AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First AK-47 furniture markings.

Making a trade for a Russian Tula 1973 AK-47, chrome Romanian barrel, East German wood stocks, unfired. Profesionally built by a reputable Armory. Im new to AKs and kind of taking a shot in the dark on paying real money instead of getting a WASR. Didn't even ask if reciever is milled or stamped. Talk to me about what I'm getting:rolleyes: Thanks

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
From what you described so far it seems good, we'll need pictures though to say for sure. Just for sanity safe, try checking headspace, receiver type, Nodak, AUSA etc. and rivets are correctly crushed and no barrel parts are canted. If you trust the builder it came fom or know of his good reputation there shouldn't be any problems, but if you're dropping some serious money on it it's always good to be sure. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Builder was Cotton Wood Armory in Texas, all matching numbers. Traded a complete Delton upper /LRB lower bare bones AR-15 + 350. Never fired the AR, I finished it and immediately decided I am not an AR guy.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Based on what you're saying about the AR....$150 for the complete lower...$400-500ish for the upper... plus the $350 in cash... you probably over paid a little bit, but I wouldn't worry too much. Never heard of Cottonwood Armory but if they put it together right, you have an AKM with an original barrel (not US made) that should last a lifetime. Shoot it and enjoy it! As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

·
Banned
950 Posts
For a grand you can get a factory built AK. However we all learn about these things one way or another. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and trust me- it might be your first but won't be your last.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For a grand you can get a factory built AK. However we all learn about these things one way or another. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and trust me- it might be your first but won't be your last.
For what its worth, I am not worried about the amount invested in the AR. Guns are a hobby for me, not my livelyhood. I could have done it probably $100 cheaper if I had been patient and waited for deals on used gear. I got to spend a year learning about the AR platform as I put things together and that was worth a few bucks in entertainment. Once I put the upper on it I knew what I new already, the AR is a mostly plastic rifle that doesnt fit my personality or the vibe of the rest of the rifles I own. Also, I already have ammo for my SKS so i don't have to load up on another caliber. I like cold war history and a Russian/Romanian/East German AK "trips my trigger". I will try to get a pic posted tonight.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Huh, I don't know much, but that wood looks Russian to me. Maybe a Russian AKM kit with a Romanian barrel?

If that's the case then I say you did pretty well.

Does the barrel have any markings on it?
What type of receiver is it built on?
Numbers match, got a pic of the front trunnion markings?

Either way it looks good, like a classic AKM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What is attached to the bottom of the trigger guard? GARY
Ha Ha My Brother !! BE THANKFUL THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS. I am in the Peoples Republic of California. The attachment on the bottom of the trigger guard is called a "bullet button". California law is written in an attempt that you not be able to quickly reload, even though by California law you would only be changing out a 10 rounder for another 10 rounder. It requires that a "tool" must be needed to remove/change magazines. So the bullet button was invented. It just covers the magazine release so that you can't get to it with you finger. You need a bullet or some similar device to get inside that little cover you see, to depress the mag release. If I want to get rid of the "bullet button" I must remove the standard pistol grip and replace it with an odd looking webbed grip device that you cant wrap your hand around. These are comonly called "grip wraps" or "Monster Man" grips. MonsterMan Grips Does any of that make sense? No it doesn't. If you ever vacation in california and want to bring a firearm do your homework. AR/AK type rifles must ,at a minimum, comply with what i have described. NO magazines of any type for ANY firearm over 10 rounds, unless they are dissasembled and stored as "parts kits" or "rebuild kits" NEVER to be assembled whilst in California. On the upside, the weather is nice 95% of the time and humidity is almost nonexistent here in San Diego. Fair trade off?? Not for me but its where the Lord has placed me for the forceable future so i deal with it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thanks. I was in LA a few years ago. Did the double decker bus tour. Walked the Hollywood walk of fame, etc, all the while knowing my unmolested AK's were waiting for me here in Florida. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. GARY

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh, I don't know much, but that wood looks Russian to me. Maybe a Russian AKM kit with a Romanian barrel?

If that's the case then I say you did pretty well.

Does the barrel have any markings on it?
What type of receiver is it built on?
Numbers match, got a pic of the front trunnion markings?

Either way it looks good, like a classic AKM.
Seller insists it is East German lumber. He said the original stock set with the Russian kit was in bad shape so he replaced it with EG. Problem is I don't know that there is really a way to tell if this is legit EG or not?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Looks like a good trade! I'd have done it. Especially for a Delton!

Do the trunnion and other # parts ALL match? It does look like Tula wood. High comb stock, small rounded palm swells. If seller insists its EG, OK! You got the good stuff. Pop it apart and take a look at all the numbers! What receiver is it built on?

Robert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts