AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vepr1.jpg

The Vepr Hunter is on it's way, to my FFL, as we speak.

I'm in sales (dont play golf) and enjoy taking my clients out to the range to shoot. I own LOTS of different firearms and i enjoy shooting combloc calibers, because of MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK!

I bought this as a range gun, knowing that i could "shoot for cheap" and knowing, that for the same $$$$, there are much more accurate, and better semi automatic rifles out there.....But not in 7.62X54R!

I scoured the internet. I could not find any other Vepr's in 7.62X54R ......NONE, NADA, ZILCH, ZIP! (didnt want an SVT, PSL or Drag). I checked with all of the "out of stock" distributors. I was told that there are NONE in the pipeline! Yep, None! (i wonder if this is by executive order of our Commander in Chief?)

I'm in a little state of panic...........ON NO! I WON THE BID! I shot from the hip and purchased this rifle on GunBroker. My intention was to customize it and make it a black rifle, instead of a hunting rifle. Duh.....but it has the cross bolt safety. I'm sure that i can find a tac forearm to fit, but does anyone know if i can fit a pistol grip and tactical stock on this thing? Yes i know its gorgeous "as is", but my clients, want to shoot black guns.

HELP!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sell it and start over. It will be more VEPR 7.62x54r coming in for sale and I am sure if you look in second hand market they are around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Crossbolt safety aside, your biggest problem with putting a "standard" AK stock on will be the fact that the rear of the receiver won't accept one - it's got a "step cut" removing much of the material on the sides of the receiver, and it does not have the standard AK trunnion with a "tongue" on it. Atlantic Firearms is a great source of Veprs and they may be able to help you out with a more conversion-ready model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear WebDevDan; et al,

thanks for the insight and your comments after perusing some pix on the internet today, i figured that the Hunter wouldnt take any sort of "standard" AK stock. its not a slant receiver, nor is it a squareback.....odd duck, out of the vepr lot. it may not take any aftermarket stock at all, even with mods
:(

i'll have to receive the rifle first, but im considering starting with a blank stock (butt) and going from there. its going to need a lot of cheek weld added to the existing stock anyway, if im going to keep it.

ive been looking around and there are several vendors in the knoxville area, that are familiar with VEPR. TGI, Mach 1, SGM tactical. i might try to see if they have done anything like this, or if they have ideas.

i really really like the VEPR over and above the PSL's Drags and SVT's. if i had my druthers i'd like a VEPR (i hear slant is better) with integrated sights 20" barrel, or there abouts. really not interested in the model that has the sight, on the end of the barrel. i have heard that molot/vepr is not going to offer veprs, with integrated sights in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Vepr Super uses the same oddball receiver cuts as the hunter, and I have some experience trying to get an aftermarket stock to fit - it doesn't work without heavy modification to whatever you're trying to attach. I've only ever seen two guys with aftermarket stocks - one was a heavily modified SVD stock and I'm not entirely sure what the other one was. Post Pics og your super veprs! - Vepr "SUPER" - forum.Saiga-12.com this thread has some pictures of them. My girlfriend sold her Super specifically so she could modify one (she has a straight back 308 now and will be converting it to a blacked-out DMR).

I'm not a huge fan of the integrated sites (I like the "classic" AK look), but to each their own. There are several aftermarket foreends available for the integrated site versions. CSS is a great source of conversion supplies. Bear in mind when dressing the foreend that you have a longer gas system than a standard AK, a thicker barrel, and no handguard retainers on the upper tube.

The Veprs in general have a really crappy cheek weld with any sort of optic with the factory stocks. I have a 54r straight back with a side mounted POSP scope and get "chin weld".

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I tried purchasing a 7.62X54R Vepr from them earlier today, and I got a notice about them being out of stock after I tried to add one to the cart. It looks like I will be waiting for awhile to get my hands on one of them.

Unfortunately, I know little about the Hunter variants, so I cannot help the OP.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Leave it as is and shoot it. Its a fun looking rifle. You are in sales right? Go buy another one and make it a tax write off :D at some point you have to turn back after making a wrong turn. You mistook this for a standard pattern AK, but it is STILL a quality firearm. Be happy with the purchase. It will still shoot a big ole cheap bullet, It will still blow a 2 liter bottle filled with water 60feet in the air, and it will still put a big grin on people faces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts