AK Rifles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
getting my ducks in a row before I jump in head first. AK Builder flats seem to be the best and are what I will use for my receiver, starting with quality materials never hurts. I would like to use a jig like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5EGr0gzdk.
Here is where my question arises, I would prefer to use the flats with the tops already bent and machined but they have no alignment holes and the jig uses alignment pins. How do you align a flat, in which ever bending method you prefer, with out the alignment holes ?
Thanks in advance, CMD :twisted:

· Registered
143 Posts
If you are absolutely insistent on using that jig and AK-Builder flats with the top rails pre-bent, then you will have to drill into the flat or into the jig to create a means of indexing the two together.

My recommendation is to get the AK-Builder jig. It is definitely worth the cost, and you won't have to worry about making alterations just to use it.

Also, if you're interested in that jig because you can place the rails in before bending, I would recommend against that as well. Wait till your receiver is bent and you can align the rails with your front trunnion.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was leaning towards that type of jig as I already have a medium sized metal brake, to fabricate the piece that bolts down would be pretty simple. The top rails wouldn't be that hard to bend, just me being lazy ;)
As for welding in the rails, I agree that you would be asking for problems by doing that. I am still curious how the flat w/o alignment holes is indexed to the jig .
I just don't want to over think this and over complicate some thing relatively simple. I tend to do that sometimes.
I appreciate you sharing you're experience with me.

CMD

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mach, excellent link, it gives a great overveiw of the process. Now I know enough to get in trouble with.
Lewcifer820, appreciate the info.
Thanks, CMD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.