AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be a stupid question (questions) but this is my first build and want to do the appropriate research first. I got most of my parts as a gift to start and was just making sure this project is doable with what i have. I got a milled Yugo M70AB underfold kit, a stamped receiver from Childers, a front and rear trunnion from arms of America (polish Millitary). It seems like this will all work together i just wanted to get a second opinion. Your thought/comments are appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
RSB and Top cover will not work with what you have.. you will have to get a Bulgy milled RSB and standard milled or AKM top cover.. oh and then you have to change the gas tube and shit... lots of stuff... bad idea..... buy a romanian kit from AOA and build that... then get you a Tortort milled yugo receiver for your M70AB kit..

Reactions: zeek

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Yep, have to agree. An abundance of extra effort that will result in a far inferior result.

Building a milled kit on a stamped receiver is a bad idea from the start, and there are plenty of nightmarish examples from the dawn of AK collecting to prove this point. Trying to combine standard AKM with Yugo-type parts raises the folly by one order of magnitude. Attempting this as a first build... No.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I almost made the same mistake today. i was looking at Apex deals and saw they have Yugo M70AB kits with new barrel for like $279. I was about to jump on it, but decided to make sure I could find a milled Yugo receiver first... and nothing. The only one that I found was about $350 which negated the awesomeness of the deal. Always check receiver availability and cost.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Original Yugo barrels with decent bores show up for sale sometimes - they are one of the more common and obtainable original factory barrels. And there are several people offering very nice saw-cut original Yugo M70 milled receivers on the AK Files Trader Forum.

If I were going to build up a Yugo milled receiver M70, a rewelded original receiver and original barrel would be the only way to go.....anything less is just a waste of time like pissing into the wind while doing a hand-stand in a mud puddle.

There are a few talented folks who can do a first class job of rewelding a cut original receiver. Given this option, I can't see using even the best of the U.S. made receivers.

The rifle below is one I recently acquired that was restored from a number-matching original barrel kit several years ago. (The photos were taken at one of my other houses in a neighboring free state, where I am free to enjoy the rifles in my collection as God and Mikhail Kalashnikov intended for them to be)

When you factor in the cost of a nice kit, a clean shootable original barrel, and an original receiver + reweld, it does add up, but this is one of those things that are definitely worth doing right - "half-ass" is for Democrats and government workers.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I almost made the same mistake today. i was looking at Apex deals and saw they have Yugo M70AB kits with new barrel for like $279. I was about to jump on it, but decided to make sure I could find a milled Yugo receiver first... and nothing. The only one that I found was about $350 which negated the awesomeness of the deal. Always check receiver availability and cost.
$280. https://tortort.com/collections/all-80-percent-milled-receivers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts