AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody might have kicked their effort to acquire some staples: beans, rice, lentils etc, up a little recently. It also seems that others are doing the same. In addition, retailers are raising prices.

Somebody went to the center of culture and knowledge for (formerly) small town Texas- walmart (thanks from the bottom of my heart cali), and was going to pick up a few things to put in the pantry. Having put back quite a bit of rice since it was priced very good for a couple weeks, he decided to get a few 20lb bags of pinto beans.

So, upon entering the "Hispanic Foods" aisle, he was surprised to see that the 20lb bags were GONE...every one of them. All that remained were 2lb bags- at $3 EACH!

I know, welcome to 2020, panic buying is a way of life now, but $3- for pinto beans?

I didn't even bother with the TP aisle, I'm good on that anyway.

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Food prices usually sneak, they don't leap.. I think its just that particular store in your AO.

I found pintos for 1.19 for a one pound bag but the ship price was Dec 29 .. heh

So if you need them riiiiiiiiiiight nowwwwww.. there are online options. I didn't even do a deep search where you can probably find really good deals near you or that can deliver.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dumbasses here have already cleared out the TP aisle. If they would just buy a little extra as they go along and not all at once at the last minute.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dumbasses here have already cleared out the TP aisle. If they would just buy a little extra as they go along and not all at once at the last minute.
And that's why I got a bidet. It'll change your life. I'll trade some TP for ammo.

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
I should start stocking up on pre-ban toilets then, eh?

Bidets are interesting and seem to be catching on over here, but if your ass has to go mobile, that's even more stuff to pack and bring with. Hard enough to source drinking water, but enough to keep your bumper clean too? Using questionable water to wash with is dicey if it gets into a microcut or even into the mucus membranes. Dying from a butt infection would be a lousy way to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I should start stocking up on pre-ban toilets then, eh?

Bidets are interesting and seem to be catching on over here, but if your ass has to go mobile, that's even more stuff to pack and bring with. Hard enough to source drinking water, but enough to keep your bumper clean too? Using questionable water to wash with is dicey if it gets into a microcut or even into the mucus membranes. Dying from a butt infection would be a lousy way to go.
There's a gas station in a small town near my house that inexplicably has one. Most unexpected. I figured I'd just use the original TP - catalogues, if I had to go mobile. Or moss, or snow season depending, or whatever I can get my hands on, hide your wife hide your dog.

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Well that's... horrifying. I think the only thing that's worse is "gas station sushi' and so far that's only in my imagination.. I bet it exists somewhere omg~

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I've been wondering when they will mandate those for every bathroom.

Then I remembered that those use water, so they will probably be banned.

Interesting world, everything is either mandated or banned, in the name of "freedom".
Toilet tanks are mandated to a certain size to "save the environment" - 1.6 gallons thanks to Uncle Sam. So remember that next time it won't flush worth a shit. Prior to 1982 toilets used 5 - 7 gallons. 1982 - 1993 they used 3.5 gallons. I have seen some waterless urinals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A "pre-ban" toilet is not specific enough to describe it. You have to be specific to which ban it was made before.

I had never thought about it, but the flush quantity is restricted, and the bidet function is completely unrestricted. Could lead to an additional cup or two of water per bathroom use. No way the bureaucrats can let that go without regulation.

We had a late 1960's tank split down the side all by itself a little over two years ago. Had to replace the whole unit with a new one. Still a sore subject.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, in my wanderings Sunday night, I roamed the walmart TP aisle. BARE.
First. TP was going to save people from the rona.
Now, it's going to save people from the biden 2nd wave rona riots fascists end of the world commies and....of course, zombies

·
Technical Advisor
15,609 Posts
I was just at the local Sam's Club.
Plenty of TP, beans, rice etc. Maybe a bit less on sanitizer but it was there.
Everything looked well stocked and normal.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
Prices are spiking for dairy items, as well as meat and bread, and its not getting better anytime soon. Where I work, we are able to buy things at cost, and cheese is getting stupid in price by the month. last year when I started working there, a 5 lb bag of shredded blend that we use for omelets and salads cost me about $12.79, now its almost $18 per bag, and remember, I pay cost, not retail.
If they don't allow the economy to open up and start running, its going to get much worse, because I'm seeing it in all the stuff we sell. Stock up what you can while you can now.

Reactions: AKBLUE

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Last week I went to Dollar General and Walmart. Both were almost out of toilet paper and paper towels. Dollar General had signs up stating limit of one because they are having problems getting those items. Walmart has no limit on these. People in Ohio were probably afraid the governor was going to do a lockdown again. He is not locking down again - yet. But there is a worthless curfew that some PDs and Sheriffs will not enforce. SB 311 passed the Ohio House and is going to the Ohio Senate. Dewine said he will veto it. Supposedly there will be enough votes to override his veto. SB 311 limits the Ohio Director of Health in issuing lockdowns. The legislature needs to be involved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One family member has been hearing about toilet paper shortages from friends and I was sent out yesterday to find some.
The Farm and Home Supply and Save-A-Lot both had fully stocked shelves and no signs posted for limits. In fact, it was on ad/sale at the farm store. I got two bails from each.

Additional thoughts:
Rubbing alcohol has still not been restocked on store shelves in my area. Online orders limited to two bottles.
Lysol spray is apparently something that can only be found by going to a dozen stores every day for a week straight. None online. Industrial suppliers substituting obnoxious smelling janitorial products.
Trigger spray bottles can be found online only if you check websites obsessively for a couple months.
No nitrile gloves to be found.
Pasta sauce, barbecue sauce, and soup are unavailable for online purchase.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
Last week I went to Dollar General and Walmart. Both were almost out of toilet paper and paper towels. Dollar General had signs up stating limit of one because they are having problems getting those items. Walmart has no limit on these. People in Ohio were probably afraid the governor was going to do a lockdown again. He is not locking down again - yet. But there is a worthless curfew that some PDs and Sheriffs will not enforce. SB 311 passed the Ohio House and is going to the Ohio Senate. Dewine said he will veto it. Supposedly there will be enough votes to override his veto. SB 311 limits the Ohio Director of Health in issuing lockdowns. The legislature needs to be involved.

Fuck DeWine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts