AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a Tantal Wz.88

I know what I did wrong and could not fix it after the rivet deformed.
All 6 barrel trunnion rivets are swell necks as from the factory. The holes were dimpled with 1/4" ball bearings.

Mill it out an replace it or blast, park and GunKote and call it good?
What would you do? I tend to be a little OCD on my builds.

updated the title

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would fix it. It would drive me crazy until I did. If your wondering if you should then I think you need too. If you dont its gonna bug you. It will be a lot tougher to fix it after park and paint.

If I can get a finger nail under the head of my rivets then I'm not happy with them.

How are you setting rivets?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just noticed your new avitar. I saw that in the original photo thread that was posted here and did a double take. I like the blue tape on his mags too!!! He must like pretty colors.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can just get the edge of my fingernail under it.

I am setting with a plate that has cups cut by a ball end mill IIRC 9/32".
The cup does fit correct. The receiver was not exactily flat and I was distracted in our shop just as the rivet began to deform. I was using an Air/Hydraulic press so once it deformed I could not move it down any further.

On the Avatar I do like a little color and humor.
I just can't decide on either one and tend to change back and forth for now.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That guy on the left is scary. Anyone that dresses like that and carries around an ak would freak me out, I would be afraid of him. Especially in Africa.

Are you gonna redo the rivet? Maybe sleep on it and then decide.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I say re-do it. I think it is fine from a mechanical strength standpoint (not that I am an expert though...), but it would drive me nuts to have it on the gun.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
dr1553 said:
I would fix it. It would drive me crazy until I did. If your wondering if you should then I think you need too. If you dont its gonna bug you. It will be a lot tougher to fix it after park and paint.

If I can get a finger nail under the head of my rivets then I'm not happy with them.

How are you setting rivets?
+1, I would (and have) suck it up and fix it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Seeing how its the mag well rivet, here's how I fix mine:

Take a long rivet jig (I have the gun things one) and press the rivet head down with the jig, then resqueeze or press as you normally would to retighten the inside. Just be careful when pressing as an unsupported trunion can crack or deform at the magwell ears.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Forgot to add the swell dimple for the swell neck rivet huh? That sucks.

I did that a while ago. I smashed the hell out of the rivet in the short jig to fix it and it came out just fine. You can't even tell.

Might give that a shot before you drill it out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dont drill it all the way through, you risk missing dead center, drill just to the receiver and then pop the head of the rivet off with a pair of vise grips, then tap the rivet out the trunnion and start over :D

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moondoggy
I tried to pressing on the internal part of the magwell trunnion it did not move enough, what is seen in the pictures is after trying to push it further. Before pressing the rivets I checked the pre-dimpling with swellnecks and they fit correctly for all 6 on the wz88 barrel trunnion. When I dimple both sides get dimpled at the same time. I use 1/4" ball bearings, held by tape, in a large machining vice (its about a 10" wide old US made heavy bastard that we use foot pressure on the handle to achieve a nice dimple) I was just distracted when the air was running the press down and I had the receiver not level when the rivet deformed. At the time we had too many things going on in our shop when I was building.

Hopefully tonight I will get time to mill the head flat and drill it with a center drill. Then tap the remaining out with a punch. With my setting plate in place and the receiver held level, this time, this one should easily squeeze correctly.

It should not take more than 15 minutes to solve. I just need to get it to our shop to fix it. Too many distractions are not a good thing. At least the beer was not flowing when I was building this one. :grin:

It testfired with no problems. I was suprised how effective the factory brake is considering its design compared to Bulgarian 74s. I did expect to feel the wire sidefolder more like shooting a AKM with a wire sidefolder. The wz.88 was a pleasant suprise shooting.

Pics will be up when I get this fixed. Then this baby is off to get re-parked and GunKoted AK black. Maybe all finished by Friday night. :dance: :dance: IDPA sidematch rifle this commong weekend.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one like that on my homebuilt 74. It's nice and tight, so I'm not worried about it.

Some of the rivet work on my 74 isn't the greatest, but it is a great shooter.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
it would probably be fine but it would eat at me every time I looked at the rifle until I fixed it,sounds like its bugging you too :wink:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The old swell neck was a tough bastard, even partially drilled, to get out.

Well I fixed it. Now all the rivets are correct. It took a little longer that I planned. Its good to go now.

The trunnions and receiver were blasted and parked before assembly. The rifle was assembled then test fired.
Now its ready for post assembly blast, park, and AK-Black GunKote.
Thats about as solid a finish that I can do.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I thought you would fix it. Looks much better now, even if it was functional before.

Craftsmanship and attention to detail has it's own rewards.

good job.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Iknow I'm late to the game here, but there really is no need to drill the thing out if you haven't refinished the gun. Take a chisel and set it under the gap, making sure you are FLAT agains the receiver (if you angle it you will scratch the receiver) and you can simply cut the rivet off and punch it out, ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
meyerse said:
...Take a chisel and set it under the gap, making sure you are FLAT agains the receiver (if you angle it you will scratch the receiver) and you can simply cut the rivet off and punch it out, ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Wow I don't have balls big enough to try that one. :lol:

The rivets that I use are very strong apparently with it drilled almost all the way thru I had to beat on the remaining stub with a punch and hammer many times.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
tangotag said:
The old swell neck was a tough bastard, even partially drilled, to get out.

Well I fixed it. Now all the rivets are correct. It took a little longer that I planned. Its good to go now.

The trunnions and receiver were blasted and parked before assembly. The rifle was assembled then test fired.
Now its ready for post assembly blast, park, and AK-Black GunKote.
Thats about as solid a finish that I can do.

I would redo it...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BigAL said:
I would redo it...
Redo the second rivet job??:oops: I thought it looked ok and posted the pics. Otherwise I would have just said I fixed it, no pics.
After blasting and park it looks fine now. The mag well trunnion holes seemed canted forward a little. I think that might be why the rivet sat kind of angled on the replacement.
By tomorrow night it will be GunKoted twice with AK-black.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts