AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am trying to piece together a 1972 Izzy AKMS with all correct parts.

Can you please help me ID this gas block? I think it is a early Izzy cast unit, but wanted to verify before I build the rifle.

I also have two cast front sights. The windows look correct for a 72 Izzy on both, but the lightening cut on the front is very different.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
936 Posts
No expert here but I think your GB is Tula.

I have what I think is a cast Izzy, need a Tula...the shape of the casting at the front of the gas tube receptacle is different.

Robert

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The early Izzy looks like a Tula style gas block. I have sone pictures of both early Tula and Izzy gas blocks , I'll post pictures tonight .

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another gas block that I have, same Tula gas block I guess?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
These two are from a 1976 PLO Tula Barrel assembly, as far as I know it is original to the rifle.

These two are from a 1973 PLO Izzy barrel assembly, as far as I know it is original to the rifle. I have seen this style gas block on Izzy rifles as early as 1970 and as late as 1976, IIRC Tantal indicated in a previous post that they were used on some 1969 rifles.

·
Registered
936 Posts
^^Interesting how the holes in the casting of the '73 PLO GB do not look like they go through. Is this an identifying feature of the earlier GB?

Robert

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Robert do you mean the barrel pin holes or the gas vent holes ?

^^Interesting how the holes in the casting of the '73 PLO GB do not look like they go through. Is this an identifying feature of the earlier GB?

Robert

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It is just the way the picture came out, the vent holes are functional.

Yeah, the exhaust or vent holes...look like they are stamped in but not punched through if that makes sense.

Robert

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Hi,
I am trying to piece together a 1972 Izzy AKMS with all correct parts.

I also have two cast front sights. The windows look correct for a 72 Izzy on both, but the lightening cut on the front is very different.

Thanks for looking!
Both of these are Izzy front sight bases. The one on the right is a first pattern cast, while the one on the left is a second pattern cast. I'd use the first pattern cast on a 1972. That's the one on the right with the longer style front relief cut.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Both of these are Izzy front sight bases. The one on the right is a first pattern cast, while the one on the left is a second pattern cast. I'd use the first pattern cast on a 1972. That's the one on the right with the longer style front relief cut.

Relatively speaking, the smaller part with the bigger lightning cut is the latest, right?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
John, hi! Sorry if I'm not getting this written clearly. The one on the left is newer/later. The one on the right with the long lightening cut on the front (like the old milled versions) is older. Both are Izhevsk made investment castings. The earlier version got a lot more machining done to it after it was cast. I assume the later style took less time to produce, and was easier on the tooling.

Both parts are the exact same size. In the last image, the one on the right is being held closer to the camera and slightly forward of the other part, but they are identical in width, length and breadth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts