AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here, so go easy on me. I've done some browsing, but couldn't find anything answering this.

I'm looking for a good AK for home defense. I've heard all sorts of things about how xxxxxx-made is better because it has this feature or that feature, but not so good because it has xxxxx. Since there seem to be about a gazillion different countries that manufacture these things, that leaves a lot of options.

I would like it to be in 7.62x39, and I suppose a folding stock would be best for compactness. Also, this thing HAS to be reliable. This will not be a range toy or display piece. If I ever need it (God forbid) I need it to go bang. I've heard some bad reports about some different companies, maybe you guys can clear some of that up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In general, as with anything else, you get what you pay for. There are manufacturers out there that are staples in the industry such as Vector, Arsenal, etc but they are pricey (> $500 for the basics). Mine is a Yugoslavian underfolder from Century Arms. Century's reputation is kinda so-so as far as quality goes but mine shoots like a house of fire. Consistently holds about 2-3 MOA @100yds with iron sights. Never a single malfunction either. Its usually advised to handle the AK in person before buying bc there are so many little things to look for in the build quality.

Having answered your question to the best of my ability, I will now offer my unsolicited opinion about choosing an AK for home defense. IMHO there are better platforms out there for this application.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
thirdeye said:
Having answered your question to the best of my ability, I will now offer my unsolicited opinion about choosing an AK for home defense. I think there are better platforms out there for this application.
It does depend on where you live (lots of land?) but in general, I agree.

But to answer the question, it really depends on what price range you're looking in. AK's, like anything else, vary in price wildly depending on what you're looking at. Anything over $500 typically will have a warranty and will be reliable. It is, however, up to you to take it to the range and shoot the snot out of it to make sure there are no issues with it.

A Polish Underfolder from a reputable builder (Vector, Overland, InRange, POHF, etc) would seem to fit your description. I'm not sure what you're planning on paying though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you can find an Hungarian KBI SA85M I think these were some of the very best thumbhole stock post-ban 7.62 AKs which are still between $500 to $800 range. You could use american parts to reduce the foriegn parts count and reconfigure into a "pre-ban" style. The fit and quality of the Hungarian AKs is very good.

If you could afford $1400+ the pre-ban Kassnar version is fantastic. A beautiful rifle. I snatched up two of the pre-ban folders back when they were $800.00 and have about 5 of the post-ban versions. My only regret was passing on the pre-bans back in the mid 1980's when they were around $500.00. Who knew back then?

In any case, one of my favorite 7.62 AKs and highly recommended as the best buys for cost and quality.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
thirdeye said:
In general, as with anything else, you get what you pay for. There are manufacturers out there that are staples in the industry such as Vector, Arsenal, etc but they are pricey (> $500 for the basics). Mine is a Yugoslavian underfolder from Century Arms. Century's reputation is kinda so-so as far as quality goes but mine shoots like a house of fire. Consistently holds about 2-3 MOA @100yds with iron sights. Never a single malfunction either. Its usually advised to handle the AK in person before buying bc there are so many little things to look for in the build quality.

Having answered your question to the best of my ability, I will now offer my unsolicited opinion about choosing an AK for home defense. IMHO there are better platforms out there for this application.
Agreed thirdeye. The AK, or any other rifle for that matter, would not be the best choice for home defense IMO. Overpenetration is not good, no matter how you shake it. A good handgun in a caliber you are familiar with and practiced with would be a much better choice. Anyway, having said that, I second Yugo underfolder from Century. The prices are going up on these, and they are getting harder to find, but mine also shoots great. Also, you could buy a nice kit like a Romy G, and have a build done by a reputable builder. There is also the MAK 90, which can be had for less than $500.00. These are pretty easy to find on www.gunbroker.com. Chinese AK's are hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How about a nice Saiga 12 shotgun? A shotgun on an AK platform - just the ticket for home defense!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The problem is, if your only tool is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail so to speak. AK weapons are the hammer here, right or wrong there are other tools available that may fill the role a bit better. That boils down to personal prefference. I guess my point is, don't limit yourself to AK tunnel vision.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If an AK is the way that you want to go with a home defense type of weapon and have it be a folder on top of that, I would recommend one of the side folder versions.

They seem to have a better / tighter feel than the under folders. Don't get me wrong, I have two and they are damn sexy. I get a better cheek weld with them. Century series style.

I have a RedJacket Bulgarian 74 metal triangle side folder coming in this week. Can't wait to get my hands on it. The price of 5.45 is probably one of the best deals going. Super light recoil, less than M16.

That being said, my Glock 19 with night sights is the gun that rests on my night stand.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Underfolders and sidefolders can be VERY tight rifles. The problem with underfolders is that most people build them wrong- professional builders included. Some leave out the third pin, some don't twist the locking ring tight enough... etc. Sidefolders are simpler and don't take tweaking to get right, so if you are new to the game this may be of interest to you.

Honestly... I would suggest a Romanian G kit build rifle with either a Romanian side folder or, one built up with an AKS-74 stock. Either of these can be fired while folded, offer tight lockup in the open or closed position, and will be reliable if done by a good builder. Remember... you can buy a fixed stock G kit, and add a Romanian side folder yourself with only a screwdriver.

Here are some good options:

Red Jacket Firearms
Henderson Defense (their rifles include a rail, a bonus)
Vector Arms
W_W firearms
Piece of History Firearms

Or, you can see if any builders in your area will help you assemble a kit yourself. This takes a bit of work, but saves you money and gives you personal satisfaction.

As far as my PERSONAL opinion... home defense? A shotgun, a pistol, or a pistol caliber carbine. What you chose depends on what you want. I have an Uzi... it is heavy, but easily maneuverable and with 25/32/40 round factory mags it has good capacity. It gives the 9mm a little extra velocity, it works with hollow points, high capacity and a folding stock if you need it. These Uzi carbines- for plinking- can be used up to 200 yards... but most people say 100 or so yards is the practical limit using the stock. I've never been in a gun battle so I can't say. But that and low recoil/fast shot recovery/reliability are all good points in the Uzi's favor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I'll try to get all of these in one post.

I'm willing to pay about $800 or so, but less would of course be nice.

For HD right now, I have a Glock 21 on the night stand, the wife has her 26 on her night stand, my EDC 27 on the dresser, and the Mossberg 500 under the bed.

The AK obsession started for me when I started hearing more and more about these organized robbing crews. Sorry, no links to new articles or anything. These guys are usually armored, well armed, and know what they are doing. From what I hear, pistol rounds won't penetrate body armor, neither will a slug or 00 buck from the shotgun. Call me paranoid, but I want a round that will at least have the possibility of stopping the threat by means other than bruising it into submission.

Did some reading and listening and came up with either the AR or AK platform as the most practical for this situation. I'm not really into the AR that much, and I would rather have a rifle with 50 years of reliability behind it. Plus, they're just cool.

Reading back over this, I do sound a little nutty. I'd just rather not find out the hard way that 230 grain Gold Dots don't do the job against Kevlar.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i would get a g build off the EE from a good builder

probably right around 450 spend the rest on ammo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This one? Looks like it would fit the bill to me. From the other posts, it would seem that the seller is OK.

Now the embarrassing part: what do all the abbreviations mean? AMD-65, FCG, NDS-65. Are Tapco brakes and pistons pretty good?

I really hate starting back at the bottom of the knowledge ladder.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
AMD-65 is the Hungarian model number for this rifle.

FCG= fire control group, aka- trigger, hammer, and disconnector.

NDS-65 is the US made receiver that the rifle is built on.

Tapco FCGs, brakes and pistons are very common and well received.

However, some don't care for their other products much.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
It may not look like it, but out of all of my AK's (28+) my AMD-65 is the most comfortable and fun to shoot, at least as far as the 7.62 ones go.

The NDS-65 is a fantastic receiver. If it's the "premium" version, it's based off of the NDS-1, which in my opinion is the best 7.62 stamped AK receiver currently available.

The only caveat about the AMD-65 is that mag changes with a 30 round mag in a high stress situation can be complicated by the forward grip. It's doable, but you need to practice. You'll notice the one in that picture has a 20 round mag, as they were originally equipped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
m0ondoggy said:
The NDS-65 is a fantastic receiver. If it's the "premium" version, it's based off of the NDS-1, which in my opinion is the best 7.62 stamped AK receiver currently available.
That was another question I had. Is there a big difference between stamped and milled receivers?

m0ondoggy said:
The only caveat about the AMD-65 is that mag changes with a 30 round mag in a high stress situation can be complicated by the forward grip. It's doable, but you need to practice. You'll notice the one in that picture has a 20 round mag, as they were originally equipped.
Can the forward grip be changed to a more typical style one, or is that integral to the rifle? Also, is there a big advantage to having the vertical forward grip over the original? It doesn't look all that ergonomically friendly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts