AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my first 2 builds. I think they came out pretty good. I learned alot on them and I have made some mistakes that I wont make on the next ones, but I wanted to post some pics and see how I stacked up against other first time builders, and maybe you vets can give me some pointers. Here we go:

The first one, most told me couldnt be done, that it wasnt worth building, blah blah blah. This is a non matching Romanian G kit built on an Armory USA 5.45x39 receiver. The receiver was badly bent when I got it, and some of the holes were egged horribly. I straightened it, opened up the magwell with a dremel, and filed the extractor by hand until it fit. I also had to weld the barrel pin hole on the barrel and redrill it to get it to headspace correctly, anyway, here she is: (Total Cost $37)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Second, is a Romanian G kit that I picked up for $125, built on an NDS-3 Receiver. I got some SAR furniture for free as part of a deal, it doesnt fir perfect, but its good enough until the G furniture can get refinished. I wont ever use an NDS-3 again because of the pain in the ass hole egging. Anyway, I thought this one went rather well, i finished the receiver and receiver cover in KG Gunkote 1600F and left the rest of the parts original finish. (still waiting on the trigger wire retainer thingy from AK-builder) Total cost, about $145

-

-

-

-

Let me know what you guys think, what can I do better? I have a few Tantals, Hungarians, and Bulgarians, and Underfolders to build before I tear into my PLO Ruski parts kits. Thanks for any input!

-Ryan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey it looks like you are 1 up on me.I've only got 1 build so far. Looks like you have a cheap shooter and a nice inexspensive one to go with it. WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! :allright:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Not bad at all. Having fun and YOU being happy with your builds is what counts. Cool thing is that the receiver on your G rifle has cooling vents drilled in for maxium air flow. :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
INFANTRY said:
Not bad at all. Having fun and YOU being happy with your builds is what counts. Cool thing is that the receiver on your G rifle has cooling vents drilled in for maxium air flow. :wink: :grin:
Lol, it had a Bulgy rear trunnion in it to start so the front holes didnt line up :D

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
What'd you use to crush your rivets? Both builds came out good...I love the beater!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i hope my first builds turn out as good as yours!!! i am going to be building them next weekend...i cant wait!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like them both, Im sure the first has given you a real warm feeling knowing you did all the work and for so little money. Congradulations!

What I wouldnt give for some cheep non matching kits now prices and availability of anything else.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your second build definitely shows that that you learn alot on your first build. Your first build is a damn sight better than my first one. Good job.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the kind words. I am going to be building a cheap tantal kit + receiver that I picked up a while ago as the last part of my cheapie builds. This receiver has flaws in it too that I can hopefully overcome.

I will post photos here

Thanks again!

-Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts