AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am in the market for my very first Ak-47, Three in particular have caught my eye that seem to be of decent quality, they are all chambered in 7.62x39 and in my price range of (600$-750$). The first being the Yugo m70 with the solid stock, the second the centurion c39, and the last the M+M m10. I want some thing that is (#1)built well and of good quality (#2) Is reputable and reliable and (#3) some thing that can be moderately customized (In that order of importance). Your 2 cents is greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I would normally choose the yugo but in your case I'd go with the Romanian m10. Yugos are great rifles but are not as easily customizable. Stock and handguards don't interchange with other AKs and aftermarket pickings are slim. The lack of a chromed line barrel is a negative but ive never let that sway me towards not picking a better rifle. With thicker barrels and receivers yugo rifle are some of the most accurate AKs I've owned. Not to mention they are built like a tank.

The c39 is century's attempt at a US made AK. While they do seem to have good reviews they don't appeal to alot of AK owners. With it being a US built rifle it translates to commercial version. As in not a milspec rifle like other AKs are. Some people are fine with that as some owners love their c39s. Resale value seems low because of the century branding and because it's not really a true AK. Just a US made commercial version.

The Romanian m10 is a decent rifle. Romy rifles have been known for sloppy fitment and plywood furniture. But where it makes up for it is they flat out run. I hardly ever hear of a problem with romy rifles other than the canted FSB. Even then, they still shoot fine and zero. The chrome lined barrel is a plus if you shoot corrosive ammo. If not, it's a added selling point if you were to sell it in the future. All parts are interchangeable with other AKM rifles unlike the yugo and c39.

BTW, welcome to the forum. And try to get the hell out of Chicago.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have a C39 and it's a great rifle. Anyone who dismisses it simply because it is US made is missing out. I put Bulgarian furniture on mine and it looks great. $600 for a milled AK is possibly one of the best deals going, but some people want to dismiss them because they are made by Century. That's their mistake...

And it's ironic that anyone would degrade it for being a "commercial version" of the AK. What do they think the current N- and O-PAPs are?

Second, chrome-lined barrel are overrated. Even with one, it's a bad idea not to clean the rifle after every shooting and once again, the N- and O-PAPs don't have them either.

Lastly, any milled parts will work on a Centurion; as you can see I've replaced not only the furniture but also the selector and top cover on mine; so the "interchangeable" claim is a non-issue as well.

The Romanian M10-762 isn't a bad rifle but it's known for being pretty rough around the edges. I would much rather have a SAR-1 (which I do), and my WASR 10/63 has been 100% but it was a Henderson Defense-certified one so I knew it would be straight. They weren't bad rifles when they were cheap, but at the same price as a Yugo PAP or C39, it would be my last choice out of the three you listed.

But given that all three are Kalashnikovs, they should be solid shooters. I have yet to have an AK give me any issues, other than requiring the front sight to be repinned on one of my Yugos...

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I have a C39 and it's a great rifle. Anyone who dismisses it simply because it is US made is missing out. I put Bulgarian furniture on mine and it looks great. $600 for a milled AK is possibly one of the best deals going, but some people want to dismiss them because they are made by Century. That's their mistake...

Its no secret that century has built junk. Why would the c39 be any different? While i do believe that the c39 is a big step in advancement for century, they have a long way to go to clean up their reputation. Also, Have you ever tried or sold a century gun? The value just isn't there in resale.

And it's ironic that anyone would degrade it for being a "commercial version" of the AK. What do they think the current N- and O-PAPs are?

Made with mil spec parts for commercial use. The century c39 isn't. With the lack of bayo lugs and a windage adjustment on the FSB, that should tell you right there that they aren't a milspec rifle.

Second, chrome-lined barrel are overrated. Even with one, it's a bad idea not to clean the rifle after every shooting and once again, the N- and O-PAPs don't have them either.

As stated. Like I said, I wouldn't choose a lesser rifle because it had a chromed barrel. Other factors are involved in choosing a rifle. But some people are stuck on the fact that they have to have a chromed barrel.

Lastly, any milled parts will work on a Centurion; as you can see I've replaced not only the furniture but also the selector and top cover on mine; so the "interchangeable" claim is a non-issue as well.

Sure about that? Measure your barrel and tell me if FSBs, GBs, and RSBs fit from a ak47.

The Romanian M10-762 isn't a bad rifle but it's known for being pretty rough around the edges. I would much rather have a SAR-1 (which I do), and my WASR 10/63 has been 100% but it was a Henderson Defense-certified one so I knew it would be straight. They weren't bad rifles when they were cheap, but at the same price as a Yugo PAP or C39, it would be my last choice out of the three you listed.

But given that all three are Kalashnikovs, they should be solid shooters. I have yet to have an AK give me any issues, other than requiring the front sight to be repinned on one of my Yugos...

Cheers! M2
If your happy with your c39 the good. But given the choices presented I don't see why a NEW ak owner would choose a c39. Maybe if he had other variants first then the c39 would become a good option.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If your happy with your c39 the good. But given the choices presented I don't see why a NEW ak owner would choose a c39. Maybe if he had other variants first then the c39 would become a good option.
Technically, they are all "new manufacture" rifles so I don't see a huge difference other than the country of origin. Actually, give the Centurion being built on a milled receiver and its price, it is probably the more desirable of the three. The PAPs are based on the old M70s and while the latter were demilled and rebuilt on US-made receivers; the rest of the rifle has true history to it. The M10-762 doesn't have that either.

Lastly, as a true collector I don't buy guns for their future resale value; I buy them to shoot. I have owned several Century-made rifles and with the exception of having to repin hte front sight on one, they've been 100%.

I know a lot of people love to blast Century, but as someone who put his own money down on a Centurion and who has had great, firsthand experience with one, I think my testimony is a bit more credible than someone whose opinion is based solely on what the read off the Internet.

By the way, the claim that PAPs are "made with mil spec parts for commercial use" is laughable, how is that any different than any other AK? Many parts for military, milled AKs will fit the Centurion, as everything I replaced on mine can have that claim made. It's pure hyperbole to sell rifles, nothing else...

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Technically, they are all "new manufacture" rifles so I don't see a huge difference other than the country of origin. Actually, give the Centurion being built on a milled receiver and its price, it is probably the more desirable of the three. The PAPs are based on the old M70s and while the latter were demilled and rebuilt on US-made receivers; the rest of the rifle has true history to it. The M10-762 doesn't have that either.

So in your mind newer = better? Also, you talk of "true history" but I fail so see how the c39 falls into that group.

Lastly, as a true collector I don't buy guns for their future resale value; I buy them to shoot. I have owned several Century-made rifles and with the exception of having to repin hte front sight on one, they've been 100%.

And if you read the OP you would see the OP is NEW the the AK. He might decide the AK rifle isn't for him and decide to sell it. If so why should he take a big loss on it? Why not pick a rifle that fits his needs with resale being a consideration?

I know a lot of people love to blast Century, but as someone who put his own money down on a Centurion and who has had great, firsthand experience with one, I think my testimony is a bit more credible than someone whose opinion is based solely on what the read off the Internet.

So because you have a decent century rifle that means that all century rifles are good? Century has a reputation for a reason. Have you seen the threads on c39s jamming?

By the way, the claim that PAPs are "made with mil spec parts for commercial use" is laughable, how is that any different than any other AK? Many parts for military, milled AKs will fit the Centurion, as everything I replaced on mine can have that claim made. It's pure hyperbole to sell rifles, nothing else...

What is laughable Is your last paragraph. Ever build a AK with a US barrel? Feel how soft the barrel is compared to a euro milspec barrel? That is the difference! That hardness of the parts!
You really need to check your facts. Do you not know that their is a difference between ak47 parts and AKM parts? Replacing furniture on you c39 does not mean that "everything interchanges".

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Wow, you really think you're the only one to be allowed to have an opinion on AKs? Do you also think you're the only one knowledgeable of them on here?

Or, the even bigger question, have you even shot a Centurion, much less owned one?

Basically what you are telling me is that based on what you have read on the Internet, you're telling me that the C39 isn't a good rifle. Much of what you are basing that on is other products Century has put out over the years. I guess you're not old enough to remember when Honda cars first came out, and weren't that great at first either.

I am basing my opinion on actual ownership of the rifle, so honestly what someone who has most likely not even shot one says isn't going to convince me very much.

So give whatever advice you want, but quit attacking others because they don't agree with you.

By the way, since you're so big on checking facts, go do your own research and tell me how the parts used in a PAP are, as you say, "made with mil spec parts for commercial use." Such a claim is joke, but as you are adamant about others backing up their remarks with facts it's time for you to do the same!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Wow, you really think you're the only one to be allowed to have an opinion on AKs? Do you also think you're the only one knowledgeable of them on here?

Where did I state that my opinions were the only that mattered? Maybe you need to reread post #5 if you need to understand more as I clearly said that if you are happy with your rifle then good.

Or, the even bigger question, have you even shot a Centurion, much less owned one?

If I do is it going to be something magical that I've never experienced before with my bulgy, yugo, romy, chinese, Egyptian, Hungarian, or polish AKs? For the record, I have and own century AKs. Nothing stands out on them other than the poor craftsmanship. If you recall, earlier in this thread I stated that the c39 may be a step up for century's poor craftsmanship.

Basically what you are telling me is that based on what you have read on the Internet, you're telling me that the C39 isn't a good rifle. Much of what you are basing that on is other products Century has put out over the years. I guess you're not old enough to remember when Honda cars first came out, and weren't that great at first either.

Reading is fundamental. What I am telling you is that century doesn't have the greatest reputation. Based on feedback and my own personal experience.

I am basing my opinion on actual ownership of the rifle, so honestly what someone who has most likely not even shot one says isn't going to convince me very much.

And that's fine. I stated that in post #5.

So give whatever advice you want, but quit attacking others because they don't agree with you.

Please state where I was attacking you. If I recall I was offering my opinion based on experience and knowledge.

By the way, since you're so big on checking facts, go do your own research and tell me how the parts used in a PAP are, as you say, "made with mil spec parts for commercial use." Such a claim is joke, but as you are adamant about others backing up their remarks with facts it's time for you to do the same!

The PAP series rifle is made at the same plant with the same parts as the military issued rifles. The PAP line is their commercial version made for export (what do you think PAP stands for). Feel free to look on your own....
It wasn't my intent to spin this thread into the negative zone. More so to educate the op on the differences on the rifles. It seems in post #4 you took offense to my original reply for some reason. If you felt your c39 was being "downgraded" then I really don't know what to tell you. It is what it is.

In a attempt to end the differences of opinions, I'll bow out of this thread and let some other members offer their opinions.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I'll add my opinion. Majormadmax this is nothing personal. I just don't see a milled receiver automatically being something amazing and $600 is nothing to sneez at. To me it's the company rep and the quality of all combined parts, not just the receiver. I feel the same about Century VZ.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
To the original poster: Buy the Centurion 39. I don't own one but I did research the shit out of them and also handled a few at my LGS and they appear to be a solid deal. And besides, I don't know how to break it to you but once you own and shoot one AKM, you'll be hooked and eventually you'll have the others anyway. Good luck!

To MajorMadMax: Your C39 looks AWESOME!! Nice choice on the Bulgy furniture. Now makes me think I should look for one of these sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Underfolder pap gets my vote

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last week i took the plunge and ordered the Yugo N-pap Gen 2. Last Friday i picked it up and am really happy with it. It has a really nice fit and finish and altogether feels more solid than the M-10. I threw on a Damage Industries muzzle break, and Magpul grip and took it to the range shot well and had no issues. IMG_20140612_095739.jpg IMG_20140612_094744_590.jpg IMG_20140612_223147_209.jpg

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
You have a nice rifle there. Good job on making a decision! (I don't own any of them so I couldn't add anything to the discussion). Someone will probably chime in about the mods you added but don't listen. The rifle is yours and you are allowed to make it like YOU like it! Well done and welcome to the insanity!

·
Registered
449 Posts
You have a nice rifle there. Good job on making a decision! (I don't own any of them so I couldn't add anything to the discussion). Someone will probably chime in about the mods you added but don't listen. The rifle is yours and you are allowed to make it like YOU like it! Well done and welcome to the insanity!
Yup,

Unless he adds at least 2-3 more us made parts he's in violation of federal law 922r with that grip and muzzle brake on there.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I really wanted a us made ak. Why I don't know. I guess for the uniqueness of it. Anyways, the only us made one that was out at the time I got my mak90 was the io inc sporter. I went with the Mak instead. But now i'm seriously debating going with the centurion. Hell I might even sell the Chinaman and get one.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yup,

Unless he adds at least 2-3 more us made parts he's in violation of federal law 922r with that grip and muzzle brake on there.

N-PAPs are modified in country to have:

US made hammer, trigger, and disconnector (3 parts).
US made gas piston (1 part).
US made muzzle device (1 part, note that he has replaced with US made part).
US made grip (1 part).

6 compliance parts = good to go.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I think he's ok. All of the PAP's come with G2 FCG I believe.

I had a few Mak's too back in the day but sold them after the ban sunset and upgraded. I still have a pre ban thumb hole Maadi which has never been fired. May try to trade her for something...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts