AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all the years I've been on the internet gun boards, I don't remember ever reading a thread where someone's fully loaded 30-round AK mags started malfunctioning because the spring took a "set" or became weak.

What are your experiences?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
I never had any problem with fully loaded AK mags...had some loaded for 10 years.

I usually short my "trunk" gun one round for each 10 jus' to be 100% in the function game.

Lollygager :neutral:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,329 Posts
It is the amount of compression and release cycles of a mag spring that does them in. A 20 year loaded mag spring will be in better shape than one that has gone through 2K cycles of compress and release. True mil-spec mag springs have very little to no set when loaded for extended periods of time. The cheaper magazine makers like USA and PROMAG are know to use cheaper spring material that will have a "set" when loaded for extended periods.

A few stories are out there of service members finding 15-20 year old loaded Soviet mags in Afganistan that worked fine.

Hootbro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,551 Posts
What about polys sides bulging after being left loaded for awhile?

Like the Bulgarian AK 74 mags for instance or the waffles for that matter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,498 Posts
I've never had a problem with AK mags being loaded for an extended time,M16 mags are another story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,220 Posts
Hawk45 said:
What about polys sides bulging after being left loaded for awhile?

Like the Bulgarian AK 74 mags for instance or the waffles for that matter.
Not a chance. Theyre reinforced throughout with steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Hootbro said:
It is the amount of compression and release cycles of a mag spring that does them in. A 20 year loaded mag spring will be in better shape than one that has gone through 2K cycles of compress and release. True mil-spec mag springs have very little to no set when loaded for extended periods of time. The cheaper magazine makers like USA and PROMAG are know to use cheaper spring material that will have a "set" when loaded for extended periods.

A few stories are out there of service members finding 15-20 year old loaded Soviet mags in Afganistan that worked fine.

Hootbro
Correct.

A good magazine loaded with good ammo will remain fully reliable and functional longer than you will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Hootbro said:
It is the amount of compression and release cycles of a mag spring that does them in. A 20 year loaded mag spring will be in better shape than one that has gone through 2K cycles of compress and release. True mil-spec mag springs have very little to no set when loaded for extended periods of time. The cheaper magazine makers like USA and PROMAG are know to use cheaper spring material that will have a "set" when loaded for extended periods.

A few stories are out there of service members finding 15-20 year old loaded Soviet mags in Afganistan that worked fine.

Hootbro
+1

Well think of the guys who have found old service 1911 mags or Luger 9mm mags fully loaded and fired them with no problem. Same goes for the Vietnam 20rd M16 mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I work with a fellow who came to America from the former Yugoslavia in 2000. He was in the military (didn't ask which side he was in during the various conflicts), so I brought up the question to him. He stated that he typically loaded his magazines with 28 rounds because they found that every once in a while they'd have an issue, and eventually it just became natural to only load 28 rounds. Personally, I load mine with all 30, and have never had an issue.

-GreatWarAZ
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,329 Posts
GreatWarAZ said:
I work with a fellow who came to America from the former Yugoslavia in 2000. He was in the military (didn't ask which side he was in during the various conflicts), so I brought up the question to him. He stated that he typically loaded his magazines with 28 rounds because they found that every once in a while they'd have an issue, and eventually it just became natural to only load 28 rounds. Personally, I load mine with all 30, and have never had an issue.

-GreatWarAZ
Sound like the Vietnam superstition when the 30 round M-16 mags came out. Founded more in myth than reality.

Hootbro
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top