AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to share the wealth. I know alot of guys here build/collect FALs as well as other things.

Enterprise has some kits as very reasonable prices with original barrels.

I grabbed one. Thought I should share with the hive. :)

Imbel Parts Kit Very Good Condition

KRVeBcX.png

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
how hard is it to build one of these??

I would love to have an FAL, I just wonder if its better to build one, or buy one, IF Im only going to have 1.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts

I would love to have an FAL, I just wonder if its better to build one, or buy one, IF Im only going to have 1.
Its not really all that difficult, but your better off sending it to a known FAL Smith to make sure its right. Builds usually run around $300 or so, and I know of at least one builder who does excellent work. Here is an Imbel he did for me:

Started with this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Made into this:

You may get lucky and locate an original Imbel receiver, but if not, I would go with DSA. Do NOT, under any circumstances get an Enterprise receiver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not that hard to build. A few of the correct tools and you are good to go.
I have built a few. I think building an AK is a lot more work.
My first few builds were on Entreprise receivers. There were some issues, but I got them figured out. Not for the faint of heart.
DSA from time to time has quality issues. One usually has to chase the barrel threads in the front of the receiver with a tap.
Coonan tends to be the current favorite for domestic receivers.
IMBEL receivers are mostly in private hands now, so you will have to search around for one for sale. They also make nice builds, but they only come in Type III.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've built 5 of em and about to build a 6th here in a week or so.....They are a lot of fun to build

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hey Joe, is that the original butt stock on your build? My kit's all have a lot of "cut's" in them. Not deep, but kind of unsightly. I'd prefer to use an OE butt stock, but for the cost of the part's and labor I want it to be "pretty". Is there a way to restore the OE stock? Who did your build? I'm looking at ARS or AZEX.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Glenn Riddle at Magnum Gunsmith did my build, and several others. This stock set is original and was reconditioned by an old FAL guy who is no longer in business.
However, its very possible to refinish one yourself.

The original stock set in the before pic was solid enough, but looked like ass, so I had a go at it:
Before:

After wet sanding:

Finished:

All I did was clean off the furniture with alcohol, wet it down with water, and sand with 800 grit sandpaper. When most of the scrapes and scratches were gone, I sprayed several coats of Duplicolor automotive black bumper paint on, and let it cure for several days. Worked out decent, and was fun to do.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Anyone know if these are numbers matching kits ??

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
I doubt these are matching, but would have no problem paying the extra $20 to get a matching bolt and bolt carrier.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I doubt these are matching, but would have no problem paying the extra $20 to get a matching bolt and bolt carrier.
I paid the 20 bucks for matching kits. Sounds like its not a problem if you want matching.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I got 1 of these kits about 10 years ago when Dan's was the sole importer. $250 got a #'s matching kit from a mint gun. It didn't need to be refinished when attached to the Imbel receiver. Go to FAL Files to look for receivers to use. I'd recommend the Imbel receiver. GARY

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, I have one of the Dan's kits still sitting here unbuilt, along with a Century receiver and a second kit. Never got around to it, ended up with a nice STG58 on a gear logo receiver instead.

·
Banned
950 Posts

Do you have a flat jawed pipe wrench, a bench vise, and a towel?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Should I opt for the throat erosion option?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would get the absolute best kit possible. There won't be anymore kit's coming in with OE barrel's. If there are any more FAL kit's at all. I was shocked to see these pop up. By the way, do have a '68 Runner? I'm pretty much a Ford guy, but I really did the old Mopars.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts