AK Rifles banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
This is definitely the first produced AKM-63 from 1963.

Because had an old Military acceptance marking at the barrel trunnion left. (K. I. 13 in a circle) This was used between 1951 - Dec 1962 / Jan 1963 only.
Also, normally this marking was put at the trunnion right side only. If it's put on the left side means a weapon made by the experimental workshop. Then after the succelfull shooting test, another Military acceptance marking was stamped at the right side of the trunnion.

Automotive parking light Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Also, the experimental workshop used for weapon surface treatment a special semi-gloss painting which clearly sees in the pictures. This was applied to the weapon by hand.

It could be also interesting if the weapon has one letter barrel number prefix e.g. F 153 248443 (31) or a two letter version VA 148 245413. or even a test barrel with 0 prefixes.

P.S. As I see the accessories package is for the AMP, not the AKM-63 as contains the special wrench for the AMP.

· Registered
5,977 Posts
best thread ever! ive been working on figuring out the serial prefixes for a long while now and this thread delivers!

OP im going to have to trade you out of that ma 0001 kit you know that right?

during 2003 or 2004 and for a couple years at least i bought and sold bulk quantities of akm63 kits with original barrel intact thru centerfire systems. all were imported by tgi tennesee guns inc direct from hungary.

i saved every sales flyer they sent me in mail until now from cfs and clearview and shotgun news adds they were just about 100 bucks a kit then and fluctuated as amd65s were much cheaper and plentiful.

i saved too few kits and have been buying them back over the last 12 years roughly. alot of mine are ''ME'' or 'MH'' prefix if matching. i have seen the following prefixes on akm63 kits which were only imported in this one tgi batch original barrels and never plastic always wood mostly refurbished with some being force matched.

without looking as best i can remember at the drop of a hat ive seen the following prefixes and never knew what years they denoted. MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML.

some kits had a wood stock showing it had a hole in rear of receiver where wood had swollen and made a raised circle meaning that kit originally had plastic stocks is my best guess since plastic guns had a hole drilled at rear am i correct?

my initials thoughts as i finally see this long awaited info is... what year is prefix ''ME''? i didnt see it on the chart yet.

did you get this prefix date code list from a factory worker or how did it finally surface?

were the early laminated guns built with hungarian made laminate or russian supplied wood and do any pics exist of an example? raw russian wood or russian shellac coated?

why did hungary only use english letters if the hungarian alphabet uses 44 letters with all the uniquely hungarian letter prefixes that they skipped over?

one more thing...what does an akm63 crate look like and was it any different than an amd65? any pics of one would be amazing to find.

a couple side notes ive noticed... the SL prefixes were all underfolders and pre ban imported by kassnar while the SM prefixes were always full stock either kassnar marked pre ban 1980s or post ban 1990s kbi imports. the SK serials were single stack 10 shot magazine rifles.

the BM47501 and BM50500 type of prefixes ive only seen on the milled ak55 kits and rifles and looks out of place is that akm or ak55?

Reactions: KY AK

· Registered
77 Posts
More precise AKM-63 MFG dates:

Normal
1963 MA 0001 - MA 0300
1964 Q1-2 MA 0301 - MB 5023
1964 Q3-4 MB 5024 - ME 2130
1965 ME 2131 - MH 4470
1966 MH 4471 - MK 6163 BM47501 - BM50500

Training
1964 MG 0001 - MG 9000

Night Vision mont
1973 EA 1751 - EA 4400

Refurbished
1977-1979 mostly from MC, MJ series

Note: ML is not an AKM-63 but AK-63 AKMF
1978-1979 ML 0001 - MN 1718

some kits had a wood stock showing it had a hole in rear of receiver where wood had swollen and made a raised circle meaning that kit originally had plastic stocks is my best guess since plastic guns had a hole drilled at rear am i correct?
No. Early version from MA 0001 till MB5023 could not have a hole in the rear of receiver bottom. Also, AK-63 AKMF doesn't have this feature as well. But during refurbish, repair receivers often changed so both versions could exist regardless its original purpose.

did you get this prefix date code list from a factory worker or how did it finally surface?
10+ year research from Hungarian archives, based on former workers contemporary notes

were the early laminated guns built with hungarian made laminate or russian supplied wood and do any pics exist of an example? raw russian wood or russian shellac coated?
Early plywood furniture was made by Hungary. It was shellac coated, but those plywood parts could not be produced in sufficient quality as well as quantity by the Hungarian wood industry.
As far as we know only two gun with plywood furniture exists. One owned by Hungarian Military History Museum, one for a private collector hand. I posted some photos about this gun on the Cuban AMD-65 topic already.

why did hungary only use english letters if the hungarian alphabet uses 44 letters with all the uniquely hungarian letter prefixes that they skipped over?
Because FÉG used an old USA Terex (materials processing machinery), Acme Gridley screw machines, automatic lathe, and punching stations. Those did not have Hungarian letters. Hungarian unique letters could be punched by hand. see above Workers' Militia AKM as example.

Product Rectangle Font Technology Machine

one more thing...what does an akm63 crate look like and was it any different than an amd65? any pics of one would be amazing to find.
All have same design, but different size:
AMD-65 crate size: 100x60x40 cm
AK-55 crate size:120x64x44 cm
AKM-63 crate size: 120x44x34 cm

a couple side notes ive noticed... the SL prefixes were all underfolders and pre ban imported by kassnar while the SM prefixes were always full stock either kassnar marked pre ban 1980s or post ban 1990s kbi imports. the SK serials were single stack 10 shot magazine rifles.
The US export started in 1985 when Kassnar Import Inc. imported a total of 8,000 SA-85M guns into the US. Of these, there were 2,000 equipped with a wooden stock version (article No.: GA9005) and 6,000 had an under folding metal stock (article No.: GA9021). Serials: SL 00001 - SL 06000 and SM 00001 - SM 02000

After 1989 The new weapon factory designation was SA-85S. (S -mean Sport stock) but between 1990-1994 it was exported into the US by Kassnar Brothers International Inc. under the previous SA-85M name but with a different article number (article No.: GA9501). Serials: SM 02001 - SM 26500

SA-2000M (Semi Automatic 2000 Model) The weapon was made in 8,700 pieces, first imported into the USA by Kassnar Import Inc. (Article No.: GA9200).and then by TGI - Tennessee Guns International Inc. between 1998-2005. Serials: SK 00001 - SK 08700

the BM47501 and BM50500 type of prefixes ive only seen on the milled ak55 kits and rifles and looks out of place is that akm or ak55?
Both.

In 1966, 3,000 were produced for BM for testing, serial numbers BM47501 - BM50500, but the weapon was not put in service.

Air gun Wood Bicycle part Trigger Tool

Wood Tool Bumper Hardwood Wood stain

Gas Bumper Tints and shades Auto part Automotive exterior

· Registered
5,977 Posts
very amazing info here! this thread delivers!

· Registered
77 Posts
@Ibecz Can you tell us more about what the training rifles were ordered for? Where these reserved for military academies or 'boot camps'?
Training rifles were used by regular military, police, and workers' militia units, and all military or police academies.

Three types of training rifles exist:
- non-functional, all of their parts were welded in together, its chamber and magazine were drilled, its wooden parts were painted to black. In some cases, its buttstock was cut down. This type was used during boot camp for example. Those weapon magazines are marked with a 6-8 cm wide yellow stripe.

Squad Military uniform Cargo pants Military camouflage Military person

- deactivated, its barrel was pressed at two or three-point, their firing pin was cut down. It was used mainly in exhibits, or soldiers could practice the weapon function and disassembly/assembly. The weapons had a 10 mm tall 'GYAK' mark.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior

- functional, blank-cartridge only. this type was used by any type of training. those weapons are marked with a 6-8 cm wide yellow stripe.

Cap Air gun Marines Military person Outdoor recreation

In some cases, those training weapons were reactivated. In case an 'ÉLES' (Live) mark was stamped to the left side of the receiver.

Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Gun accessory

Training weapons — except the type which capable of firing blank cartridges — were made from the factory defective or scrap parts.

· Registered
6,115 Posts
Ok so. One by one.

The FÉG have some logic about serials.

Production started in 1959 with AK-47 (AK-55)
AK - prefix mean AK, then
BM - Belügyminisztérium (Ministry of Interior)
BMH - Belügyminisztérium Határőrség (Border guard)
GY - Gyakorló (Training)
BG - BM Gyakorló (Ministry of Interior Training)
B - BM Gyakorló (Ministry of Interior Training)
AB - Export

AKM-63
M(A) - M(K) Módosított (Modified)
MG - Módosított Gyakorló (Modified Training)
EA - Elektronikus AK (It has side mount) (Electric AK - Due night vision optics belong Army Electric department)

AMD-65
D(A) - Deszant (Paratrooper)
BH - Belügyminisztérium Határőrség (Border guard)
BR - Belügyminisztérium Rendőrség (Police)
BB - Belügyminisztérium (Ministry of Interior)
GY - Gyakorló (Training)
BY - BM Gyakorló (Ministry of Interior Training)
T(A)-T(R) - Testőr (Bodyguard)
F(A)-F(Z) - Félautomata (Semi-Auto Export)

AMP
KP - Katonai Puskagránátos (Military Rifle Grenate Launcher)

AK-63 AKMF
M(L)-M(N) Módosított (Modified)

AK-63F AMM
G(A)-G(D) Generálozott (Upgraded, refer to distinguish from the old AKM-63)

AK-63D AMMSz
A - AK
UA - Újonckiképző (Drill)
C-X - Export (They had to start it with C as most letters were depleted)

NGM/NGV
N - Nagysebességű (High muzzle velocity)

SA-85M/S
SL - Sport Lőfegyver (Sport Weapon)
SM - Sport Módosított (Sport Modified)

SA-2000M
SK - Sport Karabély (Sport Carbine)

FAT - FaTusás (Wooden buttstock version)
MAT - Múanyag Tusás (Plastic buttstock version)

Yeah sorry it is a typo in my table it's MG 0001 - MG 9000
Where does this guy fit in? Its from an AMMS kit.
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Auto part Tool

· Registered
124 Posts
Ibecz, do you have a similar date range for Ak-55 serial numbers? I have an SLR-100H that was built using a matching AK-55 kit. Hungarian SN is BM35194 and I’ve struggled to find information on it (meaning the AK-55 kit, I’ve found plenty of info on the SLR-100H guns using Bulgarian milled receivers)

also, you should definitely write a book. The work you’ve done is amazing.

· Registered
77 Posts
Where does this guy fit in? Its from an AMMS kit.
View attachment 319040
It's from a middle-east export batch.

GD 5040 - GI 5802 : For Hungarian MoD 1983-1985
GI 5803 - GN 1530: Export 1985-1986

After 1986 the AK-63F AMM and AK-63D AMMS weapons serial started to use a single letter prefix, instead of a double one.(with one exception EV 0001 - EZ 9999)

It used one letter + six digit like A000001 - A189410 or
one letter + five digit like C 00001 - X 68500

· Registered
77 Posts
Ibecz, do you have a similar date range for Ak-55 serial numbers? I have an SLR-100H that was built using a matching AK-55 kit. Hungarian SN is BM35194 and I’ve struggled to find information on it (meaning the AK-55 kit, I’ve found plenty of info on the SLR-100H guns using Bulgarian milled receivers)

also, you should definitely write a book. The work you’ve done is amazing.
BM35194 produced in July 1963

The book is in development. I can not share details due to NDA but it will be published by a well know US publisher around next year.

· Registered
550 Posts
BM35194 produced in July 1963

The book is in development. I can not share details due to NDA but it will be published by a well know US publisher around next year.
Could you please tell me the date of BM18338?
I definitely will be purchasing a copy of the book.

· Registered
77 Posts
Could you please tell me the date of BM18338?
It was made for the Hungarian Ministry of Interior (mainly Police forces) in 1962

I have two AK63D AMMS kits with sequential serial numbers A131338 and A131339 Were they made in 1986?
No. in 1988, and it was made for the Hungarian Army

· Registered
550 Posts
It was made for the Hungarian Ministry of Interior (mainly Police forces) in 1962

No. in 1988, and it was made for the Hungarian Army
Thank you very much! Please keep us posted when the book is available.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts