AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old man was hard, now looking back he was right. He spent long hours at work to provide for his family. He taught me to fish,shoot a marlin 22 at 7 to weld stick and tig at 16 to drive a manual at 14 to honor my mother and to be a man. I would have loved for him to have seen me farther into my life but he did get to see me own my 1st home at 29 and marry my beautiful wife. This drink is for you daddy. And to all the others that have gone before there time.

· Registered
228 Posts
amoco said:
My old man was hard, now looking back he was right. He spent long hours at work to provide for his family. He taught me to fish,shoot a marlin 22 at 7 to weld stick and tig at 16 to drive a manual at 14 to honor my mother and to be a man. I would have loved for him to have seen me farther into my life but he did get to see me own my 1st home at 29 and marry my beautiful wife. This drink is for you daddy. And to all the others that have gone before there time.
I'm really sorry about your loss. My pops is getting older, and it shows :sad:. I think about him aging all the time. I look back at baby pics of me sitting on my dad's lap flexing my biceps, or of the two of us together, wearing suits during "bring your kid to work day", and it gets me thinking how tough it's going to be for me when that day comes. If I'm a bit tipsy and I begin thinking about it I start crying like a little bitch with a skinned knee.... I emotional I guess... At least when it comes to family, and really close friends. At the end of the day they're what really matters.

Here's to your Dad :beer:

· Registered
2,046 Posts
I lost my father last year and today is his birthday so I think I'll have some of his favorite ice cream for old times sake (he had a sweet tooth.) He was the best. Didn't think at 26 I'd have to deal with that kind of stuff. Life is tough stuff, my condolences to you sir.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I never really had a dad. Explains a lack of a lot of things.

But now that I am a dad, to a 1.5yr old, I find myself thinking like you guys.

How much can I pass on to him, how many hours out of our lives can I make count.
And how very very hard it will be, to say goodbye for the last time. So we live life to the fullest and the furthest my car will take us.

carpe diem gentleman.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I lost my dad at 30, the day after fathers day 2007, it will be three years on June 19th. He worked hard as well to put my sister and myself through college. He was my hunting partner and taught me to hunt and fish. gave me my first .22 at age 5 and a Stevens single shot .20 gauge on my 6th birthday and many other guns from that point on in my life. I have two girls and I treat them the same as my father treated me or atleast my 8 year old, my four year old is still too young. I bought my daughter a pink Cricket .22 for Christmas when she was 5 and a H&R "snake charmer" .410 when she was 6. I miss him everyday and hope he is hunting, fishing and reloading ammo in the great fields, lakes and woods on the otherside. I know how you feel when you lose that teacher, mentor and role model who you depended on for all the answers through life. I keep thinking it will get better with time but it does not. But that just keeps the 30 years of memories alive inside of me so I can pass them down to my girls.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
I haven't had to deal with the loss of my parents yet, they are late70's and mid 80's, but my brother-in-law lost his dad @ 9 years old, and it was devastating for him, some years latter he told me he considered me as his father figure, which just made me proud. Well he is 25 now, and yesterday we buired his mother, she had been fighting cancer for the past 18 months, and he gave the eulogy for her and all I can say was well done Scott, your parents are looking down on you and beamimg with the pride that there son has turned into the man they had hoped.

· Banned
1,073 Posts
My condolences for your loss. That's really young to lose your father.

My dad is in his early 60's and I know I'll be destroyed when he passes.

I'm glad to hear you were able to spend good time with your dad and he got a chance to see you marry and purchase a house.

Here's to your dad :beer:

· Registered
822 Posts
I just turned 30 at the end of last month. My brother and I both lost our father in February of 1999 due to extremely aggressive prostate cancer - he was only 54. I was 17 and my brother was 14. My brother doesn't remember a whole lot about my dad. My dad and I were too much alike and butted heads frequently his father was a raging alcoholic so father son relations were difficult for him.

Even though we fought and never did get along at all past my age of 12, I find that I miss him more as the years go by. It is a hard road to travel when any family member passes. The hurt that you feel today will become like a fine wine in years to come. It is something that grows deeper with time - yet it usually only comes out on specific occasions..

Hang in there - hold on to the memories and look forward to tomorrow..

--->APB

· Registered
1,779 Posts
When I was much younger and me and my dad had on of our classic blow-ups down at the marina a friend of his (Richard Tabor) pulled me aside and told me that when you are young you think your dad is the dumbest person in the world........but once you get older you realise he is probably the smartest person in the world.

And while even 30 years latter me and my dad still bump heads from time to time I have to say ole Richard was right, he is the smartest man I know.

Guess thats where the old addage "with age comes wisdom" comes from.

· Registered
379 Posts
I lost my Father when I was 8, he was 30. I never thought a lot about what my Grandfather went through. My Grandfather was always there for me. I lost my youngest Son last year at the age of 25 and now I look back and know the pain my Grandfather never let out around me.

· Registered
179 Posts
I lost my dad when I was 17.........and a side note, I had a brother killed in Germany too when I was 15.
Yet I get too say hello, every Memorial Day. Both are buried at state National Cemetery.

· Registered
379 Posts
It'll be 11 years (i was 28-29 at the time.)since my father passed at the end of the month. He died a week before his 59th birthday.
He survived 2 boughts of cancer, only to die of a massive hard attack because of the high fat diet he was on, so he could gain weight.
Think of the good times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.