AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have big Flea markets in a different town every weekend. This weekend was the Big "First Monday" flea market in Ripley MS. While looking at some guns and gun accessories I noticed a 50cal ammo can nearly full of 5.45x39 FMJ head stamp 3 over 96-97. I asked the old fella how many rounds were in the can and what he wanted for it. He said around 500 and would take $60.00. I asked if he would take $50.00 and he said SOLD!! When I got home, I poured out the loose rounds and counted 13 30rd brown paper packs and 3 25rd white card board boxes. After adding up the loose rds and packaged rds I have 865rds. Not bad for $50.00. I even got to keep the can; it's a nice one!! :grin: :razz:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
the 3 over 96 is definatly ULY ammo with 70gr bullet . im not sure about the ULY , 3 over 97 . ?. probly the same .

if you go up to the 5.45 sticky you'll find it in a picture . its the bullet listed as made with tracer jackets full of lead .

some really liked this ammo and some didnt . it does about 2500fps .

the "blackened" colored primers are corrosive and the golden colored primers are non-cor .

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
freerangeYODA said:
the 3 over 96 is definatly ULY ammo with 70gr bullet . im not sure about the ULY , 3 over 97 . ?. probly the same .

if you go up to the 5.45 sticky you'll find it in a picture . its the bullet listed as made with tracer jackets full of lead .

some really liked this ammo and some didnt . it does about 2500fps .

the "blackened" colored primers are corrosive and the golden colored primers are non-cor .
Thanks for the FYI. The White boxes have gold primers with 3over97. The rest are the dark gray primers with 3over96.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The one article I read, said they fired 5 shot group averaging 2.5 inches at 100 yds.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Ahhh, corrosive... How many rounds NC and how many rounds corrosive do you have? Do you shoot corrosive ammo in your rifle regularly?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have shot thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo. I have never had a problem with corrosion or rust. If one takes care to properly clean his/her firearm after a day on the range, then there should be no worries. :wink: Over half my newly aquired 5.45x39 ammo has the dark gray primers. I'm sure my Bulgarian AKS-74 won't care if the primers are gray or gold!! :razz:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i should point out that not all COLLECTORS agree with my assesment of blackend primers = corrosive , golden primers = noncorrosive . i can only say it tested out that way for the 2 different lots of 762x39 / 3 over 94 tested . neither box says one way of the other .

i really dont know for absolute positive if it applys to all russian ammo , just Uly ammo or , is a fluke . i strongly suspect it is a valid reference for Uly made ammo from the 90s .

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I read somewhere that ammo after 96 or 97 was all non corrosive, but they mentioned Tula, not Uly.

I do not like corrosive ammo for semi autos, too much that can be missed. I do clean my guns after I shoot though, for my AK I clean the piston, barrel, and bolt. I use corrosive in my bolt actions though, easy to clean.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Man...I haven't been to First Monday, in nearly 20 years...is it still as large as it used to be?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rotdorn said:
Man...I haven't been to First Monday, in nearly 20 years...is it still as large as it used to be?
Yeah, it's still pretty big!! Probably still some of the same vendors there from when you were there last!! :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts