AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking out the SLR-106F and it was not exactly pleasant experience. I will say that all I had to adjust was elevation, windage was right on and the sights are nice and straight.

The problem is possibly the magazines which were Bulgarian 30 round generation I, 5.56x45 waffle mags from Arsenal 10. The malfunction was consistently the same, the rifle would fire a couple of rounds and eject a spent round and a live round would eject with it and fail to strip the next round from the magazine. I only loaded 10 rounds at a time. The 5 round mag that came with the rifle fed flawlessly. Ammo used was PMP, Wolf and UMC. The malfunction could not be duplicated by manually cycling the bolt.

In reading other posts there are similarities with others and their SLR-106F owners. The bolt does not hit the mag so I am ok there, but the spring tension seems a little lacking based on the amount of force to insert the cartridge between the 30 and the 5 round. The live rounds that were ejected exhibited a very slight deformation of the bullet tip but I could not determine what they were hitting.

I am thinking on picking up some generation II mags and see how they perform which brings me to my question. There are a couple of different types, the all black which appear to have metal reinforcements and the clear. I am leaning towards the clear and I was wondering if anyone has both that can give an honest opinion which is better. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Sorry to hear it.

All my black mags are Gen. I, with the slots cut in the top of the mag for the stripper clip spoon, and all work flawlessly. The smoke mags are "Gen II", and I haven't had any issues out of them either, they are made from a thicker polymer, so take them in and out of the mag well a couple times and they should then be good to go if they are a little tight initially.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have run Gen I, Gen II and Gen II smoke mags in my 106 and had several mag related issues with both black Gen I and Gen II, no issues with my smoke mags, YMMV. I ran about 12 different mags and only 3 had issues, 2 I fixed with a dremmel, 1 was a waste. Some 106's had feed ramp issues, but mine seemed to be mag related, good luck

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had magazine problems of a totally different nature; They functioned fine but
1) Were too tight for the release latch (the metal tab in the back spine of the mag was too thick) and
2) Their mag body's width had to be sanded down for total "Drop free" release, even after problem 1 was fixed.

Like you, my factory 5rd was flawless. My mags are clear Arsenal Gen-2's, and black Polish Beryl mags. The clear Beryl mag exploded from spring pressure before I even got to shoot it... stay away from those.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if Arsenal could get Magpul to make their magazines for them?

PMags for the AK...THAT would be the cat's ass.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
blfuller, the malfunctions with my 106 series rifles did not seem to be magazine related. I tried black generation I, black generation II, and smoke generation II. There were malfunctions with all of them. These same magazines work 100% in my Russian Vepr.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
I'll also add that my HK USP40 once had the same problem of ejecting spent cases and the following complete cartridge. I also thought that it was due to a weak magazine spring. HK even thought the same thing. They gave me two new hicap magazines during the ban! That still didn't resolve the problem. I sent it back again and they replaced the recoil spring. Problem solved since. It would be interesting if the bulk of the 106 series problems were related to something as simple as a magazine spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts