AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about a similar exercise on TOS, I went down to Walmart to see just what I could cram into a 6gal plastic bucket as a grab-n-go food supply. Here's what I came up with:

1. 20lb enriched rice. I got 4 5lb bags instead of 1 20lb bag so only 5lb would be unsealed at any time.

2. 6lb of lentils. 6 1lb bags for same reason.

3. 11oz pearled barley.

4. 1 can spam reduced sodium.

5. 1 10oz can chunked white chicken

6. 1 small jar chicken bouillon.

7. 1 small bottle onion powder.

8. 1 2oz bottle tabasco.

9. 1 26oz peanut butter.

10. 200 paper coffee filters.

Price- $33.88

This all fit into a 6gal bucket w/ mylar liner. I would like to add a couple contractor bags and a small bottle of ghee, will see if that is possible after the rice spends about 4-5 days in the freezer, then a couple days thawing.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
That's a good idea! I would also consider salt, and brown sugar.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ghee is butter and I also agree with the salt idea. That's a really nifty idea stuffing everything into a bucket. I like your choices in meat, too, as you were smart enough not to torture yourself with vienna sausages :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
For the perishables like the spam, I would use a dating system so you can keep items like that properly rotated. FWIW, I recently cooked up some lentils that I had stored since 2006 in a regular Rubbermaid container, and they were just fine.

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
For the perishables like the spam, I would use a dating system so you can keep items like that properly rotated. FWIW, I recently cooked up some lentils that I had stored since 2006 in a regular Rubbermaid container, and they were just fine.
Gotta love dried foods!

Interestingly enough I got some canned corned beef last year or the year before.. I forget.. but the exp. date is 2017 ...it's the most impressive official date that I've encountered so far.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Wow, that's a long shelf life. What brand?

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Wow, that's a long shelf life. What brand?
Kroger brand actually.

I found "Production date: 16012" So I'm guessing it was canned in 2012

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
On TOS, a bucket with a little less in it was estimated to be 17 man-days of food. So, I figure 18-20 man-days if I can squeeze the ghee in there, for fat, ya gotta have some fat. Any ideas for improvement?

I'll date the bucket, and in 3-5 years I'll rotate the meats and other perishables out. Should be less than $20 to keep a transportable 18-20 day food supply available.

Much more mobile than grabbing a case of this, a case of that, and another case of MH #10 cans.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Salt, Sugar, canned veggies, Nuts or Beef jerky (Easy snack between cooking meals), Nutella for something different is a good choice instead of PB, And one almost everyone missed is "Drink Mix" drinking plain water all the time gets old quick you can get instant coffee or tea also the boxes of the little single serve packs for 16oz bottle water of Kool-Aid,Gatoraid, Crystal light,ect. make things alot nicer.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ghee is, the best I understand it, condensed butter, big in Indian cooking. The advantage is that it doesn't need refrigeration,and stores longer than most fats.

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Salt, Sugar, canned veggies, Nuts or Beef jerky (Easy snack between cooking meals), Nutella for something different is a good choice instead of PB, And one almost everyone missed is "Drink Mix" drinking plain water all the time gets old quick you can get instant coffee or tea also the boxes of the little single serve packs for 16oz bottle water of Kool-Aid,Gatoraid, Crystal light,ect. make things alot nicer.
Excellent point!

While it is possible to just drink water plain, it goes beyond appetite fatigue...the body needs minerals.

Adding something like that will help reintroduce lost electrolytes.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
A powdered drink with electrolytes like schultze mentioned is another great idea. If you can find local un-cut honey, I would include at least one mason jar as it never spoils. A bottle of multi-vitamins, a bottle of aspirin, a bic lighter, soap, and some tooth care stuff.

Reactions: Tbone1962

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to list- 2 Bic lighters.

Some of these suggestions are good, but, no more room in the bucket. Maybe I'll have to have "menu A" bucket and "menu B" bucket.

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
probably "The Other Site" ...meaning the site which shall not be mentioned here because

81e7f9da9145.jpg

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
You know you would toss a perfect AK into the air slammin' on the rafters and letting it bounce off the floor for the secret password to the other site. :p

Oh, yeah you already tried that.
I'd rather go there on April 20th and spam "Stoner was a stoner" until I got banned... probably wouldn't take long.

That NIB Polytech Legend had it coming...

lololjk

Reactions: Irierider

·
Registered
407 Posts
I do the same thing storing food in buckets. Ghee can also be bought in cans in some Indian grocery stores so you don't have to worry about glass breaking. Also, canned butter can also be found at many on line shops. After packing the bucket I place a desiccant dry pack in bucket snap on the lid and seal the lid with Gorilla tape. It is best to place an inventory on the lid with a check date to open and reinspect. I try and keep four of these ready for emergency use as needed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts