AK Rifles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating a Tech Sights rear sight on my next build, and I'm looking for a flat top rear sight base to go with it (ie without the original style mount for a rear sight). I have found one from WBP that looks pretty nifty (WBP Picatinny Rail Rear Sight block), but would rather have one without the rail. Are there any alternatives out there?

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
316 Posts
Are you open to having one made or making one? You could take an original block, mill the top flat and weld a plate on it. The only thing would be keeping the original latch for the piston tube. That WBP replaces the latch with a tab. Otherwise, I don't think I've seen anything out there "off the shelf".

Also, how high do you want the flat surface?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you open to having one made or making one? You could take an original block, mill the top flat and weld a plate on it. The only thing would be keeping the original latch for the piston tube. That WBP replaces the latch with a tab. Otherwise, I don't think I've seen anything out there "off the shelf".

Also, how high do you want the flat surface?
I'm not set on a particular height, I just want something that looks like a factory part that was never meant for a sight. I could weld and mill an original sight base, but the hump for the latch would look a bit out of place. That tab on the WBP looks much cleaner, but it looks like it won't hold the tube as firmly as the original latch.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
316 Posts
Okay, I think I get what you're going for. Let me draw up my idea tonight and share some screenshots. If you like it, it should be fairly easy to produce. Basically, I'm thinking you could mill off the top and leave the latch hole alone. Then drop a block on top, weld and polish, then finish to your liking. Here's a rough idea, with the new block outlined as red.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is this what you have in mind? It was off one of the Romanian "PAR" pump action AK types imported decades ago. I just milled a flat on the top, which is solid unlike any other AK type, as the rear sight is fixed on the top cover.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That angled block looks pretty clean, and it actually makes me think that a pinned filler piece could be a better option. If it's removable, it will allow me to go back to original sights if I so decide. I have to get a sight base out and see if I can come up with something neat.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
316 Posts
Here's what I was thinking for a rear sight block mod.
Font Auto part Rectangle Automotive exterior Engineering

Throw a small continuous TIG weld around the whole block, polish it up, and refinish it. I think it would look pretty nice, and fairly easy to make. You could even slope the block up gradually from the dust cover notch. The only downside is it's not easily reversible. I do like the idea of an insert, but you'll still have the ears as the highest point on an original block.

Here's what it would look like on the rifle:
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do like the idea of an insert, but you'll still have the ears as the highest point on an original block.
You can't get around that if you want to keep the original latch. That's why I was thinking about making it at an angle, a transition like that would make it blend in better.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
316 Posts
Damn. That's a tall order. Ideally, I think you'd want a rounded block that matches the contour of the dust cover, but the ability to make it modular and add site part back on...That's definitely a custom job. I'd be willing to draw up some ideas if you're interested, but I'm afraid anything "off the shelf" doesn't exist for that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I'm sure there's no cover on the market. I don't think it needs to be rounded though, I was thinking along the lines of the PAR block. Maybe eve a piece of bent sheet metal wrapped over the top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts