AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, thanks in advance for your replies. This is my first build. I've read and read some more. Tons of knowledge on the site. But, I'm finding sometimes you just need to ask the questions yourself.

I received my matching kit. Love the black finish on the parts. See pics below. I'm happy with the kit and glad to be starting. Still need a G2 trigger and will probably also pickup a retainer plate. 922 parts I'm planning are: barrel (1), Receiver (2), Pistol Grip (3), FCG (4-5-6). Still waiting on receiver from Childers. Went with a nitride barrel since I'm very curious about them and they are lower cost if I screw it up.

Couple questions off the bat:

- If I didn't go with the nitride barrel, would a HFC Bulgarian barrel work? I've seen a few around like this one. Wondering if that was even an option.

- Can I re-use the pins in the kit or is it recommended to use new pins?

- Where do most people start with these kits? I was thinking I'd start with riveting the trunions in but open to recommendations.

Black-and-white Photography Monochrome Machine Style

Label

Tool Chisel Metalworking hand tool Drill accessories

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
good luck w/ your build. my first build was also a bulgy 74.
i dont care for the nitride barrels they are hard as shit on bits. the ones from kvar will work, its what theyre meant for.
there is also non chrome and chrome line u.s. barrels available.
youll be fine w/ the nitride just dont get discouraged if it drills hard...
pins are reausable if you dont mushroom them to much on the way out.
i ussually put the rear trunnion in, front trunnion, headspace barrel, make hg retainer slot, populate barrel, last thing trigger guard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good luck w/ your build. my first build was also a bulgy 74.
i dont care for the nitride barrels they are hard as shit on bits.
I've heard that from others as well. Got a new set of carbide bits for the job. We'll see how it goes. Think I'm going to re-use the pins. I did buy a backup set just in case. Do you personally use a jig when you populate the barrel? I've heard string can work.

I've also read on other posts people coming up with false readings on the headspace gauges. Many have found it better to remove the firing pin and using a taped up (2 layers) round and a non-taped round as go/nogo gauges. Do you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i use carbide end mills. i find they last about 5 times longer on a normal barrel.
when people send me barrels to pupulate i use the requiem arms jig, unless youre planning to do a ton it wouldnt justify the purchase.
for builds i just press them on and use a square on my welding table to check them.
there was a guy a few years ago that sold neat squares cut form some sort of composite tile that had a shape that worked on the fsb real nice.
i have never heard of a false reading w/ a hs guage but i dont read a ton of threads that might contain them.
if youre chamber and bolt face are free of debris i cant imagine that.

·
Banned
16,234 Posts
There is a "Build it Yourself" section above vs the individual country sections etc. Better to use that as you progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts