous privileges such as separate dining and living areas. Any naval vessel of sufficient size has a room or rooms that are off-limits to anyone not a Chief (including officers), except by specific invitation. In Navy jargon, this room is called the Chief's Mess, or tongue in cheek, the "goat locker". In addition, a Chief Petty Officer, no matter how much he was on "first name" basis with other petty officers before promotion, is always addressed as "Chief" by subordinates and superiors.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
mrkermit said:
Congrats Chief, wear the right brass next time you are around jarheads and enjoy the salutes! :goof:
What he is referring to here is that the uniform of Navy Chiefs and Navy Officers are visually near identical and many young Marines mistake them for Officers and initiate a salute.

Hope this clears it up for you

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spot on Gents! Sorry for the late reply, I'm deployed at the moment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congratulations man, had a few of my friends make it this cycle too. Kinda weird for me since one of them was a 3rd when I worked with him. I guess it was a while ago though.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Congrats, Ben. I know you've worked your ass off for it! :wink:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Congratulations Chief. You have excelled amongst your peers.

My father made Master Chief in 1975 (I was twelve). We were so proud of him.

Thank you for your service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts