Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
That is F'n awesome!

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Sweet build! I've always toyed with the idea of getting one of these because I can some things from a buddy in Germany...scopes, slings and other non-illegal spares. I've handled 1 real G3, and several 91 clones, but I never cared for the clones because of the mag release. I see yours is done correctly with the paddle release. Are you keeping this one, or possibly trading/selling it?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Freekin A, Krink. I love it!
They are much cheaper to buy than to build though. Probably why your second kit didn't sell.
Speaking of that, any new word on the barreled receivers?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Nicely Done!

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet build! I've always toyed with the idea of getting one of these because I can some things from a buddy in Germany...scopes, slings and other non-illegal spares. I've handled 1 real G3, and several 91 clones, but I never cared for the clones because of the mag release. I see yours is done correctly with the paddle release. Are you keeping this one, or possibly trading/selling it?
It is a keeper. Just another one to add to the collection. Gewehr Werks primary specialty is HK. Tim does the AK work because it pays the bills and the work is steady. Personally, I think the HK platform is on a resurgence and I am getting in every chance I get.

KF

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The most prolific clone on the market right now is the PTR-91. I know there have been some questions in the past about the quality of the barrels they use in their builds. I would have to do some research to get the issues that some have experienced.

The barreled receiver project is still in the works and negotiations on the barrels are still on-going. Additional negotiations with sub-vendors for sub-parts are also on-going.

KF

Freekin A, Krink. I love it!
They are much cheaper to buy than to build though. Probably why your second kit didn't sell.
Speaking of that, any new word on the barreled receivers?

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
It is a keeper. Just another one to add to the collection. Gewehr Werks primary specialty is HK. Tim does the AK work because it pays the bills and the work is steady. Personally, I think the HK platform is on a resurgence and I am getting in every chance I get.

KF
Oh well, it never hurts to ask!

·
Banned
950 Posts

KF

I've been thinking of going to Tim to have him add paddles to my HK's. However I don't think he does "HK Gray" like IGF does. Do you know if he does G3K conversions? I had one, sold it like an idiot and now want another.

HK's are awesome, between them and HK's I never run my "other" rifles.

·
Banned
950 Posts
The most prolific clone on the market right now is the PTR-91. I know there have been some questions in the past about the quality of the barrels they use in their builds. I would have to do some research to get the issues that some have experienced.

The barreled receiver project is still in the works and negotiations on the barrels are still on-going. Additional negotiations with sub-vendors for sub-parts are also on-going.

KF

Until PTR uses hammer forged barrels, I don't see a reason in wasting the money. Much smarter to build from an original kit with an original hammer forged barrel. However if you want a quality barrel and can't afford an original, check out Rim Country Manufacturing- they make true mil spec hammer forged barrels.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RCM is the source for the barrels to support the Barreled Receiver project.

KF

Until PTR uses hammer forged barrels, I don't see a reason in wasting the money. Much smarter to build from an original kit with an original hammer forged barrel. However if you want a quality barrel and can't afford an original, check out Rim Country Manufacturing- they make true mil spec hammer forged barrels.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nice gun. I have an early JLD built gun, & a Vector V51P which is a 91 pistol. Both run flawlessly. I'm not familiar with that receiver, as most use the JLD/PTR receiver which is made with genuine dies that came from the FMP factory in Portugal. Who makes that receiver, & what is the origin of the dies? GARY

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks for the update, Krink. Again, love the rifle and I'd love to add one identical to it to my safe. I'd have my DMR clone and a G3 clone with wood stocks as well. Over on the FALFiles there's an SAR3 I'd give my left one for. Just not in the cards at the moment because bartering body parts is illegal and my bill situation currently takes the cake. (This is why I'm so interested in the project you are working on.)

·
Banned
950 Posts
RCM is the source for the barrels to support the Barreled Receiver project.

KF

I have one of their G3K barrels here. I bought it for a project but just don't have it in me to replace the original HK barrel. Perhaps a build from a Springfield SAR might be in order? Who knows- I got a dozen projects I'd like to finish but never enough money to complete them all.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dies are HK and the receivers are stamped and finished by Gewehr Werks in Ohio.

KF

Nice gun. I have an early JLD built gun, & a Vector V51P which is a 91 pistol. Both run flawlessly. I'm not familiar with that receiver, as most use the JLD/PTR receiver which is made with genuine dies that came from the FMP factory in Portugal. Who makes that receiver, & what is the origin of the dies? GARY

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
The dies are HK and the receivers are stamped and finished by Gewehr Werks in Ohio.

KF
Reviving an old thread, but did they get the HK dies that ORF bad before they went away? IIRC they had original HK dies that went up for auction.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Schweet. I've had an HK91 for many years that brings a smile to my face every time I take it out. IMO, the Germans made a mistake when they moved away from the design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts