AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I used the search feature and I still cant find anything helpful. I would like to take my full size GP1975 and put something like a AK-105 front sight gas block on it. Has anyone posted anything about this maybe you could link that post here. Has anyone used the Venom Tactical AK47 / AK-74 Gas Block. Has there been any word from rifle dynamics about the bolton block. I cant find any info newer than feb of 2012. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
correction I just realized that the bolton and the venom tactical are one and the same. still anyone have any first hand experience with this.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
before you do anything..do you mean to make this rifle a Short Barrel Rifle..i.e. under 16 inches? if so you first must apply for the tax stamp and live in a state that allows it. After that its easy one you get your stamp. Kvar sells or at least usually sells shorter barrels that are usually complete that you could use..any competent builder can SBR a rifle if hes licensed to do it. Parts are not really a problem. You could even get a AMD65 barrel which is around 12 inches and use that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very familiar with the Tax Stamp process and have no issue with that, however before I send in the $200 and build a trust I need to know how difficult it would be to change out these parts as I would need the SN off the rifle for the paper work, if doing something like this is outside the range of cost effective plausibility then I would just get a drako or some other ak pistol variant and add a stock (after the 7-9 month waiting period for my tax stamp to come back.) As for the shorter barrel I have been searching however I can not find any 7.62 short barrels I shall check out Kvar again. I am fairly gun savvy and have put together a couple of other rifles, a few ars and a M1a, and I could always use it as an excuse to buy the machine press for my shop. once again thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input, I used the search tool and could not come up with anything conclusive, it mostly brought up pages about Krinks, I looked through the first three pages of the Gunsmithing page and nothing, I appreciate the need desire to keep the number of repeat threads to a minimum however how long should someone look before just out right asking about something, If someone has a really good link to a thread already containing the answer to my questions please post a link in a reply so we can let this thread die a cold and lonely death. I'm not trying to troll or counter troll or whatever the correct internet terminology is lol. once again thank you for your opinion on the bolton, have you ever used one of these? I use an aimpoint so I am not too worried about the lack of elevation adjustment and I can see no reason for the need to adjust it once I get a good zero. I would like to use a ak-105 front sight gas block but those are becoming increasingly harder to find

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
A Bulgarian integrated FSB/GB will work and fit without too much fuss. You will need a press, crowning tool and a means to square up the barrel crown unless you use a lathe etc.
A GP 1975 with the USA non chrome barrel is not the best base to spend $350 for the stamp and FSB/GB combo etc. If you are not a home builder you would have to add smithing charges etc.
One of the IO FSB/GB blocks or the MM 22lr blocks will work too. Or have one custom welded by Pat..., restoreit1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the end the barrel is new so I figure I can get at least 5000-10000 before it needs a replacement and if that is the case I can get a chromed barrel at that point. I am a home builder although this is my first AK project I have done ARs and M1As so I dont think I will have much issue here other than the learning curve on a new system. I already have most of the tools for shorting the barrel, I did an SKS a few years ago still have the tools.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
A GP 1975 with the USA non chrome barrel is not the best base to spend $350 for the stamp and FSB/GB combo etc. If you are not a home builder you would have to add smithing charges etc.
+1
If you're going to make an SBR AK, you'll want it to be a folder. Otherwise it won't be compact.

You best bet would be to simply find a SLR-107CR and chop the barrel.

Or, find an AMD-65 that was made with a muzzle extension and remove it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do plan on putting a folder on it. Thank you for the link however all it really has is pretty pictures and from the pictures it looks like he simply shortened the barrel and moved both the original gas block and front sight down so that they are touching each other. What I'm looking for was more something along the lines of someone actually using one of the above products to take about 4 inches off the barrel and posting about their experiences doing it. One thing I like about the bolton block is that I can put it on with out shortening the barrel now and just wait till the tax stamp comes back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had looked at that but I only see the unfinished block, is there a completed block or good instructions on how to finish it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While it says it is parkerized implying that it is a ready to use product, the cost and the fact that it says "Not Finished" makes me believe it is a product that require machining of some sort.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Yep, I guess they need to work on their descriptions a little.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While it says it is parkerized implying that it is a ready to use product, the cost and the fact that it says "Not Finished" makes me believe it is a product that require machining of some sort.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Center fire used to have the finished GB/FSB but have been out for awhile not. Who knows if they will get them back in stock.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That one from Centerfire will take a lot of machining. You are looking at 1- drilling the main chamber hole concentric, 2- drilling the gas port hole, 3- drilling the front sight post hole, 4- tapping the front sight post hole, 5- drilling the detent hole to the proper location and depth, drilling the retaining pin holes, and finally lets not forget it should be heat treated when all that work is done.

Can it be made to work, of course it can. Is it practical? Not even close in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
My buddy has one of the completed Centerfire blocks that he isn't using. I'm sure he would sell it if you are interested. In fact I'm pretty sure it's at my house.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts