AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dry fitting parts on my 80% receiver build before I drill any holes, (measure many times, drill once), and using used steel milsurp mags to help locate before drilling the trunnion and trigger guard holes. All of the mags fit snugly in the receiver with the trunnion in place, but the trunnion isn't absolutely flush with the front of the receiver after snugging it back against the in-place magazines. The front edge of the trunnion sits proud of the receiver 0.012"-0.015", depending on which of the dozen magazines I use. If I were to drill and rivet the trunnion in this position, will that 0.012"-0.015" gap between the receiver to the lower handguard matter in any meaningful way, or do I absolutely need to open up the rear of the magwell 0.015" so that the front of the trunnion is flush and I can use these magazines? I'm not trying to use a shortcut here, but as-is, everything fits snugly together without hand fitting. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have seen some flush not flush, flush on one side in on the other. I have built a few and I have never measured just use my favorite mags to tell me were it wants to sit. Good luck on your build

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
This will happen on occasion. What kind of trunnion is it? The Maadi kits I've dealt with we're all like that. You just have to decide where to make adjustments. I ended up leaving the trunnions on those sticking out maybe .005” or so and removed a little from the rear of the mag well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. The trunnion is from a Polish AKM kit from Atlantic, and the 80% receiver is a Polish Radom, if that matters.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I would adjust the mag well as needed and flush mount the front trunnion.
Blue, then he is also going to have to egg out the predetermined(assuming hes using 80% drill jig) trigger guard holes and push the TG back right?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
It's either that or remove material from the mag rear of the trigger guard/mag catch. Well, or drilling the holes without a jig a little further back.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I removed a little metal at the back of the mag well opening of my Polish shell, just enough for the mag lug area of the magazine to clear the receiver. The trunnion fit flush in the receiver and I didn't have to relocate the drilling jig. I used an Egyptian front trunnion, yours may differ slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thanks to all that replied, and I'll probably want to tap the collective knowledge again before this build is done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts