AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to try and succeed in building an ak so I am looking to get as much information as i can before i start. I'm not able to get a barrel press tool at this time so i am thinking that the way to go is with a barreled kit. My main questions are about riveting, Like do i need to buy a press tool or even need it use one. Also al the videos i have watch the rivet the front trunnion to the receiver before the barrel in pressed in so how would that work with the barreled parts kits?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
do some more reading and searching. theres tons and tons of info out there.
barrel needs to come out of trunnion, rivet trunnion, and press barrel back in.
ive heard people use the barrel to buck the rivet, i think that is fucking insane.

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1 you will have to press the barrel out regardless if you want to do it the right way. Don't do a screw build. Don't buck your rivets against the barrel either. Might as well do it right or not do it at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So buying a barrel parts kit will actually just cause me more grief than it is worth? Ok thanks for that, and i'm reading through the forums right now trying to get my head on this straight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Buying a barreled kit will be easier, what they're saying is the barrel has to be out when the front trunion is riveted in. you can't get around pressing the barrel out and then back in. Buying a barreled kit will be easier than populating a barrel etc. etc.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The populated barrel avoids having to align and press on the barrel components and drill, ream and pin the components and fit the barrel to the trunnion and set headspace.

The riveting procedures are different process.
More reading as noted. And assess your current tool access and shop skills relative to the procedures that building an AK firearm entail.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
#1-search youtube for AK build videos. #2-Ask your self how many AK's you intend to build. If you only want the one, then it would be cheaper to have it built; if you are dead set on doing it yourself, then you should consider renting tools/jigs, or buying and reselling them after. You might also search for builders in your area, a case of beer can go a long way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a whole playlist of AK build videos and I hadn't thought of renting the tools, I've checked ebay for used ones and didn't find any I'm checking the classifieds here next, and I hadn't thought to see if there are any builders with the tools near me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts