AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole AK building game, but not new to firearms in general. I have a (probably pretty stupid) question about front trunnions.

I bought a Polish parts kit awhile back, along with an 80% lower from AK builder and have been slowly working on putting together my first AK build. I noticed the parts kit does not come with front and rear trunnions. I've also noticed that they can be very hard to find on the internet. The one I found (linked here) is Hungarian, and seems to have some different nomenclature. (still learning the differences between AKM, AKMS, AKS, etc.)

Basically what I'm asking is, would that trunnion fit, and if not, does anyone know where to find one (preferably in stock) that does?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks like you bought the wrong receiver, that appears to be a milled kit.
I'm thinking you can build a stamped gun but I would probably go milled.

Reactions: Sunspot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah that receiver chunk your trigger guard is attached to appears to be a section of milled receiver. Milled receivers are kind of expensive but it does simplify several assembly steps. On the other hand as long as the barrel journal is sized right you may get away with mounting it to a stamped trunnion... Alternatively you could find a front milled stub and convert it somewhat into a trunnion but that is somewhat hackish.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hmmm, had this same sort of question the other day... "can I build a milled kit on a stamped receiver?"

The short answer is yes, but why? Those type 3 milled kits are very nice, and IMO deserve to be built back to service on a proper milled receiver. Tortort, for example, but there are other options for milled receivers: Firing Line, CNCWarrior, ATM, and at least one other I can 't think of atm. But the Tortort is superb and would be my 1st choice.

Second choice would be the ATM milled receiver because they are really pretty nice (very smooth action!) and WAY less expensive than the others. Tortort 80% Russian/Polish/Bulgarian type 3 is the way to go here...

However... Having said that, you CAN build your kit onto a stamped receiver. As you noted, you will have to find an appropriate front and rear trunnion, AND another barrel, because the kit parts you have, being milled (AK) type, will be too large diameter for that stamped (AKM) barrel seen in your photo. Milled (AK) and stamped (AKM) barrel parts are not generally interchangeable since stamped barrel & barrel parts will generally be narrower diameter at the journal areas. (exception being Chinese, which used a mix of milled/stamped features)...

The internal parts (fire control group, safety, bolt, bolt carrier) "should" be interchangeable.

So, to sum it all up:
-in order to build your milled kit onto a stamped receiver, you will need front trunnion, rear trunnion, milled type barrel that will fit the 23mm front trunnion & milled barrel parts.

Also, your milled furniture will not fit the stamped receiver, (the front upper handguard will, they are generally universal, exception being Yugo)(the pistol grip will also fit, generally being universal) but the milled butt stock will not fit a stamped receiver/trunnion. The milled style lower handguard will also not fit a stamped receiver, but can be forced if necessary. Not ideal.

My bottom line?
Get a milled Tortort receiver (either 80% or 100%) or an ATM 100% receiver and build on that. Get a milled type 3 barrel. Sell the stamped receiver, stamped barrel (or buy a Romy kit & use them on it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts